Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

They could get a sneaky disaster

What's up Ray,  

i agree, this thing kept its circulation Very   intact after being over Cuba for as long as it did....she's always been Strong...and is ramping up yet again!!!  She's been a beast since inception...nothing stopping her now!!  Hang on Western Florida!!!  

1 minute ago, CoreyandFrosty said:

But do you think winds could gusting to hurricane force in Atlanta if this map verified? 

The NAM and RGEM likely are more on track for Atlanta showing 45-48kt peak winds.  The GFS at 76kts and the Euro at 80-85 seem lost unless there is some odd mesoscale feature in there I'm missing

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

What's up Ray,  

i agree, this thing kept its circulation Very   intact after being over Cuba for as long as it did....she's always been Strong...and is ramping up yet again!!!  She's been a beast since inception...nothing stopping her now!!  Hang on Western Florida!!!  

Miami gusted to 68mph.

I'm growing very concerned of the panhandle...

Chuck called this.

7 minutes ago, CoreyandFrosty said:

I know the track keeps shifting west. But, doesnt this show 100 mph winds in the Atlanta Ga area?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...56318271953436672/ecmwf_mslp_uv850_seus_3.png

Those winds are at 850mb, or around 5k' in elevation.  That said, some of those winds will mix to the surface in squalls though.  60-70 mph gust are possible.

5 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Wouldn't surge be more problematic there after the eye gets north of the area when the winds are out of the west to southwest?

Any northerly track of the CoC just west of Tampa will bring major surge problems into the bay... might be worse if it had a NE trajectory but this is among the worst Euro runs for Tampa yet.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NAM and RGEM likely are more on track for Atlanta showing 45-48kt peak winds.  The GFS at 76kts and the Euro at 80-85 seem lost unless there is some odd mesoscale feature in there I'm missing

There is little question they are in part so bullish due to cad/compression of the wind field due to the mountains. As someone who considers myself pretty well experienced on it...I'm very concerned there will be hurricane force gusts area wide over ga/atlanta with widespread power outages. Im a bit skeptical on the 90 to near 100 mph gusts of the euro but 75 to 80 isnt too crazy to me. This however is uncharted territory as no one has seen anything like this in their lifetime...with virtually nothing to compare it to even before that. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

There is little question they are in part so bullish due to cad/compression of the wind field due to the mountains. As someone who considers myself pretty well experienced on it...I'm very concerned there will be hurricane force gusts area wide over ga/atlanta with widespread power outages. Im a bit skeptical on the 90 to near 100 mph gusts of the euro but 75 to 80 isnt too crazy to me. This however is uncharted territory as no one has seen anything like this in their lifetime...with virtually nothing to compare it to even before that. 

Have the latest Euro gust product for our area by any chance?  

10 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Irma is creeping along, almost looks stalled out the last few frames, though obviously not. 

I put my cursor over the eye on the radar loop(link posted earlier) and the eye ended up in the exact same place an hour and half later. It just seems to be going in a very tiny circular wobble. I suppose it is just waiting to find the right current again.

9 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

This is getting worse and worse, is their a change this could reach Cat 5 again briefly?

She's making a run for it. I haven't commented since this morning because of how wrong I was about what Cuba was doing to it. However, she's gotten her act together to the point 150-160 is within the realm of possibility. Rita went from a a TS a little east of where Irma is currently located to over 155 mph 200 miles west in roughly 13 hours dropping over 20 mb. At about the 18 hour mark Rita went well over 170. Irma could easily obtain this it's all a matter of how fast she moves, and how she handles the sheer north as others have mentioned Matthews resiliency. Another issue that could hamper re obtaining cat 5 would be an ERC. There's no way to know how deep she goes, but she's gonna shoot for the moon. After looking back at the land interaction with Cuba I've been trying to find another example of a Hurricane with this tenacity and I'm having a hard time finding an example. If anyone can find a similar issue where a hurricane dug into the coast for 16 hours and survived nearly intact minus wind speeds please let me know. I want to learn more.

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
4 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:
This is getting worse and worse, is their a chance this could reach Cat 5 again briefly?

Yes.

Yea.....now that the grieving period following Irma handing me my azz has passed, I think its possible.

This thing is in the zone-

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived