Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

Just now, JC-CT said:
2 minutes ago, Cary said:
What do you think you're missing? Track is pretty bad, not sure if worst case scenario.

Somebody posted something about Tampa dodging a bullet because it was going to track east of them, is now deleted though. I just woke up and looked at the Euro and current satellite and was confused.

Gotcha. It's bad as modeled, and I'm worried about my aunt and uncle near Clearwater, but that's for another thread.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Storm Mode is still in effect. There are other threads for Observations, Evaucations, Live Feeds and most importantly banter.

Please please please post in the appropriate thread. If you see your posts disappearing, think before posting. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Take it to banter if you wanna argue over observations and what's hurricane forced vs tropical storm 

^^^^^^^

THIS   :angry:   I'm not deleting any more posts, I'm now removing people from posting for the next several days. This is the ONLY warning you all will get. Make wise choices

Just now, buckeyefan1 said:

^^^^^^^

THIS   :angry:   I'm not deleting any more posts, I'm now removing people from posting for the next several days. This is the ONLY warning you all will get. Make wise choices

hi love! I don't have that power, just hiding posts as I come across them. :) 

3 minutes ago, winterymix said:

9am update from NHC...130 mph  sustained 

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE  928 MB
EYE DIAMETER  20 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 115 KT WITH GUSTS TO 140 KT.
64 KT....... 70NE  50SE  30SW  50NW.
50 KT.......110NE 110SE  70SW 100NW.
34 KT.......190NE 170SE 140SW 190NW.
12 FT SEAS..420NE 150SE 120SW 180NW.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT.  RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 24.1N  81.5W AT 10/0900Z
AT 10/0600Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 23.7N  81.3W

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT1+shtml/100858.shtml?

4 minutes ago, Wild Weather Monger said:

Eye looking improved on radar.  Looks to be closing off the EW to the south.  I thought at first that I was simply seeing the southern EW better from KW radar now that there is less attenuation from that site, but Miami radar confirms.  

yeah, first time since it's left cuba strong convection as gone 3/4 of the way around the eye instead of half. 

Just now, mappy said:

hi love! I don't have that power, just hiding posts as I come across them. :) 

Once you all hide them...I will send them on vacation ;)   Team work makes the dream work :weight_lift:

I just want to take a moment to thank you guys dressed in black :wub:   You all are my hero's and words can't tell you how much you all are appreciated. Seriously, genuinely, honestly appreciated. Thank you :wub: 

Now.....back to your regular scheduled program of making wise choices :D 

Winds gusty all up the E FL coast, St. Augustine Gusted to 44 last hour, Naples sustained TS Force now. Should start ramping up there when the next heavy band moves in. Following current heading, Irma would landfall at Marco and follow the coast for a bit, of course still plenty of time for wobbles.

Just now, (So)Alexandria said:

That northern eyewall is looking fierce.  

So are we not getting any more recon at all?  I know they stop once landfall happens but here "landfall" over the key will be followed by an 80 mile trek over open water.   

They said they are heading back to New Orleans.

12 minutes ago, Cary said:

What do you think you're missing? Track is pretty bad, not sure if worst case scenario.

It's nowhere near worst case for Tampa (I really do wish folks would stop with the hyperbole, it's bad enough as is) but up to 9 feet is no joke and would be very impactful.  Comes down to the track at this point.  Not sure winds up or down 10 mph would be material at this point in terms of surge outcome.  As others have said, storms like Katrina and Sandy managed to push an enormous amount of water and destruction even at lower cat designations upon landfall.

I'd prefer to see the GFS track, but it's rarely a good idea to bet against the Euro.  I'm more worried about Ft Myers and south right now, and especially Marco Island.  Lots of great people and tons of memories from that place.

Just now, TPAwx said:

It's nowhere near worst case for Tampa (I really do wish folks would stop with the hyperbole, it's bad enough as is) but up to 9 feet is no joke and would be very impactful.  Comes down to the track at this point.  Not sure winds up or down 10 mph would be material at this point in terms of surge outcome.  As others have said, storms like Katrina and Sandy managed to push an enormous amount of water and destruction even at lower cat designations upon landfall.

I'd prefer to see the GFS track, but it's rarely a good idea to bet against the Euro.  I'm more worried about Ft Myers and south right now, and especially Marco Island.  Lots of great people and tons of memories from that place.

Ft Myers area is really gonna get it. Have a lot of great memories there too, really worried for Ike like surge. Knowing Ft Myers beach and the way it's built, they're probably going to have a lot of devastation. Naples too, downtown is expected to have 9+ ft of surge via NHC's surge map. Never been there, but could see from Ft Myers coastline, looked like a nice area. 

2 minutes ago, (So)Alexandria said:

That northern eyewall is looking fierce.  

So are we not getting any more recon at all?  I know they stop once landfall happens but here "landfall" over the key will be followed by an 80 mile trek over open water.   

No more NOAA recon, but USAF is still going to work it. NOAA had to evac to New Orlenes per a tweet from them.

The SE eyewall has definitely improved its radar presentation. Another thing I noticed is the banding around the eyewall is improving.  This new band (arrow), just popped up and doesn't look fun for Layton. I think some slight intensification will come in the next couple hours.  If the eyewall cannot close off, then  anything more than an additional 5-10mph is off the table.

IMG_0448.JPG

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived