• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

With the fall equinox coming up in just 12 days and already some fall weather this past week I figured it was about time to get this thread cranking. 

Went up on the Parkway for a bit this afternoon and there's quite a few reds starting to show up. The Boone Fork area looks to be running 2-3 weeks ahead of last year with some considerable color change going on. Grandfather Mountain as a whole is getting that yellow "tinge" to it as well as some trees around the house. Also noticed some nice change along the Linville River just above the Gorge last week (it always starts early). 

Here's to a cold and snowy 6 months ahead!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in Boone Saturday actually saw 2 or 3 trees completely fooled. 80% turned. Anyway it's been very cool low dps here this first half Sept. You'd need a jacket out tonight with the wind, temp siting on 60 as the sun goes down and 700ft above sea level, so for yall wouldn't be suprised to see leaf season come early. Crab grass and Bermuda are starting that fading out tinge early down this way.

Well, while I take a few hours to switch my focus from one hurricane to another, wanted to think about winter for a minute. My feeling based on seasonal models plus personal input is a much closer to average winter. Temps being around average with anomalies throughout the season being one to two degrees above normal. I think we will see a dry first half of winter with above average precip in the second half. But due to temps still being above normall, we have below normal snowfall. And now, onto Jose.

25 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Well, while I take a few hours to switch my focus from one hurricane to another, wanted to think about winter for a minute. My feeling based on seasonal models plus personal input is a much closer to average winter. Temps being around average with anomalies throughout the season being one to two degrees above normal. I think we will see a dry first half of winter with above average precip in the second half. But due to temps still being above normall, we have below normal snowfall. And now, onto Jose.

Hey now. I'll have none of that talk in this here thread. I want to hear snow, snow, snow. 

But seriously I haven't really looked into the seasonal stuff this year. I used to get all excited about that stuff but these days it just seems like more and more of a quarter flip in a hurricane to me, especially so far out.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Hey now. I'll have none of that talk in this here thread. I want to hear snow, snow, snow. 

But seriously I haven't really looked into the seasonal stuff this year. I used to get all excited about that stuff but these days it just seems like more and more of a quarter flip in a hurricane to me, especially so far out.

What I'm trying to do is be a pessimist so that way I won't cliff dive in November and get called out for it. (Granted the past two winters were worth cliff diving in November lol)

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I hope that even below normal snowfall up here will still exceed my expectations.  One good 4-6"snowfall and I'm happy.  

45 minutes ago, Rainforrest said:

Gettin bad here in transylvania county power out everywhere trees down with lots of reports of trees on houses. 

Seems like the worst of the wind has been from Highlands to your area. Thankfully the wind has not been too bad here. Rain has been steady all day but nothing even close to flooding. 

7 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Seems like the worst of the wind has been from Highlands to your area. Thankfully the wind has not been too bad here. Rain has been steady all day but nothing even close to flooding. 

Yeah I agree. To me this is just a good rain storm. Just puts more water in the ground and more water in the water table. Again anything opposite of last year I am fine with.

With the remnants of Irma moving out we will have a pattern change coming up. the pattern will essentially flip from what we are seeing currently. A big trough will will be carved out in the west and give the upper Rocky mountains there first taste of winter. We will be dealing with average temps probably from 70-80 degrees. pretty normal for this time of the year but will feel hot after days and days in the 50s and 60s. This pattern may continue through a good part of fall. We will have to see.

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

With the remnants of Irma moving out we will have a pattern change coming up. the pattern will essentially flip from what we are seeing currently. A big trough will will be carved out in the west and give the upper Rocky mountains there first taste of winter. We will be dealing with average temps probably from 70-80 degrees. pretty normal for this time of the year but will feel hot after days and days in the 50s and 60s. This pattern may continue through a good part of fall. We will have to see.

We'll see. So far this year it's seems that any relaxation of the eastern trough has been short lived.  You know it's been cool when our warmups are average temps

Just now, franklin NCwx said:

We'll see. So far this year it's seems that any relaxation of the eastern trough has been short lived.  You know it's been cool when our warmups are average temps

Lol yeah it's been very cool. Did we average below normal for August? I mean our average high is in the mid to upper 70s still. We have been stuck in the 50s and 60s for several days.

Archived