Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Initialized too high though.  Again, relative pressure trends (drop/no drop and by how much?) are more important.

It should also looks like euro is also too far south right off the bat...it has the eye completely on shore right now vs where it actually is.  I guess 20 or 30 mile difference but that's a big 20 or 30 mile difference down the line if it held up. 

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

943mb over the mouth of Tampa bay at 1am monday

Absolute worst case scenario. Tampa gets hit with the NE side first, thus the highest surge, before the winds.

Just a month and a half ago, the Washington Post did an article on how ill-prepared Tampa was for a high-end storm ("worse than Katrina" in destruction). Another catastrophe in the making.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/?utm_term=.a73d7214b623

7 minutes ago, Lookout said:

It should also looks like euro is also too far south right off the bat...it has the eye completely on shore right now vs where it actually is.  I guess 20 or 30 mile difference but that's a big 20 or 30 mile difference down the line if it held up. 

I noticed the same. The big takeaway, for me, was that it showed a strengthening storm after moving back over water right up until landfall.

2 minutes ago, Upper Level LOL said:

Absolute worst case scenario. Tampa gets hit with the NE side first, thus the highest surge, before the winds.

Just a month and a half ago, the Washington Post did an article on how ill-prepared Tampa was for a high-end storm ("worse than Katrina" in destruction). Another catastrophe in the making.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/?utm_term=.a73d7214b623

I don't think it's quite the worst case.  How would surge get to them initially on E/NE winds?

pretty incredible event unfolding from key west to tampa.  did not expect that a couple days ago.  that scenario just didn't seem like the most logical one which shows just how much mother nature is in control of things.  

the eyewall looks completely healthy.  i see no reason why this won't be a cat 4/5 at landfall unless there's some shear/dry air intrusion that isn't really being modeled.  it's generally open water from here on out, not to mention daylight hours (not sure how much that truly impacts the structure, but i would imagine it doesn't hurt things).

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived