Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How would the surge projection for Tampa change with the center going just west instead of over/east?  I saw that simulation that had 25+ feet of water with a cat 5 moving NNE, but this isn't quite that scenario. 

The real surge wouldn't be until the eye is past and the wind turns westerly, but it would probably be 10ft or more when that happens. It goes right into the bay which focuses the surge and the land around Tampa is very flat. The eye might go over St. Pete which would be devastating. 

The absolute worst Tampa case is a NE moving storm going north of the bay, which would drive the surge NE into the bay, but this scenario with Irma is bad too. 

Just want to say that ERC's are a bit of uncharted territory in tropical system meteorology, even the best mets don't know exactly when it'll begin or wrap up (just remember the previous ERC and the really long discussion that ensued) 

I see a lot of people speculating about it and I think that it doesn't contribute to the discussion and confuses people that are trying to learn (like me), or just trying to get correct info

4 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

Just want to say that ERC's are a bit of uncharted territory in tropical system meteorology, even the best mets don't know exactly when it'll begin or wrap up (just remember the previous ERC and the really long discussion that ensued) 

I see a lot of people speculating about it and I think that it doesn't contribute to the discussion and confuses people that are trying to learn (like me), or just trying to get correct info

Nice thing is that we might learn more about ERCs from Irma than any previous storm, just because of how well it has been covered by modern radar through the process.

16 minutes ago, danstorm said:

The next 18-24 hours will also largely define our memories of this storm - she's sure been an amazing storm to track!

If it didn't hit the US, it'd certainly be retired for its effects on the Leeward Islands though. Those were definitely historic as well.

4 minutes ago, Rickg2 said:

quick question: didn't Charley strengthen rapidly as it came up the coast? I seem to remember  it going from a cat 2 to a cat for in one 6 hour period.

Yes and it was blowing up going onshore man any more time over water Charlie could had been a 5 went from a Cat 1 to 4 in no time.  

3 minutes ago, Rickg2 said:

quick question: didn't Charley strengthen rapidly as it came up the coast? I seem to remember  it going from a cat 2 to a cat for in one 6 hour period.

It did. It went from 95 mph to 125 mph in 6 hrs. Made it up to 130 mph at landfall. Also dropped almost 30 mb in that time period

It'll strengthen back to a strong Cat 4 before reaching the Keys, I'm pretty confident of that. It doesn't have far to go wind wise to get there, there's bath water in that area, and the sat/radar presentation is impressive enough. It'll also get easier as it pulls away from Cuba. 

Cat 5 is a stretch, but it will have a good amount of time over warm water. 

49 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Up by Tampa, shear will become a hindrance on Irma and weaken it, which is reflected in the NHC projection, but beforehand it won't do too much. Strong hurricanes can also fight it off for a while. By the time it gets to near Tampa it will be way too late to weaken it meaningfully enough. Look how much Katrina weakened before landfall and how catastrophic it still was. 

Full landfall with a weakening storm, though, would definitely be less damaging than if it's strengthening. Worst case scenario with Irma would have almost certainly been a direct hit on the Miami metro with a strengthening Cat 4 or Cat 5. Thankfully, everything now points to that being avoided.

3 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Well they've rebuilt after major canes before, but this was a devastating blow. They'll recover, eventually, like Grenada did after Ivan.

Have 2 friends that live on St. Martin, still haven't heard anything from them. From what I hear that island will take a decade to be rebuilt. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived