SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
13 minutes ago, jbenedet said:
If this goes due north, into Orlando, it's not just the euro that didn't show that - it's everything except the GFS...

Yeah, but the Euro had the SW Florida landfall while the GFS was still looking to pass east of Miami. I guess it's just another lesson, one of many, about relying on any piece of guidance. Or really, a sobering reminder that we still have a long ways to go in NWP.

Yes, and then there was the UKMET with, for a few runs, had her driven well into Cuba then run NNE back over FL and nearly coming off into the Atlantic (which very likely won't happen now).  It's about the progression of the wave break and how long it's going to take before she feels the effects.  Earlier runs were showing much more of a N to NNE sprint before curving back west before many folded to a W to NNW movement.

20 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
22 minutes ago, jbenedet said:
If this goes due north, into Orlando, it's not just the euro that didn't show that - it's everything except the GFS...

Yeah, but the Euro had the SW Florida landfall while the GFS was still looking to pass east of Miami. I guess it's just another lesson, one of many, about relying on any piece of guidance. Or really, a sobering reminder that we still have a long ways to go in NWP.

Maybe it's the Manatee effect rather than the Butterfly Effect on initial conditions :)

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 6.35.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, Amped said:

This maybe worse for East Florida and Georgia than Mathew was, especially if Irma doesn't turn back to the west soon.  There was a wobble about an hour ago but it appears to have evened out. The eastern wind-field is only going to expand as the storms energy disperses. Yeah I know it's the NAM but everything is trending this way.

namconus_mslp_wind_seus_13.png

I can assure you the wind on the eastern side of this thing is impressive.  

PBI gusting to 87 at last hour.  I'm on the barrier island NNE of there and probably getting gusts well in excess of 90. 

They seem to be lessening in last 30 minutes but this has been an impressive wind display across the east coast metro areas 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Despite its somewhat remote location it seems that palm beach to Miami arguably got the worst of it among the big population centers.

Sobering to think what might have transpired with one of those RFQ scenarios from last week.  Seeing the impacts from being in the east side today, it would have been beyond comprehension.

34 minutes ago, Ridingtime said:

Intensity forecasts were way off too. Most models showed at least a cat 3 by Tampa and a stronger storm overall. Humbling for forecasters no doubt 

There were plenty of signs that intensity would be overdone once it emerged from Cuba so structurally compromised. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There were plenty of signs that intensity would be overdone once it emerged from Cuba so structurally compromised. 

Yes, but all anyone talked about was the warm waters and the lack of shear. It did come back to a cat 4 for the keys and honestly I was a little surprised it didn't hold it together a little more for the west coast

8 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

I can assure you the wind on the eastern side of this thing is impressive.  

PBI gusting to 87 at last hour.  I'm on the barrier island NNE of there and probably getting gusts well in excess of 90. 

They seem to be lessening in last 30 minutes but this has been an impressive wind display across the east coast metro areas 

79 gust in Orlando.  Outside of landfall area on the west almost all the major winds are east 

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

Yes, but all anyone talked about was the warm waters and the lack of shear. It did come back to a cat 4 for the keys and honestly I was a little surprised it didn't hold it together a little more for the west coast

My opinion is that by the time that the core recovered from Cuba, shear and dry air from the trough were already encroaching, which mitigated the intensification....hence we saw only modest reintensification.

3 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Big SST drop from 87 to 80 with all the offshore flow as Irma tracked north of the Keys.

1 minute ago, superjames1992 said:

This early landfall is going to help us a lot in N FL.  It should weaken quite a bit before making it up this way after so much time over land.

You'll more than likely be on the western side as well which will definitely help.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived