Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

My parents live south of Cleveland, GA and they both just texted me it's about the worst they've seen. Seems to be an area of enhanced winds behind that band running from Dahlhonega to Clayton. Cornelia had dropped off to 40MPH gusts back to 55.

I can confirm. This may be worse than Ivan. getting 58mph gusts!!  I have at least two trees down in the yard. 3-5' limbs all over the neighborhood.  Powers still out and apparently much of my county is out of power - neighbor said her friend in town said many stop lights and power lines down in downtown Cornelia (I just went in my yard lol so that is a second hand report). 

The winds are stronger now than earlier this evening. I am scared to see what my back yard looks like tomorrow. wow.  

Edited to add: the wind link lookout posted has not registered winds below 50mph for the last 10 min (since I have been looking since coming back in). 

1 minute ago, NEGa said:

I can confirm. This may be worse than Ivan. getting 58mph gusts!!  I have at least two trees down in the yard. 3-5' limbs all over the neighborhood.  Powers still out and apparently much of my county is out of power - neighbor said her friend in town said many stop lights and power lines down in downtown Cornelia (I just went in my yard lol so that is a second hand report). 

The winds are stronger now than earlier this evening. I am scared to see what my back yard looks like tomorrow. wow.  

Here's the HEMC outage map. Pretty much if you are with them you are out of power. outage14.thumb.PNG.2896c5f4fa350719ed3972593dbe3a2e.PNG

Can confirm the lights down too. Reader sent us this at Now Habersham earlier.

21552020_1975813616020207_4157285909357808723_o.thumb.jpg.40f84d5ccf33afd6273e907a0cdfe9b8.jpg

22 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Here's the HEMC outage map. Pretty much if you are with them you are out of power. outage14.thumb.PNG.2896c5f4fa350719ed3972593dbe3a2e.PNG

Can confirm the lights down too. Reader sent us this at Now Habersham earlier.

21552020_1975813616020207_4157285909357808723_o.thumb.jpg.40f84d5ccf33afd6273e907a0cdfe9b8.jpg

Wow thanks. That's not too far from mby.  Wonder how long our power is out lol

5 minutes ago, NEGa said:

Wow thanks. That's not too far from mby.  Wonder how long our power is out lol

The man handling dispatch for the Habersham road crews is expecting some areas to be out for multiple days. They only have 16 people out clearing roads but they can't even get to a lot of places due to power lines. 

edit: Davis station at UNG just hit 62MPH!

5 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

The man handling dispatch for the Habersham road crews is expecting some areas to be out for multiple days. They only have 16 people out clearing roads but they can't even get to a lot of places due to power lines. 

edit: Davis station at UNG just hit 62MPH!

Thanks. That's amazing - why can't we get a winter storm to way over produce like this one lol

Winds have finally died down here and power just came back on. What a storm. Strong wind gusts for about 11 hours straight...it peaked between 3-9. Did not expect it to get this bad here. Mixed feelings. After about 5 or 6 hours, you grow tired and want it to end, but at the same time, to experience the howling wind gusts and lashing tropical rains was a cool experience.

Surprisingly enough, no trees fell near my house , though my house did sustain some minor damage(gutters falling apart, windows screens falling off, things like that).

Looks like hartsfield did get a 64mph gust.  Impressive.  Good luck to those still without power. One of our Georgia stores in conyers at my workplace is still without power.  This morning the roads were covered with little bits of leaves and twigs etc.  only a couple of big trees down in douglas county that I saw.  Overall not near the destruction of Opal but still a noteworthy storm for Atlanta.

16 hours ago, No snow for you said:

Duke just told my friend they are not going to restore power until the winds drop below 20 MPH gust. Fireman said trees and lines down everywhere. We are lucky to still have power. Every house on our street has no power except us and 4 others. Hurricane party. Wooooo

Brutal for those out! Sounds like individual lines out vs whole block. They will restore large lines and groups first. 

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

Looks like hartsfield did get a 64mph gust.  Impressive.  Good luck to those still without power. One of our Georgia stores in conyers at my workplace is still without power.  This morning the roads were covered with little bits of leaves and twigs etc.  only a couple of big trees down in douglas county that I saw.  Overall not near the destruction of Opal but still a noteworthy storm for Atlanta.

It's all about the ACE. Sounds like a song.

Looks like how much of a pain Irma was for you depended upon where you were relative to the heavier bands (duh - you mean, COMMON SENSE applies here?  People on the other side of the Metro might have legit experienced *different* weather than I?)

Other than brief 5-10 minute periods of high winds and gusts - a few spectacular gusts - it's just been drizzle-to-rain-and-back and windy since Monday morning here.  A few power flickers. Lots of small vegetative debris, totally saturated ground w/ponding, some building materials blown over from the neighbor's business.  Nothing broke, nothing fell down on anything important.

Spring thunderstorms have done worse.  

What we got is annoying and messy debris & erosion but I'll take it over chainsawing trunks into pieces and using my truck to haul trees out of the driveway so we could get down to the road only to find that the streets were flooded.  And doing all that with the power off for another several days so we couldn't even relax with hot showers and cold beverages afterwards.  That's what happened when Jeanne and Ivan remnants passed over, and that's what I prepared for.

I'm not going to complain about it not sucking as bad as it could have.  It's not like if I don't get to USE all my prepping that the prepping was wasted.

Quick cross-post from the (now abandoned) main storm thread, Keys aftermath:

Lengthy update on the Keys. Mostly not good to 'very bad' (for example, zero functional hospitals), although they don't mention casualties. I believe an aircraft carrier is anchored down there for support, and they just sent the "Iwo Jima" as well (forgive my total military ignorance here ... although I just looked it up and Wikipedia calls it an 'Amphibious assault ship'). 

https://keysnews.com/article/story/irma-recovery-update/

So of the handful of deaths in florida most were preventable. Several nursing home patients died due to possible heat related conditions.....5 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning and a man in tampa had a chainsaw kick back and hit his carotid artery. Sad to see very preventable deaths occurring.

Archived