Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

SSSNNNNOOOOOWWWWWW. Went up to Roan Mountain and there was quite a bit of rime ice and, more importantly, some SNOW falling. :D 

Grandfather is white near the top as well. 

Getting some nice flurry action as we speak. High today was 38.7.  Had wind chills in the mid 20's for most of the day. Very winterish feeling.

Now for some accumulation. Maybe Saturday night?

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Getting some nice flurry action as we speak. High today was 38.7.  Had wind chills in the mid 20's for most of the day. Very winterish feeling.

Now for some accumulation. Maybe Saturday night?

If this winter is like the last few, you just experienced my coldest day of the winter.

A nice cold morning with a temp of 26 degrees! Congrats on the snow fellas! As for this weekend it seems like the models are warming just a bit and our chances for flakes have gone down slightly. The best snow chances will be I think right on the boarder and further north because that is where it seems to be more moisture recently according to the models. Have a great day fellas!

15 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

A nice cold morning with a temp of 26 degrees! Congrats on the snow fellas! As for this weekend it seems like the models are warming just a bit and our chances for flakes have gone down slightly. The best snow chances will be I think right on the boarder and further north because that is where it seems to be more moisture recently according to the models. Have a great day fellas!

Nice. Down to 36 here. Coldest so far for MBY. No frost outside though... 

Hoping Monday morning takes care of my growing season. 

I am optimistic about NWFS and at the same time agree with Ray that most of the Southeast will be mild. La Nina with -QBO should promote cold air in northwestern North America. Primary weather pattern looks like a mild SER, even if the Southwest US is also mild. Secondary pattern should occasionally deliver cold to the Southeast. During this secondary pattern one would hope for NWFS. For skiers the challenge is covering up the ice with powder. I'd wait for one night of grooming/NWFS and then ski the heck out of Day 2.

Great news is that it seems like the upslope or upper level moisture coming in Sunday morning looks to be pretty good again along the NC/TN border counties. It is going to get cold and really windy. This will be our first real taste of winter. Most of all the counties along the border will see some type of snow shower action Sunday. After this cold snap things are going to kind of revert back to what we had through the first of October with a trough in the West and a ridge in the East. So we are really going to warm up for the future heading into November. The PNA will be driving the weather pattern so it looks too dip way negative. Not good for us in the short term. 

6 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

The latest Euro looks to have some very nice snow shower action for Sunday. How does the euro handle upslope compared to the American models? The GFS and Nam seem to not have as much snow for us compared to the Euro.

Great question for sure. I'm not real sure. The NAM is horrible and the GFS does pretty well but when you are talking about localized climates in the mountains it's a crap shoot. 

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Great question for sure. I'm not real sure. The NAM is horrible and the GFS does pretty well but when you are talking about localized climates in the mountains it's a crap shoot. 

Let's hope the euro is handling this one well!

2 hours ago, chapelhillwx said:

Hey guys! Recently moved to Atlanta and want to drive up tomorrow to at least see some snow fall. Anyone have any recommendations of routes to drive? Preferably closer to SWNC or TN. Thanks! 

I'm not really sure about SW but Franklin or Cashiers might be good. But if you can travel up into Northern Jackson or Haywood you will be able to see snow tomorrow. 

18 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This rain is impressive tonight. Over 1.5 inches and counting for today. Impressive.

I'm at almost two (1.92). That puts me over the 8-inch mark for the month. That's crazy here for October. 

Looking forward to the 5-F's tomorrow. Fire, Food, Friends, Football, Flakes.

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

I'm at almost two (1.92). That puts me over the 8-inch mark for the month. That's crazy here for October. 

Looking forward to the 5-F's tomorrow. Fire, Food, Friends, Football, Flakes.

Yeah we went from no rain at all in September to getting pretty much the rest of our rainfall for the year in one month, this month with some big rain totals. Yeah tomorrow will be a great day to kick back build a fire and watch it snow.

5 hours ago, Met1985 said:

I just got word they are closing the road to Clingmans Dome...

It would normally have been shut down on Nov 1 anyways. It's closed from Nov 1 to March 31 every year no matter the weather. Saves the NPS from having to run people out to close it. I believe they also shut down the parkway from Cherokee to Sylva, correct?

7 hours ago, chapelhillwx said:

Hey guys! Recently moved to Atlanta and want to drive up tomorrow to at least see some snow fall. Anyone have any recommendations of routes to drive? Preferably closer to SWNC or TN. Thanks! 

You are 2 1/2 hours from the Cherohala Skyway in Graham County. The road climbs to 5700' and never closes..Take NC 143 West. You have an excellent chance of seeing snow

8 hours ago, chapelhillwx said:

If you wanna stay in GA you can always try 129 over Blood Mountain/Neel's Gap. They'll likely see some flurries tomorrow afternoon. Same goes for Richard Russell Scenic Highway from Helen to Blairsville. Brasstown Bald would be a great place if they keep the road open (they probably won't). 

Archived