Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

12 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah even if it passes off shore the surge with this storm will be major news. A lot of counting chickens before they hatch in here over the last hour. You get 10 to 15 foot surge from Key West to Clearwater you are looking at a historic storm.

10-15 feet is no doubt major news and historic, and would be very damaging. Also first major to hit Tampa since 1921.  And it could really do a number on Key West and places like Marco. 

But there are a lot of factually inaccurate worst case scenario and complete devastation claims being thrown around by the non met or SME posters without any reasoning.  It's just getting a bit repetitive and tiresome, especially for people with more skin in the game.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

People seem to be forgetting that Irma also raked a good chunk of the Cuban coast at Cat 5 intensity. Is that not memorable?

Yes, it has definitely left an indelible and epic impact throughout the Carribean...no question.

I'd wager to say that it has had the largest impact of all-time there.

Storm isn't going anywhere....its still a healthy, stable system that will have quite an impact.

One thing I've learned is that timing ERC is an effort in frustration. However, what I can say is that over the last hour the higher elevation scans that were once clearly and unambiguously depicting two near perfect concentric rings is now showing a dramatic change. The lowest elevation scan is still a little ambiguous though. So maybe the IEW really is finally taking it's last gasp. We'll see. At any rate. I'm a little suspicious of rapid intensification at this point. 0Z SHIPS odds was less than 10%. While I do think the odds are higher than that I don't think they're higher than a coin flip. I do think we'll continue to see gradual deepening though for the next 6+ hours at least.

2 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

One thing I've learned is that timing ERC is an effort in frustration. However, what I can say is that over the last hour the higher elevation scans that were once clearly and unambiguously depicting two near perfect concentric rings is now showing a dramatic change. The lowest elevation scan is still a little ambiguous though. So maybe the IEW really is finally taking it's last gasp. We'll see. At any rate. I'm a little suspicious of rapid intensification at this point. 0Z SHIPS odds was less than 10%. While I do think the odds are higher than that I don't think they're higher than a coin flip. I do think we'll continue to see gradual deepening though for the next 6+ hours at least.

Scary situation.  We're already at 932mb and now that the IEW is about finished the OEW will be free to take over and begin intensifying.  As it is this storm would already be bad enough, but I fear we should see some additional intensification through the night given favorable conditions.  The inner core of the hurricane hasn't been over open water too terribly long.  The OEW was scraping the north Cuban coast for quite awhile.

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Scary situation.  We're already at 932mb and now that the IEW is about finished the OEW will be free to take over and begin intensifying.  As it is this storm would already be bad enough, but I fear we should see some additional intensification through the night given favorable conditions.  The inner core of the hurricane hasn't been over open water too terribly long.  The OEW was scraping the north Cuban coast for quite awhile.

I think it'll get into the 920's. 910's...not so much, but it is possible if it starts bombing out. The outflow on the west side over the last 3 hours seems to be on the decrease with signs of shearing to the north west. I'm wondering if the shear is going to arrive sooner rather than later. If it's going to bomb out it probably needs to get going in the next 6 hours IMHO. The outflow channel to the north is ripping and Irma is now in the favorable right entrance region of the jet streak. So while I don't think RI is likely...it's definitely possible.

Irma really looks to be getting its act together:

IMG_0023.JPG.f594821785d2202d5fd536a74420c26a.JPG

She's is beginning to look the best she has looked since the Caribbean. The outflow is good in all quadrants. Very cold cloud tops are surrounding the eye. The eye is clear. The eye has a stadium effect to it. She has a moisture fetch from well below Cuba. She looks darn healthy

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived