Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, NCBK said:

East Cape...Right off Del Prado. Should have more video soon.

Thanks, we're off of Del Prado up north where it curves to the east. My house is less than a year old, so I'm sure it will do fine, but I'm admittedly nervous since I can't see what is happening.

On topic, a friend in south east Naples said the eye wall passed them at 2pm.

7 minutes ago, Earendil said:

Thanks, we're off of Del Prado up north where it curves to the east. My house is less than a year old, so I'm sure it will do fine, but I'm admittedly nervous since I can't see what is happening.

On topic, a friend in south east Naples said the eye wall passed them at 2pm.

I think he's mistaking the dry-air slot in Irma's NW side as the eye, which is a dangerously bad assumption to make. He needs to prepare for a lot worse.

This was sent to me about an hour ago, sorry for the delay. This is from Jeff Lindner with the HCFCD:

Devastating hurricane pounding S FL.

Irma made landfall over the lower FL Keys early this morning as a category 4….Irma is now the second category 4 hurricane to strike the US coastline in 16 days…pre Harvey…the US coast went over 4550 days without a major hurricane landfall.

Devastating storm surge has occurred over the FL Keys….limited data flow out of the middle Keys indicates at least 15 ft has swept over the middle Islands. It appears that all of the FL Keys have gone under water. A wind gust of 120mph was recorded at Pine Key before the instrument failed. Miami has been gusting between 80-100mph for several hours.

Significant storm surge flooding is currently breaching the west end of the Miami River in portions of Downtown Miami where intense 60-80mph winds are forcing the river over its western seawalls. Storm surge is reported nearly neck deep in some portions of Miami near the Miami River…interestingly this area was not expected to see much storm surge…so some kind of local terrain and wind induced surge is causing a local piling of the water and significant flooding.   

Massive blow down (pulling of water away from the coast) is in progress along the entire W coast of FL with tides running 5-6 feet below normal. As Irma moves NNW up the coast and winds turn onshore a large and destructive storm surge will overrun much of these areas…sea water will rise nearly 10-15 feet in a matter of 1-2 hours.

Current radar tracking of Irma’s center has it making a final landfall near Marco Island and Fort Myers this afternoon. The intense northern eyewall is only about 40 miles SSE of Naples, FL.

A life threatening storm surge of 10-15 feet above the ground is likely along the SW FL coast from Everglades City northward to Fort Myers and Port Charlotte and 5-10 ft above the ground north of Fort Myers to the mouth of Tampa Bay.

8 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Seems like about a quarter of the eye wall is on shore so they may call it north of Marco but south of Naples.  It is making a mess as it comes in.

Tough to say exactly where given the shape of the coast and it having to be the center for official landfall.

Just now, bluewave said:
130 mph wind gust just recorded at Marco Island Emergency Operations Center. 

I think that's the highest wind recorded with Irma in the US?  But not the highest anywhere- what was the highest reported wind with Irma anywhere in the islands?  I remember close to 160 in Cuba.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived