Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

East would be better but based on the 0z euro, and current radar trends, I believe it will pass west of Tampa.

There's still definitely some west component to the movement, and models have that continuing. Hopefully it can turn a little more northerly and jog east of Tampa, but I'm not optimistic either. 

3 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

A bit perplexed right now. Pretty impressive increase of lightning there. Are we going to see a small additional period of intensification? Not ideal timing considering it's a few hours from Naples.

We'd have to get recon into the eyewall to see what the situation is. Pretty obvious that dry air has eaten up the southern portion, but this northern section looks really intense. 

25 minutes ago, Wild Weather Monger said:

Perplexed.  The southern eyewall has been open for some time now per radar.  I'd never had thought the radar presentation would be such by looking at various satellite products.  Even water vapor which clearly shows the dry air the storm is ingesting doesn't show radar and recon reality.  

Its reacting to the ULL what is happening is its feeding off the jet stream and the atlantic all the way into southern south carolina. Do a continental water vaper radar and you'll see it. It's currently strengthening, but rather than the strength being in a complete circle it's all on the northern eye wall. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

There's still definitely some west component to the movement, and models have that continuing. Hopefully it can turn a little more northerly and jog east of Tampa, but I'm not optimistic either. 

Yea. While I agree it currently looks slightly east of the Euro's position, it's not far enough to take this east of Tampa, if that error is extrapolated.

On top of this, the Euro has been best with short term track guidance...so there's that as well..

I'm also thinking the phasing of that shortwave to the northwest is going to continue to provide a west component to her movement...

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea. While I agree it currently looks slightly east of the Euro's position, it's not far enough to take this east of Tampa, if that error is extrapolated.

On top of this, the Euro has been best with short term track guidance...so there's that as well..

I'm also thinking the phasing of that shortwave to the northwest is going to continue to provide a west component to her movement...

Once it makes landfall at Marco Island the question completely is does it have a nnw component enough to come over tampa or to the west of tampa. Regardless it's going to be on or near not to the east.

Marco Island is going to go through the north side of the eyewall.  Looking on Google Earth there are a row of 20 story condos along the west and south side of the island.  This will be a good test for windows/hurricane shutters on high rises.  I can't think of a strong eyewall coming ashore ever in the US right against a row of high rises.  This was one of my main concerns a few days ago for Miami Dade.  Now we will see how Marco Island holds up.

20 minutes ago, mappy said:

Talk about live media and chasers streams need to go here 

I feel like you said this before.  lol

I think there should be some clarification.  A post like "______'s stream in Naples has shown a big deterioration in conditions in the last few minutes" is one thing, but ongoing discussion/play by play of feeds clogs the thread.  Like the Jeff P shed thing in Harvey... riveting, but people posting every single detail as it was happening was excessive.

This may be old news, but it looks like Key West Airport stopped reporting at 1238z, about 1 1/2 hours after they had 82 kt gusts

KEYW 101238Z AUTO 1/4SM +RA VV006 A2814 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT NE PRESRR P0062 $
KEYW 101228Z AUTO 1/4SM +RA VV005 A2811 RMK AO2 P0055 $
KEYW 101205Z AUTO 1/4SM +RA VV007 A2812 RMK AO2 PRESFR P0017 $
KEYW 101153Z AUTO 1/2SM +RA VV008 A2816 RMK AO2 PK WND 03082/1113 PRESFR SLP537 P0045 60159 70497 58207 $
KEYW 101143Z AUTO 1/4SM RA BKN009 OVC015 A2820 RMK AO2 PK WND 03082/1113 P0032 $
KEYW 101130Z AUTO 1/2SM -RA BKN012 OVC018 A2822 RMK AO2 PK WND 03082/1113 PRESFR P0016 $
KEYW 101127Z AUTO 01044G69KT 1SM -RA SCT010 OVC015 A2824 RMK AO2 PK WND 03082/1113 PRESFR P0015 $
KEYW 101115Z AUTO 02052G82KT 1 1/4SM RA BKN012 OVC017 A2833 RMK AO2 PK WND 03082/1113 PRESFR P0014

And expand her...

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I can't believe how big this storm is. I honestly didn't think Miami would get hit this hard. 

The northeast side is the hardest hit in any hurricane, and it's a large circulation. Hopefully the surge flooding in Biscayne Bay isn't too bad, but from what I'm seeing it's getting pretty high. And another west nudge will put Naples/Ft Myers in the east eyewall too. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived