Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

8 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Just a caveat to remember prior comments not to take GFS pressures quite literally.  Focus on the rapidly deepening trend.  Even with that caution this is concerning.

Exactly. Nobody should be running with a sub 900 pressure but there is a clear trend for intensification. And IR imagery very clearly shows that the inner core has been relatively undisrupted which means once the broader circulation is offshore and fluxes are back to being more directly ocean-based...there's not much for at least a steady deepening up to the keys if not farther.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Raine1212 said:

I asked this question in the other thread, could someone please answer, trying to prepare

Could someone tell me if this is possible and tell me how much raine please, i am in the red area 

IMG_0492.PNG

To figure out how much rain is likely at your place, go here: https://weather.us/forecast/ensemble and type in your town. Then you'll be able to compare all the ECMWF ensemble guidance for rainfall, wind gusts, and other parameters. You'll be able to see the mean, max, min, and 10th/90th percentile forecasts for each parameter to show you the range of possible outcomes. It looks like you could get quite a bit of rain!

17 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Just a caveat to remember prior comments not to take GFS pressures quite literally.  Focus on the rapidly deepening trend.  Even with that caution this is concerning.

This.  The guidance showing rapid deepening is seeing something.  Nobody knows for sure how deep or just how much the winds will respond, but there is a solid window of time over the bath water.  

2 hours ago, Lookout said:

a little different though...Ike had a lot more interaction with cuba...it went across/interacted with.. the entire length  of cuba...

Ike_2008_track.png

FWIW, right now irma is a bit north of the 0z euro last night...and if it continues on this path it would be significantly north...not in miles per se but just the fact the euro had irma actually fully inland over the next few hours. The reason i find this is interesting is that irma might/should be in a little better shape than the euro showed it to be when it moves away from cuba which is important i think considering how much the euro restrengthens it...929 mbs at landfall. 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090900_15_1457_149.png

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090900_18_1457_149.png

GFS was way faster with the 12z track. This may have been one of the reasons.

3 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I could swear the last few frames of the Key West reflectivity loop it's hooking back to the left (toward Cuba), but that might just be a mirage caused by the rotation.

There will be wobbles but the general turn is starting.

If you look at the last several frames of the AVN satellite loop, The CDO is literally exploding in size as well, it contracted quite a bit over the last 12 hours, but seems to be rapidly expanding in size as well as intensity.  That didn't take long.

The cloud Tops are really cooling as well. Her core is in very good shape. There is no sheer to speak of. The outflow is good in all quadrants. Of course water Temps. She is primed for RI.

14 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Yes, and SPC now has a tornado watch out for all of south Florida and the Keys until Midnight.

Yeah, the tornado threat is really going to ramp up tonight. Low to mid level wind profiles will become increasing favorable tonight and a nocturnal tornado threat will be a major concern. An outbreak of relatively short-lived tornadoes seems like a realistic possibility tomorrow over central/South Florida given the degree of low level shear and favorable positioning on the right side of the storm's track. 

12z 3km NAM:

IMG_4553.thumb.JPG.7730c45e3ee1611f789f3bd30691e7f9.JPG

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
11 minutes ago, audioguy3107 said:
If you look at the last several frames of the AVN satellite loop, The CDO is literally exploding in size as well, it contracted quite a bit over the last 12 hours, but seems to be rapidly expanding in size as well as intensity.  That didn't take long.

The cloud Tops are really cooling as well. Her core is in very good shape. There is no sheer to speak of. The outflow is good in all quadrants. Of course water Temps. She is primed for RI.

NorthTurn.gif

6 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

In addition to being at least 20 miles north of where 0z Euro progged for 2pm, current location of Irma is on the northernmost end of 0z EPS members.

Happened with Mathew last year around the time it hit this latitude. I don't know if this will shift the landfall point but it's certainly hitting florida a few hours sooner than expected.

1 hour ago, mudaddict said:

That's 850 guys :) 

But that's only 46mb above the (likely over-zealously modeled) 896 core. Basically accurate for the top floors of taller skyscrapers near the core. Tampa has many. The NHC will commonly note to prepare for one SS category higher in hi-rise buildings. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived