Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 15 day stretch starting October 24 through November 8th will average below normal temp wise for our region(SE). Can't see out past that time with alot of confidence but don't see any reason to be pessimistic verse optimistic past 11/8.

May not mean much flake wise, but none of us will be sunbathing and wearing summer wardrobe.

a couple things about the 18z is that next weeks front looks better. It seems will will likely get a killing freeze and we will likely see highs in the 30s and 40s. Also there seems to be a system that swings through on the back side of the trough that may give us a chance of snow snow flurries on this run. Still I am not banking on that a lot currently. The extended after November 1st looks horrible.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

a couple things about the 18z is that next weeks front looks better. It seems will will likely get a killing freeze and we will likely see highs in the 30s and 40s. Also there seems to be a system that swings through on the back side of the trough that may give us a chance of snow snow flurries on this run. Still I am not banking on that a lot currently. The extended after November 1st looks horrible.

I'll take a good frost at this point. Lowest temp for me thus far is 36.3. Highs have been pleasant the last couple of days but I like that 40 degree high/low spread we can get this time of year.

I have to say the leaf color was absolutely horrific this year, at least for Yancey and Mitchell counties. What color that did come through was so dull that it looked almost brown. It might still have time for the lower elly's but we're pretty much done up here. Sad, it kinda' kicks off the winter season for me. 

But.....one of the best things about living in the mountains is that it will snow. Maybe not as much as we want, but it will snow. Looking forward to the first one. While I'm naked, in a hot tub, on my deck.

But.....one of the best things about living in the mountains is that it will snow. Maybe not as much as we want, but it will snow. Looking forward to the first one. While I'm naked, in a hot tub, on my deck.

You mountain folk enjoy your snow a little differently than we do down here in the lowlands, it seems. We tend to walk, sled, build, and observe it, but we don't tend to do any of that sans clothing.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

I'll take a good frost at this point. Lowest temp for me thus far is 36.3. Highs have been pleasant the last couple of days but I like that 40 degree high/low spread we can get this time of year.

I have to say the leaf color was absolutely horrific this year, at least for Yancey and Mitchell counties. What color that did come through was so dull that it looked almost brown. It might still have time for the lower elly's but we're pretty much done up here. Sad, it kinda' kicks off the winter season for me. 

Yeah sometimes in these early season cold fronts we get mixing issues with elevation. Seems like you have encountered that. Yeah the leaf season is very dull and around Haywood pretty much sucks. Yeah we will get snow. Even in the horrible 2011/12 year we got 14 inches lol. 

11 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

Was in Boone today for the game. And all I can say is mother nature owes everyone a refund. No color at all. Sticks and grayish brown leaves. Well find out down this way in 10 or so days but probably get same result.

Boone looks like junk but the Parkway over Grandfather FINALLY has good color.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Looks like some of y'all could get some moisture...

GSP HWO

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday.

..Monday...Heavy rain possible. Rainfall totals of 3 to 4 inches will
be possible through Monday evening, especially along the eastern
slopes of the southern Appalachians. 

1 hour ago, franklin NCwx said:

All joking aside,  it should be the first flakes of the year and some light accumulations in the higher elevations near the border. 

Yeah I agree. The mid term patter has flipped for the better. I like most of what I'm seeing. Going to get a lot of rain today. Already raining heavily. 

Ok some takeaways from today's 12z gfs is that we are going to probably see a killing frost this week. Will we see some flakes? I'm not really sure. Most of the moisture has dried up that would have given us some flakes. The rest of the week looks very cool and fall like until we get into next weekend. We see an even better trough coming into the east for us that will bring us colder weather than what we are going to see and that may actually give us our first flakes of the season at least that is the way it looks currently. So we go cold then we rebound a bit and then a stronger cold front comes through next weekend. Also in my opinion in that the GFS is doing a much better job with the trough orientation than the Euro is. The euro has been bouncing around a lot with next weekends trough while the GFS has been pretty steady.  

Archived