Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Crazy as it sounds the best case at this point may be this coming in right by Naples or Marco island.  If it misses that jut out and continues further up it's going to parallel the coast forever.  We'll see soon if it begins to go more NNW or not 

This is what I'm counting on to avoid being homeless for awhile.  There are so many beautiful beaches and spots from Pinellas County down to the Keys, but Marco is a special place for a lot of people.  Hard to argue against the Euro's insistance on a coastal hugger, but the 6z GFS does as you describe and cuts it inland at about that point.

29 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Mike Seidel from TWC was live just taking a beating in Miami.

I'm in Miami Beach and it's not bad at all (even some convenience stores opened up again).

I mentioned yesterday CNN had camped out on my street, they only turn on the cameras when there are bursts of wind.  Reality is, the city is empty out of expectation of a Category 5 and we're getting 45-60 mph winds for 15 minutes out of an hour.  The weather alerts call for Miami Beach/Miami to have "possible" burts to 80 mph winds, but 45-60 is the norm.  40 mph winds are a common summer occurrence here.

The city would be functioning at a pretty decent level if the evacuation orders/work cancellations weren't issued for a Category 5, which the government can't/won't revoke for Miami.  Tropical Storms are taken seriously, but the city doesn't shut down like this.

3.58" storm total precip.Had 2.24" on Saturday, and checked the gage this morning---1.34" since midnight. We still have power here in Ave Maria. Anticipated to be west of the eye since Tuesday--- but looks like we end up east of the eye! Glad I retired. Can't get things right in the medium range forecast anymore.

PS---our entire community is advertised as certified post-Andrew code cat5 construction, so we slept like logs. Barely knew it was blowing outside. We'll soon find out during the next 12 hours---how solid it is firsthand. Nice to get emails/texts from old work colleagues. Our current conditions are similar to Miami (where the weather channel is). Sorry, we don't have a webcam or live feed for those to watch! And the only time I'm standing sideways is when our Husky needs a break outside. ,) Cheers from Panther Run 

2 minutes ago, BoricuaMD said:

I'm in Miami Beach and it's not bad at all (even some convenience stores opened up again).

I mentioned yesterday CNN had camped out on my street, they only turn on the cameras when there are bursts of wind.  Reality is, the city is empty out of expectation of a Category 5 and we're getting inconsistent Category 1 winds for 15 minutes out of an hour currently.

Yes.."expectations"

Say what you will, but that is impressive based on how far away Miami currently is from the CoC. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Yes.."expectations"

Say what you will, but that is impressive based on how far away Miami currently is from the CoC. 

I have said this before. Emergency Managers and Meteorologist no longer warn about the weather as a primary job. Their primary job since Katrina has been to manage unrealistic public expectations.  

15 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Seems like the eye is closing up this morning. Might see it go down to cat 3 now. I'm honestly shocked this thing didn't take off overnight. Cuba really did Irma in. Also think wind shear is being felt now on western side of storm 

Eye seems to be starting to clear out on the GOES-16 sat.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived