Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's the thing. Those extreme 60DBZ+ values will mix down all she has. Good luck to those in that path.  Despite the half moon structure on radar, that feature remains impressive to me.

The high ZDR at >5 kft indicates a pretty strong updraft capable of lofting big rain drops. If you look at the higher tilts, that enhanced ZDR is still present just above the melting layer so in some ways it is similar to a ZDR column in a severe thunderstorm. KDP is also enhanced there as well.

1 minute ago, heavy_wx said:

The high ZDR at >5 kft indicates a pretty strong updraft capable of lofting big rain drops. If you look at the higher tilts, that enhanced ZDR is still present just above the melting layer so in some ways it is similar to a ZDR column in a severe thunderstorm. KDP is also enhanced there as well.

There does look to be some sort of mesoscale convergence in that spot since pre dawn. 

3 minutes ago, heavy_wx said:

Valuable input, thank you.

For those downplaying Irma, some beachfront community(ies) are getting or are soon to get major inundation.

1 minute ago, Amped said:

Dumbasses, did they ever see the Indain ocean Tsunami vids?    Guess what's coming next. 

"I want to go play in the empty bay, it looks  soooooo fun yayyyy." doesn't end well.

i'd be out there and so would many of us.  it's going to be a while still before the reversal and i doubt it will come in with a complete 180 reversal that nobody can outrun.

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Dumbasses, did they ever see the Indain ocean Tsunami vids?    Guess what's coming next. 

"I want to go play in the empty bay, it looks  soooooo fun yayyyy." doesn't end well.

Still, probably safe in the Bay for a couple of hours.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived