Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

As bad as this is gong to be, it can always be worse and the US dodged a bullet relatively speaking.

Not easy for these things to spin back up once the structure is disturbed at a great intensity.

I think this one humbled everyone at one time or another,  forecasting wise.

No doubt. It was fascinating to track. Just hoping the surge isn't too bad for folks as the storm moves north. The pictures of those islands where beautiful rain forests and homes were just completely taken out is really sad.

Didn't have time to read the whole discussion, but there were some posts overnight of 'what's happening to the eye'. At one point I woke-up and saw a satellite loop, and to me it looked like a case of some dry air ingestion disrupted the core. And that also explains the sorta 'half hurricane' look on radar. Seen it many times with land-falling hurricanes on the Gulf Coast (look at Rita and others). Irma is in an odd state because she has competing negative (dry air, increasing shear) and positive (jet fuel) factors at the moment. Never underestimate the damage dry air can do to a storm. Strong storms can shake off some of it for awhile, but when it's persistent and wraps into the storm, it starts to win-out over time.

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

Take the "not so bad" discussions to another thread guys. It just causes arguments as one person views it differently than others. 

People need to realize that water can do allot more damage then wind... In the coastal  areas it will take hours for the surge to pass through. This will most likely be the big story in the hours to come as it heads up the coast...

5 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Yea. Maybe. 

That said, beyond key west, I think we're looking at a broad area of severe coastal flooding, and an incredible amount of downed trees and power outages....

The scope of the moderate-extensive wind damage and extreme surge will be something to behold.

Enough! I've asked numerous times to take the talk to another thread 

Apologies, I should have refrained from answering.

That being said, my friend just pointed this out to me. https://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/074.html?utm_source=HomeCard&utm_content=Alert&cm_ven=HomeCardAlert&hdf=1

Miami reporting significant coastal flooding.

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:
I'm surprised an extreme wind warning hasn't been issued yet 

For the record.. I've never seen that before. Is that a new product or just seldom used?

Apparently reserved for specific cases (tropical) and is one of the new designations - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/easfaq/

The Extreme Wind Warning will only be issued in association with hurricanes affecting the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the continental United States, or Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The issuance of Extreme Wind Warnings beyond these areas is not anticipated for the foreseeable future. A map of the areas where an Extreme Wind Warning can be issued is provided below.
Map of offices that may issue an Extreme Wind Warning

While the EAS codes for the Storm Surge Watch and Warning and Extreme Wind Warning have been approved for use by the Federal Communications Commission, each coastal state or territory will update its own respective EAS plan; the operational implementation of the EAS codes will occur only after necessary coordination between State Emergency Communications Committees and State Broadcaster Associations. It's possible some states or territories might not implement the new codes in time for the 2017 hurricane season. 

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:
I'm surprised an extreme wind warning hasn't been issued yet 

For the record.. I've never seen that before. Is that a new product or just seldom used?

It is issued for landfalling major hurricanes now where the eyewall comes on shore. And yes it is relatively new

The Extreme wind Warning has actually been operational for a few years, We just (fortunately) had not had any landfalling major hurricanes in the U.S. to warrant its use. One was issued for Matthew last year near Cape Canaveral (though Matthew stayed offshore so the winds never really materialized).

Apparently reserved for specific cases (tropical) and is one of the new designations - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/easfaq/

The Extreme Wind Warning will only be issued in association with hurricanes affecting the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the continental United States, or Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The issuance of Extreme Wind Warnings beyond these areas is not anticipated for the foreseeable future. A map of the areas where an Extreme Wind Warning can be issued is provided below.Map of offices that may issue an Extreme Wind WarningWhile the EAS codes for the Storm Surge Watch and Warning and Extreme Wind Warning have been approved for use by the Federal Communications Commission, each coastal state or territory will update its own respective EAS plan; the operational implementation of the EAS codes will occur only after necessary coordination between State Emergency Communications Committees and State Broadcaster Associations. It's possible some states or territories might not implement the new codes in time for the 2017 hurricane season. 

So it appears to be newer and specific. Thank you for this.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived