Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

25 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I wonder how many posts were deleted from this thread leading up to LF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough?

This thread was mostly unreadable at times even with the heavy moderation and deleting of posts. I think the criticism from Harvey (and others I'm sure) is simply that they think this thread was/should be a catch all for everything. It has never been that way on this site. This thread is for reasoned discussion of the forecast. There are other threads for other things. I hope those new posters stay, learn from more experienced people, both about the weather and about how to use evidence to substantiate their claims. This site has been very beneficial for me in many ways and I'm sure it can be for them too.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seldom post, but I have to rant. Mods, delete if needed./

I'm by no means well versed in weather, hurricanes, forecasting...you name it. But I strive to learn. I am totally disappointed with the evaluations happening here now. Incompetence, overhype...you name it. We do not as yet have anywhere near the information we need as to the actual longer term effects of Irma, especially given the flooding in Georgia and South Carolina, not to mention millions (that boggels my mind) out of power. How hard is it to wait for a week or two before passing judgement. I happen to be extremely impressed by how well warnings and model info were conveyed; as a novice and learner, I could grasp it. I believe many more would have died had all of this not happened.

End rant/

6 hours ago, Amped said:

Over hype is going to happen with any storm that is a cat5 5 days from landfall.   Nothing can be done about it.  People are going to get a false impression in there head and from the media about how bad the storm is going to be in their back yard and then blame NHC when that false impression is wrong. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:09 PM, Amped said:

Some of the bays in west Florida will see a tsunami today. The ocean is like a pendulum, if you pull it back and suddenly release it, it will overshoot it's equilibrium.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:56 AM, Amped said:

Last remnants of the inner eye clearing out the last few radar frames.   I thinks that's why it's starting to bomb.

Regarding the NHC, they did their job; providing knowledge to help save lives.  

If the NHC was one category over/under and 25 miles off with the track...fine/fine/fine.  

This is a team of PhDs and other top shelf experts that weigh the best evidence they can gather.

Having made a conscious choice, 10,000 people stayed behind in the lower keys?  

Assuming they are still alive, these folks are off the grid with no power and no open business to replenish.

The forecasts are close to "good enough".

We've got to fine tune evacuation instructions so people realize exactly "what could happen".

7 hours ago, HarveyLeonardFan said:

Despite the bad forecasts and the over reliance on the Euro the tv nets had great wall to wall coverage and great pictures. Years ago in the early days of cable tv did not go wall to wall days on end. The game has changed. It used to be CNN deploying John zarella and that was about it. He'd throw it over to flip spiceland and that'd be about it. Then it would be on to other news.

Now, all 4 networks go balls to the walls with great sound and great images because the numbers go way up during hurricane coverage. CNN is number 3 behind Fox and msnbc but during hurricane coverage they win because they draw in non political viewers who rarely watch the news.

Whoa, tell us how you really feel...

We get it.  The storm had a few surprises on its approach to Florida... and each one was fortuitous for the state.  Heaven forbid the NHC alert folks about the possible scenarios! We've seen the worst case play out many times.  I will never understand the outrage over an evacuation that proves unnecessary.  

Take a breather, dude.

7 hours ago, Dunkman said:

Not enough?

This thread was mostly unreadable at times even with the heavy moderation and deleting of posts. I think the criticism from Harvey (and others I'm sure) is simply that they think this thread was/should be a catch all for everything. It has never been that way on this site. This thread is for reasoned discussion of the forecast. There are other threads for other things. I hope those new posters stay, learn from more experienced people, both about the weather and about how to use evidence to substantiate their claims. This site has been very beneficial for me in many ways and I'm sure it can be for them too.

And I completely disagree with this.  But then I've been against the entire separation of regions and segregation of topics that's been ongoing all the way back to Eastern.  When I want to read about a hurricane I want to see info about all aspects.  It's simply not natural for someone to have something to say and then compartmentalize that thought into one of multiple sub categories to post to the appropriate thread.  And it doesn't lead to a natural flow of discussion.  99% of what I saw that belonged in another thread and was removed never made it into another thread.  So it just ends up censoring a large portion of the conversation.

I hate to say it, but I got more information from Reddit than here.

I guess all I'll say on the moderation post-mortem is that in one of the few posts I made during actual landfall (Naples specifically) I asked if people would post links to the cams/livestreams/etc they were commenting on. (There were a lot of posts like, 'storm chaser123's feed is nuts right now' but no links.) My post was insta-deleted, but the feed commentary with no links remained.

If link info had been provided, I would have tried to collate the info in the media coverage thread. (I think breaking out a few things like that into separate threads is good, but I also understand it's kinda pointless if people refuse to read anything but the main thread.)

I do understand that as a non-met/noob/someone who doesn't have wx in my screenname, my opinion is not terribly relevant, and that's fine.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Good night sweet Prince.

I'm glad that most of Florida avoided the worst of Irma, however from a meteorological weenie standpoint, it was a bit of an anti-climactic ending. 

How so? Would it have been more of an interesting ending if Irma went bombs away and wreaked more havoc and destruction in FLA and the SE?  Most won't admit to it, but there are posters that feel exactly that.  As they were eating their snacks and drinking cheap beer in far away places in the safety of their homes. 

Ideally this place should be able to balance unbridled weather "enthusiasm" with empathy and self-moderation, basing thoughts/opinions on data and obs versus some predetermined "maximum outcome" agenda.

My lurking here goes way back to the Eastern days, after becoming a refugee from the Accuweather forums because, well because I think people understand why.  Outside of various twitter follows this is the best place for info and expert opinions from a wide group of mets and advanced hobbyists for events like Irma.  IMO the mods did a fine job of controlling the conversation, it really comes down to individual members governing their own behavior and realizing that no, just because you love weather it doesn't mean you should post stream of consciousness takes on how awesomely destructive and intense a hurricane will end up.  Especially against all available evidence and guidance from the NHC.  You could really see that after the Saturday 11pm advisory, with all the "bombs away!", "it's going to RI!", "the radar is wrong, it's not seeing the explosive trend" takes.

58 minutes ago, thess said:

I guess all I'll say on the moderation post-mortem is that in one of the few posts I made during actual landfall (Naples specifically) I asked if people would post links to the cams/livestreams/etc they were commenting on. (There were a lot of posts like, 'storm chaser123's feed is nuts right now' but no links.) My post was insta-deleted, but the feed commentary with no links remained.

If link info had been provided, I would have tried to collate the info in the media coverage thread. (I think breaking out a few things like that into separate threads is good, but I also understand it's kinda pointless if people refuse to read anything but the main thread.)

I do understand that as a non-met/noob/someone who doesn't have wx in my screenname, my opinion is not terribly relevant, and that's fine.

This is the correct way to discuss what people might want done differently in the future (sorry if thats condescending ;) ). Its a work in progress. 

8 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

How so? Would it have been more of an interesting ending if Irma went bombs away and wreaked more havoc and destruction in FLA and the SE?  Most won't admit to it, but there are posters that feel exactly that.  As they were eating their snacks and drinking cheap beer in far away places in the safety of their homes. 

Ideally this place should be able to balance unbridled weather "enthusiasm" with empathy and self-moderation, basing thoughts/opinions on data and obs versus some predetermined "maximum outcome" agenda.

My lurking here goes way back to the Eastern days, after becoming a refugee from the Accuweather forums because, well because I think people understand why.  Outside of various twitter follows this is the best place for info and expert opinions from a wide group of mets and advanced hobbyists for events like Irma.  IMO the mods did a fine job of controlling the conversation, it really comes down to individual members governing their own behavior and realizing that no, just because you love weather it doesn't mean you should post stream of consciousness takes on how awesomely destructive and intense a hurricane will end up.  Especially against all available evidence and guidance from the NHC.  You could really see that after the Saturday 11pm advisory, with all the "bombs away!", "it's going to RI!", "the radar is wrong, it's not seeing the explosive trend" takes.

Please stop with the self righteousness and stop condemning people on an anonymous weather board when millions of people watching on television shared similar sentiments.  A hundred thousand people a day usually watch the weather channel. During potentially catastrophic weather events these numbers spike to over 3 million and CNN's numbers were going through the roof and they weren't tuning in for paddy cake wind gusts to 50 in your back yard.

42 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Take the morality conversation somewhere else. While I don't wish any one particular location harm, it would have been more interesting if Irma could have become one of only four hurricanes to landfall in the US as a Cat 5.

Secondly, a lot of us here have the knowledge to know how systems are "behaving". If you came on here looking for a regurgitation of whatever the official forecast is, you came to the wrong place.

Final Irma advisory (11 am) -

WTNT31 KWNH 121506
TCPAT1

POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE IRMA ADVISORY NUMBER 54
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD AL112017
1100 AM EDT TUE SEP 12 2017

...POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE IRMA IS BRINGING MODERATE TO LOCALLY
HEAVY RAIN TO PARTS OF THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY...TENNESSEE
VALLEY...AND THE SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.2N 87W
ABOUT 50 MILES...85 KM...NNW OF BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
ABOUT 100 MILES...165 KM...E OF TUPELO MISSISSIPPI
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...10 MPH...15 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 26 MPH...42 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB...29.62 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
FLOOD AND COASTAL FLOOD WARNINGS ARE STILL ONGOING ACROSS PORTIONS
OF FLORIDA

FOR INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE WATCHES
AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...THE CENTER OF POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE
IRMA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 34.2 NORTH...AND LONGITUDE 87 WEST.
IRMA CONTINUES TO LOSE TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AS IT MOVES
NORTHWESTWARD TOWARDS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. IRMA WILL CONTINUE TO
WEAKEN THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON TUESDAY.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
-------
RAINFALL...REMNANT BANDS FROM POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE IRMA ARE
EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2
INCHES...WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER AMOUNTS...THROUGH TUESDAY ACROSS
PORTIONS OF NORTH CAROLINA. LOCALIZED INTENSE RAINFALL RATES WILL
LEAD TO ADDITIONAL ISOLATED FLASH FLOODING AND RAPID RISES ON
CREEKS, STREAMS, AND RIVERS. CLOSER TO IRMA'S REMNANT CIRCULATION
CENTER...AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAINFALL IS EXPECTED
ACROSS NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI, EASTERN ARKANSAS, AS WELL AS WESTERN
TENNESSEE AND KENTUCKY. SIGNIFICANT RIVER FLOODING WILL PERSIST
OVER MUCH OF THE FLORIDA PENINSULA IN THE WAKE OF IRMA, WHILE
ADDITIONAL RIVER FLOODING WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS GEORGIA AND
EASTERN ALABAMA.

...SELECTED PRELIMINARY STORM TOTAL RAINFALL IN INCHES THROUGH 11
AM EDT

...ALABAMA...
ALBERTVILLE 4.8 WNW                   3.60                    
GUNTERSVILLE 2.2 SW                   3.57                    
EUFAULA MUNI ARPT                     3.25                    
DOUGLAS 6.8 NW                        3.22                    
TALLADEGA 1.6 SSE                     3.20                    
SALEM 3.9 ENE                         3.14                    
DOTHAN RGNL ARPT                      2.76                    
MONTGOMERY                            2.15                    

...FLORIDA...
FT. PIERCE ST. LUCIE CNTY INTL ARP   15.91                    
OVIEDO                               14.76                    
CHEKIKA                              13.83                    
INLIKITA 7 WNW                       13.63                    
GAINESVILLE 2.4 NW                   12.22                    
MIMS 8.5 W                           12.11                    
NAPLES                               11.87                    
NATIONAL KEY DEER NWR                11.74                    
OVIEDO 1.6 SE                        11.54                    
CACHE                                11.49                    
STARKE                               11.33                    
WEST MELBOURNE                       11.21                    
JACKSONVILLE 9.6 SE                  11.17                    
FLEMING ISLAND 2.2 S                 11.11                    
SWITZERLAND 4 WSW                    11.11                    
PANTHER WEST                         11.08                    
ORTEGA 1 WNW                         11.00                    
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA 3 NW           10.42                    
FORT MYERS INTL ARPT                 10.33                    
SUMMERFIELD 3 SSE                    10.04                    
OASIS RANGER STATION                  9.67                    
OKEECHOBEE COUNTY ARPT                9.65                    
FORT LAUDERDALE EXEC ARPT             9.57                    
ORLANDO/SANFORD ARPT                  9.42                    
OCHOPEE                               9.27                    
OLUSTEE 3 N                           9.17                    
ALACHUA 5 SE                          8.61                    
MILES CITY                            8.26                    
BELLAIR 3 W                           8.11                    
OPA-LOCKA AIRPORT                     7.99                    
ORLANDO EXECUTIVE ARPT                7.68                    
FORT WHITE 4 SE                       7.57                    
INTERLACHEN 4 NW                      6.22                    
TALLYRAND 2 NNW                       6.15                    
DAYTONA BEACH INTL ARPT               5.86                    
HOLLYWOOD 3.9 SW                      4.68                    
PALM CITY 3.1 NW                      4.58                    
FLEMING ISLAND 1.7 SE                 4.56                    
MIAMI BEACH                           3.95                    
VERO BEACH 2.5 S                      3.25                    

...GEORGIA...
ST MARYS RIVER NEAR KINGSLAND 5SSE   10.12                    
NAHUNTA 6 S                           9.57                    
CUMBERLAND SOUND NEAR ST MARYS 5ENE   9.18                    
HOMELAND                              7.99                    
THALMANN 5 ESE                        7.89                    
BOYS ESTATE 3 S                       7.84                    
FOLKSTON 10 SW                        7.80                    
JESUP 10.0 NNW                        6.96                    
SAVANNAH/HUNTER AAF                   6.88                    
KINGSLAND 3 WSW                       6.85                    
ATKINSON 1 WSW                        6.66                    
RICHMOND HILL 7.0 ESE                 6.63                    
BRUNSWICK, MALCOLM MCKINNON ARPT      6.32                    
SAPELO ISLAND 1 NW                    5.97                    
RINCON 5.3 NNE                        5.00                    
WAYNESBORO 3.3 SW                     4.87                    
DOUGLASVILLE 3.7 S                    4.83                    
FAYETTEVILLE 1.4 NNW                  4.32                    

...MISSISSIPPI...
ABBEVILLE 8.2 SE                      1.21                    
BATESVILLE 2.2 SSE                    1.17                    
NEW ALBANY 5.3 SSE                    1.15                    

...NORTH CAROLINA...
FAIRVIEW 3.8 ENE                      5.61                    
SWANNANOA 0.4 NNE                     5.39                    
BURNSVILLE 1.5 WNW                    5.28                    
ST. JAMES 1.9 W                       5.26                    
HENDERSONVILLE 9.6 ENE                4.70                    

...SOUTH CAROLINA...
CHARLESTON 5.0 WNW                    8.65                    
SUMMERVILLE 1.9 N                     7.25                    
MONCKS CORNER 3.2 NE                  7.13                    
DANIEL ISLAND 1.0 SE                  7.11                    
CANADYS 0.4 NW                        7.00                    
CHARLESTON NWS WFO                    6.18                    
EDISTO ISLAND 2 WNW                   6.05                    
BLACKVILLE 2 W                        6.01                    
BEAUFORT MCAS                         5.88                    
SANTEE 5 NNE                          5.74                    
FOLLY FIELD 1 SW                      5.67                    
CHARLESTON INTL ARPT                  5.53                    
EASTOVER 6 SW                         4.97                    
NEW ELLENTON 4 S                      4.81                    
EDGEFIELD                             4.12                    
SUMTER                                4.11                    
COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT                3.14                    

...SELECTED PEAK WIND GUSTS IN MILES PER HOUR EARLIER IN THE
EVENT...

...ALABAMA...
TROY MUNICIPAL AIRPORT                45                    
WEEDON FIELD AIRPORT                  43                    
ANNISTON ARPT ASOS                    40                    
MONTGOMERY REGIONAL AIRPORT           40                    

...FLORIDA...
NAPLES 2 ENE                         142                    
MARCO ISLAND 1 E                     130                    
LELY 2 ESE                           122                    
BIG PINE KEY 2 NNW                   120                    
QUAIL CREEK ESTATES 2 SSW            112                    
NORTH PERRY AIRPO 2 WNW              109                    
KEY BISCAYNE 8 SSE                    99                    
MIAMI INTERNATIONAL 1 W               99                    
NORTH PERRY AIRPO 3 WSW               98                    
SWEETWATER 2 NE                       96                    
CAPE CANAVERAL 3 NNE                  94                    
OCEAN REEF 8 SE                       93                    
BELLE MEADE 1 S                       92                    
KEY LARGO 8 SSE                       92                    
OCHOPEE 1 W                           92                    
CACHE AT EVERGLADES                   91                    
KEY WEST 2 W                          91                    
ROYAL PALM RANGER S 4 W               91                    
CORAL GABLES 1 ESE                    90                    
OCEAN REEF 8 SSE                      89                    
SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTL ARPT           89                    
MAYPORT NAVAL STATION                 87                    
PORT EVERGLADES                       87                    
DEERFIELD BEACH 3 W                   86                    
JACKSONVILLE INTL ARPT                86                    
KEY LARGO 1 SE                        85                    
REDLAND 8 NNW                         85                    
FORT MYERS FAA/AP                     84                    
SUNRISE 1 W                           84                    
FLAGLER BEACH                         83                    
GOULDS 1 NE                           83                    
HOMESTEAD PARK 1 WSW                  83                    
OAKLAND PARK 3 NW                     83                    
PINECREST 2 SSW                       82                    
FIU SOUTH CAMPUS                      81                    
HAULOVER CANAL 3 E                    81                    
POMPANO BEACH AIR 1 ESE               81                    
RSW SOUTHWEST FLORIDA A               81                    
IMMOKALEE 2 ESE                       80                    
SOUTH MIAMI 2 W                       80                    
FISHER ISLAND 3 ESE                   79                    
FIU NORTH CAMPUS 1 ESE                79                    
FORT DESOTO PARK 3 W                  79                    
FLORIDA CITY 1 ESE                    78                    
FORT LAUDERDALE 2 W                   78                    
NORTH PERRY AIRPORT                   78                    
SANIBEL 4 ENE                         78                    
SUNRISE 2 E                           78                    
CLEARWATER 4 WNW                      77                    
PARKLAND 2 W                          77                    
WEST MIAMI 2 SE                       77                    
BARTOW 10 SSW                         75                    
DAVIE 2 NE                            75                    
DELRAY BEACH 3 WSW                    75                    
SAINT AUGUSTINE 1 NW                  75                    
LITTLE HAITI 2 SE                     74                    
BUNNELL                               72                    
COUNTRY WALK 1 N                      72                    
HOLIDAY 4 SW                          70                    
INDIAN LAKE ESTATES 2 S               70                    
LITTLE HAVANA 1 NNW                   68                    
LAUDERDALE BY THE 2 NW                67                    
PORT EVERGLADES 1 SSE                 66                    
DOWNTOWN SAINT PETE 4 E               65                    
SANFORD AIRPORT                       65                    
CORAL SPRINGS 1 W                     64                    
DELAND                                63                    
DANIA BEACH 1 NW                      62                    
ST. AUGUSTINE 6 NNW                   62                    
CROSS CITY AIRPORT                    61                    
HIALEAH GARDENS 1 E                   61                    
POMPANO BEACH                         61                    

...GEORGIA...
FORT PULASKI                          70                    
FORT SCREVEN                          70                    
TYBEE ISLAND 1 NNE                    65                    
HARTSFIELD ATLANTA INTL ARPT          64                    
MIDDLE GEORGIA REGIONAL ARPT          61                    
SAVANNAH AIRPORT                      60                    
TALLAPOOSA 4 SSE                      59                    
HABERSHAM COUNTY AP                   58                    
VALDOSTA 2 WNW                        58                    
CLEVELAND                             57                    
LITTLE OCMULGEE STATE PARK            57                    
DUBLIN                                54                    
PERRY                                 54                    
COLUMBUS AIRPORT ASOS                 53                    
VIDALIA                               53                    
ATHENS 3 ESE                          52                    
BANKS CROSSING                        51                    
JASPER 2 SSW                          48                    
TUCKER 2 SE                           47                    
MOODY AFB                             44                    

...NORTH CAROLINA...
HIGHLANDS 2 NNW                       56                    
CASHIERS 1 ESE                        51                    
BOOMER 3 ESE                          47                    
BELMONT                               45                    
CHARLOTTE DOUGLAS INTL ARPT           45                    

...SOUTH CAROLINA...
PARRIS ISLAND 6 E                     76                    
FOLLY BEACH                           72                    
ISLE OF PALMS 1 ESE                   68                    
SULLIVANS ISLAND 1 E                  68                    
BATTERY POINT 1 NNW                   66                    
BEAUFORT                              66                    
CHARLESTON 2 SSW                      66                    
DANIEL FIELD AIRPORT                  58                    
OCONEE COUNTY REGION                  58                    
AUGUSTA BUSH FIELD                    55                    
LANCASTER COUNTY AIRPORT              55                    

...TENNESSEE...
GATLINBURG 10 S                       60                    
CHATTANOOGA 4 ESE                     45                    

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT ADVISORY ISSUED AT  500 PM EDT. PLEASE REFER TO YOUR LOCAL
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS
STORM.

FORECASTER SANTORELLI

FORECAST POSITIONS
------------------
INITIAL 12/1500Z 34.2N 87W
12HR VT 13/0000Z 35.4N 89W...REMNANT LOW
24HR VT 13/1200Z 36.2N 89.6W...REMNANT LOW
$$

Poor St. Lucie really got under a training band.

• jburns unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Take the morality conversation somewhere else. While I don't wish any one particular location harm, it would have been more interesting if Irma could have become one of only four hurricanes to landfall in the US as a Cat 5.

Secondly, a lot of us here have the knowledge to know how systems are "behaving". If you came on here looking for a regurgitation of whatever the official forecast is, you came to the wrong place.

I've already gotten my share of what extreme damage this storm could do on those islands, I didn't need to see anymore destruction. Hurricanes can be entertaining and fun to track but I'll stick with snowstorms and blizzards if I want extreme events. 

It's not fun seeing people lose their loved ones and everything they own because that could've been you. And so what if it's a morality argument, we're not robots I would hope some compassion still exists in this world. 

29 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

usa.gif

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?basemap=0014&layers=0040,0039,0017

Check  how far the precip from the storm  reaches now... almost from TX to PA

The upper-most band has been throwing cirrus clouds over the southern half of PA overnight and through this morning!

Lengthy update on the Keys. Mostly not good to 'very bad' (for example, zero functional hospitals), although they don't mention casualties. I believe an aircraft carrier is anchored down there for support, and they just sent the "Iwo Jima" as well (forgive my total military ignorance here ... although I just looked it up and Wikipedia calls it an 'Amphibious assault ship'). 

https://keysnews.com/article/story/irma-recovery-update/

7 minutes ago, thess said:

Lengthy update on the Keys. Mostly not good to 'very bad' (for example, zero functional hospitals), although they don't mention casualties. I believe an aircraft carrier is anchored down there for support, and they just sent the "Iwo Jima" as well (forgive my total military ignorance here ... although I just looked it up and Wikipedia calls it an 'Amphibious assault ship'). 

https://keysnews.com/article/story/irma-recovery-update/

Looks like Cudjoe Key is in really bad shape. 

#1 Hurricane Ivan - 70.4

#2 Hurricane Irma - 66.2

It's going to be close. Irma is running out of time and may weaken/transition baroclinic just before it can dethrone Ivan. Either way, what a record-breaking beast.

Irma finishes with 67.5 ACE. These two positions may hold for decades. It will take another long-tracking Cape Verde category 5 monster to even get close.

Archived