joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bring up the NAM not for its predictive value, but because the 12k and the 3k pose an interesting comparison - and are the difference between a major problem and a huge problem, respectively.  Both interact with cuba until about midnight tonight, and both then head due north. But simple wobbles on the 3k shift the track west over time, meaning a landfall nearer Tampa and up into the panhandle, while the 12k brings it inland south of Marco island, meaning Irma weakens over land much quicker.

I don't think either model is forecast worthy, but the point is that it's a very tight angle of approach to Florida, and probably more a matter of nowcasting than model guidance even 24-36 hours out. 20 miles makes all the difference.

Just now, USCG RS said:
1 minute ago, forecasterjack said:
ECMWF forecast IR vs actual GOES-16 IR at 11 AM. Irma farther north than forecast. ECMWF, even with excessive land interaction, brought Irma back to a cat 4. 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090900_15_5798_482.thumb.png.8f583a50e6eb31302519be027cde15a8.png

us_sat-en-087-0_2017_09_09_14_40_9236_351.thumb.png.74862203c98773a3a3c938edf5292cf9.png

Those cloud tops are coming BTW.

They've been cooling all morning in fact! Also becoming more symmetric in the overall CDO presentation. GOES-16 loop: https://weather.us/satellite/791-w-221-n/top-alert-superhd-5min.html#play

Remember when the GFS showed Irma hitting NYC for about ten runs in a row and the Euro was insisting on the Carolinas? Pretty amazing how areas NE of GA might not experience much impact at all. I still think we could possibly see a last minute Easterly jog, and one of the reasons is that the winds associated with the incoming trough will be out of the Southwest. So initially Irma should move a bit NNE before eventually getting captured by the ULL. 

1 minute ago, forecasterjack said:

ECMWF forecast IR vs actual GOES-16 IR at 11 AM. Irma farther north than forecast. ECMWF, even with excessive land interaction, brought Irma back to a cat 4. 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090900_15_5798_482.png

us_sat-en-087-0_2017_09_09_14_40_9236_351.png

Yea I noticed that as well. She's very close to avoiding a landfall on Cuba proper. That would be a game changer. Looks like as soon as the eye goes back over open it water she looks better. 

They've been cooling all morning in fact! Also becoming more symmetric in the overall CDO presentation. GOES-16 loop: https://weather.us/satellite/791-w-221-n/top-alert-superhd-5min.html#play

Yes, and she's yet to hit open water.

People forget how rapidly she deepened in the Atlantic. In under 24 hrs she went from winds of 120 to 175. The water is not as warm there.

Looks like a possible devastating hit for Ft Myers coming, love that place so much. Such a nice area with nice people. A lot of elders reside in Ft Myers. Buildings there are well built, stone houses that will be put to the test. Ft Myers beach doesn't have very much well built houses, seemed pretty storm surge prone when I was there. Worrying about a devastating impact to Ft Myers beach and the Ft Myers area. Have family there that has evacuated. 

let's also not have a short memory... harvey was reduced to nearly a swirl of clouds and we all saw what it was able to accomplish in a 24 hour period under the right conditions.

Harvey? Lol Charley went entirely over Cuba and strengthened from 100 to 145 in that spot in just 3 hours. That area is the ultimate hurricane truck stop

20 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

What bothers me is that we all knew based on the models that it was going to potentially scrape or make LF in Cuba and de-intensify, yet people still freaked out. 

What worries me is that I always read from mets that a strengthening hurricane is a lot more dangerous than a weakening one and it looks like we'll get just that. 

Just stop. This is so wrong. Katrina was a weakening hurricane at landfall. So was Sandy. Ike and numerous others that had destructive impacts 

In case this comes in handy tomorrow:

Rank Hurricane Season Landfall pressure
1 "Labor Day" 1935 892 mbar (hPa)
2 Camille 1969 900 mbar (hPa)
3 Katrina 2005 920 mbar (hPa)
4 Andrew 1992 922 mbar (hPa)
5 "Indianola" 1886 925 mbar (hPa)
6 "Florida Keys" 1919 927 mbar (hPa)
7 "Okeechobee" 1928 929 mbar (hPa)
8 "Great Miami" 1926 930 mbar (hPa)
Donna 1960 930 mbar (hPa)
10 Carla 1961 931 mbar (hPa)
Source: HURDAT,[1] Hurricane
Research Division[2]

It look like any dry air that the system has absorbed has not reached the core. That has stayed mainly intact.

Unfortunately, there is going to be very little it seems to inhibit rapid intensification and whether o not a model disagrees on track, they all agreee on RI heading through the Florida straits. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

IR satellite presentation has looked better in the last hour or so. 

I actually think the core looks incredibly healthy considering the amount of land interaction. If it still looks anything like this as it emerges into the FL strait it has a good chance to intensify rapidly. Storms have entered that region in much worse shake and exploded. Yes shear increases later tomorrow but there is at least a 12-18 hour window before that. There is no guarantee. Sometimes storms have trouble getting organized. It might not intensify. But I wouldn't bet against it and some of the posts implying irma has been shredded or severely crippled and is unlikely to intensify are irresponsible and send the wrong message. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived