Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

1 hour ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

18z run says hold on there just a minute....

22 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I think you forgot about the infamous "Northwest trend". i'm sure we've got our fair share coming. Sincerely, the guy who didn't buy it two days ago.

I do my analysis in "real time", thank you very much. Who would've thought the models would change.  :)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you forgot about the infamous "Northwest trend". i'm sure we've got our fair share coming. Sincerely, the guy who didn't buy it two days ago.

That NW trend is what I'm watching for the storm Fri. Wouldn't take much for that moisture to get thrown back this way. The euro has shown that a couple times and the gfs several.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

That NW trend is what I'm watching for the storm Fri. Wouldn't take much for that moisture to get thrown back this way. The euro has shown that a couple times and the gfs several.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

If the storm does keep slowing like the models are showing, combine that with the possible NW trend and we might seriously be in business. One can hope anyway.

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

If the storm does keep slowing like the models are showing, combine that with the possible NW trend and we might seriously be in business. One can hope anyway.

Just got home from work but the 12z EPS isn't half bad. Big difference from the 0z last night though the mean is skewed due to some whopper members. 

It's all about the trendzzzz.

KTNB_2017120300_eps_snow_360.png

KTNB_2017120312_eps_snow_360.png

The trailing clipper gives us token flakes, but the coastal low with an expanded precip shield is what we should root for here in WNC. Member 17 of the 00z EPS shows what's possible if the Southern energy slows and the trailing wave dropping in from the north is allowed to phase. Not saying this is going to happen, but it's still on the table (5 or so EPS members show 7"+ for KAVL). I think we are seeing the models latch on to this slower trend. EPS members have gradually increased the amount of precip WNC receives, and if that baroclinic zone can orient its flow over the SW mountains, we will be in business. This is going to be fun to model watch this week. I think all options are still on the table.

7bd92c84be41a41480a47fed1c879bb9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Most on this board don't want the stronger storm because 850mb temps in their location would likely be too warm, but a more amped storm that runs closer to the coast pushes more moisture into WNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate it for them but we in the mountains will take our chance with this setup every time. At least I will.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Most on this board don't want the stronger storm because 850mb temps in their location would likely be too warm, but a more amped storm that runs closer to the coast pushes more moisture into WNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was say February or something and we had a good winter, I'd be all over wanting the rest of the board to cash in. But it'd December and we haven't had ours yet, so bring on  a fullblown miller A if possible.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

18z NAVGEM is where we want things to get too. The low is certainly trending in the right direction as you guys have said.

d0b05d383ddee96509d8bfa4efa67c25.jpg

0b2867d0999a68e74f2fadcc1e2dc8ff.jpg

80f26bf45775677088ada1208595ae0f.jpg

45553e3e5c9d0817f815fa40f12a2061.jpg

0168df7a6914c09a290338c07575c6a7.jpg

2b7d1e3702a4b344d7ccfd020fd1badf.jpg

Almost even develops a deformation feature. Models seem to be playing catch up with this one, and WNC is the spot you want to be when that begins to occur.

We usually are. People tend to forget that. We have elevation and a prime spot in storms like this. 

1 hour ago, NC_WX10 said:

Euro takes a step in the right direction. Few more shifts NW in precip shield and we could be looking at a nice event.

3 days out of last January's 8"-er the Euro/EPS showed me us getting around an inch with most of the snow SE. Same for the big snow the year before. We'll be fine. Euro looks good for snow from 18z Friday through 12z Saturday or so based on RH charts IMO.

Agree with above posts. Euro did indeed follow the NAM northwest (12Z Dec. 5 package) for Friday. Nobody is interested in the GFS but it is the same to better. 18Z NAM is tough, but just one run and the event is still beyond 60 hr. At forecast temps chance to squeeze out some snow is reasonable. Saturday clipper is still there too. 

Considering the robust snowmaking the next 3 nights, plus two chances of light natural snow and good temperatures round the clock, this weekend looks good for skiing and riding.

Archived