Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tyler Penland said:

Nice. We hit 35 yesterday morning but had no frost. Kind of odd. Oh well nice to get it in before November this year.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

hit 31 at my house according to local readings. When I was headed to work at around 9 am we still had some in the shade. Honestly very exciting lol.

Back in the hills for the winter. Great summer in Salter Path. Never really got so hot that made it feel uncomfortable. Plus, the fishing was exceptional. One of the best years in a while.

Can't believe how dry it is here. According to my station, we haven't had any measurable rain since Irma where we got 5.12 inches. Hope that changes some in the next couple of days. I thought the dry weather was supposed to be good for leaf color but after a quick ride around the county they seem a little dull around here. Still early but even the leaves at my house are either brown or gone. The wind tomorrow might take the rest.

Anyhow, here's to a great upcoming winter. We're due. Cant be as bad as the last couple.

2 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Back in the hills for the winter. Great summer in Salter Path. Never really got so hot that made it feel uncomfortable. Plus, the fishing was exceptional. One of the best years in a while.

Can't believe how dry it is here. According to my station, we haven't any measurable rain since Irma where we got 5.12 inches. Hope that changes some in the next couple of days. I thought the dry weather was supposed to be good for leaf color but a quick ride around the county they seem a little dull around here. Still early but even the leaves at my house are either brown or gone. The wind tomorrow might take the rest.

Anyhow, here's to great upcoming winter. We're due. Cant be as bad as the last couple.

Welcome back brother.  I have been disappointed in the leaves also.  Many are already on the ground or brown above 4500’

Here’s hoping winter brings some good surprises 

1 hour ago, Poimen said:

Looking for some help: thinking of taking a drive on the parkway tomorrow around Boone. Can someone give me a report on the foliage? Should I wait another week? 

Probably going to be a few days before they are at their best. But with the rain and wind we're having this week a lot of the leaves might be stripped off. 

21 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Probably going to be a few days before they are at their best. But with the rain and wind we're having this week a lot of the leaves might be stripped off. 

Plus, the forecast's not great. Even if the sun does come out up top it'll take awhile to boil the rain we've had today out of the valleys. I look for a gloomy day tomorrow, at least for the first half.

Nice soaker today. A little over two inches of rain with a max wind gust of 37. It was needed.

We just returned from Sylva, NC and the leaves are still pre-peak. Weekend of Oct. 14 might be the weekend on the Parkway; however, weather may be more clear late this work week. Following weekend of the 20th should still be nice at lower elevations. My feel from the Balsams back to the Smokies is that leaves are on schedule or only a few days early.

We did not make it north of Asheville. Hopefully the Linville to Boone area can pull off a miracle. Reports this thread do not inspire up that way, but I have a feeling the Balsams to the Smokies farther south will light up well in a few to several days. If not, this might be the year of the valleys instead.

From what we saw, Nate had little if any impact on leaves. Thankfully wind was meh. Might have been stronger up on high ridges, but most of the leaves are still in place well up the mountain sides. Bottom line: We fired early on Fall Break. Still believe it will be a good season esp mid-mountain to valley. 

6 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I have a theory. This theory is that the longer this pattern holds, the bigger the reversal will be when the pattern finally does change. And since it looks like it might be November before that happens.....Bingo.

Bob chill posted some good stuff in the winter thread about this.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, nrgjeff said:

Hopefully the Linville to Boone area can pull off a miracle. Reports this thread do not inspire up that way, but I have a feeling the Balsams to the Smokies farther south will light up well in a few to several days. If not, this might be the year of the valleys instead.

From what we saw, Nate had little if any impact on leaves. Thankfully wind was meh. Might have been stronger up on high ridges, but most of the leaves are still in place well up the mountain sides. Bottom line: We fired early on Fall Break. Still believe it will be a good season esp mid-mountain to valley. 

I've been up and down between Boone and Mitchell the past couple weeks and the warm-up after the cold definitely hurt us pretty bad. There's good color on Grandfather but it's still very splotchy, and I figure we'll see the current color fall off before any of the still green turns next week. Very disappointing for sure, but still some good color to be seen. Shot these earlier in the week (Viaduct picture is slightly out of focus at distance, I know, weather hasn't cooperated to re-take). 

22424461_1656639304368175_73148285837653

22365403_1656153797750059_64054707526727

Be prepared for some frost advisories being put up for Monday night and Tuesday night. This is going to be a shock to the system after this long term warmth we have been dealing with. This is still a short term cool down. We will warm back up after this brief cool down until maybe, maybe the end of the month. 

Archived