• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

Ok mets with actual hurricane forecast experience... this is outside of my wheelhouse so I need experts to chime in if possible:

Given what we know about the forecast track and models so far, and the downgrade to Cat3 by NHC just now, can anyone number crunch the data as to the history of Irma / other TC's in Irma's similar location / conditions, and if so:

1. The data that would support intensification;

2. Realistic wind speed projections;

3. Have we witnessed any prior TC's recover / intensify significantly with under 115 miles to go before a US landstrike?

(appreciate the feedback... again, there are just factors with TC's that I simply won't even pretend to guess here... I know what I don't know if that makes sense lol)

IMG_7950.PNG

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Thanks. I've been watching KBYX's radar on GR3 this morning. Core is definitely very healthy on radar and it's been moving WNW for past several hours ( the turn appears to have begun IMO). The GFS is verifying better at the moment on the COC than the EURO and it looks to free of cuba early this afternoon.. The IR tops have obviously warmed due to the land interaction. The eye never made it fully on shore. I think that long penninsula/island chain just NE of the Cuba mainland has had more of an impact than anticipated. That and of course the SW side being disrupted by mountainous terrain. All things considered, the pressure rise was well modeled and we should no doubt see re-intensification tonight. Given the shear being relatively minor until it reaches central Florida and the TCHP of the Florida straits, it has potential to bomb out again, no doubt. Whether it does all depends on ERC's/inner dynamics of the Hurricane. I will say this, in 24 hours some of the posts this morning will be looked at as some of the dumbest in weather board history. That I have no doubts about and will be tempted to bump troll.

Well said. I'd be tempted to help you do it too but there'd be too many to bump. This idea the hurricane's inner core will be completely disrupted simply for scraping the coast seems rather bizarre to me. It would be one thing if it was crossing the island or going deep inland but it's not now and it's not expected to go deep inland. 

5 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

It hasn't made it completely on shore as of yet, and it needs to make a hard left right about now in order to do so from what I'm seeing.

I agree, I was referencing that Euro shot, it could hit cuba again as a 4, but it won't stay over Cuba and simultaneously strengthen to a 4, sorry wasn't clear, juggling a phone call on a business deal :\

2 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Best IR presentation in past few hours, the "stick a fork in it" posts are trolling

GOES14452017252OfY5jl.jpg

Eye is barely on shore in that shot, that water is so warm that when it pulls back out over water, with its core structure it will probably strengthen fast.

As you can see on the 12z GFS, the key to the track of Irma is going to be Capa Ramano --if the storm passes Ramano (and Marco Island) without making landfall, then shifts of just a few miles in track (because of the angle of approach) can be the difference between a landfall somewhere around Charlotte Harbor, Tampa Bay or the storm NEVER making landfall on the peninsula and instead coming ashore for the first time in the panhandle.

As demonstrated last night you can see anything you want with individual frames and usually its a mirage. I am praying it continues to hug the coast or go inland to damage it further. The US cannot sustain another disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived