Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, F-5 said:

It has been stated several times in this thread already that radar is not the correct source to determine eyewall structure.  Heavy rain will attenuate the radar.  Looks intact on sat.

Not true....

Cuban radar shows a breach in the southern part of the EW..

http://www.met.inf.cu/asp/genesis.asp?TB0=PLANTILLAS&TB1=RADAR&TB2=../Radar/01Casablanca/csbMAXw01a.gif

while the keys are definitely getting pummeled with wind and surge, it doesn't look anything like the extreme videos that came out of barbuda and sint maarten earlier in the week.  also, the left side of irma doesn't look as healthy as the right side.  my hunch is that the big deal for florida will end up being surge and localized tornados more so than andrew-like sustained wind.

Just now, 87storms said:

while the keys are definitely getting pummeled with wind and surge, it doesn't look anything like the extreme videos that came out of barbuda and sint maarten earlier in the week.  the left side of irma doesn't look as healthy as the right side.

I haven't seen any video from those keys getting hit. I bet those keys got smoked pretty good. But it's also not 185mph sustained.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I haven't seen any video from those keys getting hit. I bet those keys got smoked pretty good. But it's also not 185mph sustained.

yea i'm not trying to downplay the impact on the keys (that's irresponsible), but mostly "up"playing just how bad sint maarten got hit.  that was a catastrophic hurricane.  i'm not quite sure i would classify irma as that right now based off of what i'm seeing.

Just now, 87storms said:

yea i'm not trying to downplay the impact on the keys (that's irresponsible), but mostly "up"playing just how bad sint maarten got hit.  that was a catastrophic hurricane.  i'm not quite sure i would classify irma as that right now based off of what i'm seeing.

What happened on those islands is on a whole other level.

Just now, 87storms said:

Irma is a different beast right now; you aren't comparing apples to apples. The wind hurricane/ts wind field is enormous right now, and the extremely broad hurricane/TS impacts --to my mind--will surpass Sandy...

Irma is like Sandy's more-tropical cousin...

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived