• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

Pretty discouraging to wake up and see the overnight Euro and track adjustments.  Very encouraging to see Irma feeling the effects of land interaction and weakening perhaps beyond what was communicated.  I'll take it, and would like to see more erosion before Irma emerges into the Florida Straits and heads north.  The track and the severity of actual impacts up along the FLA Gulf Coast is still subject to very small deviations, even 10-20 miles.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ag3 said:

The Ukmet had the Cuba landfall for days. 

In all due respect the UKmet had IRMA going far into Cuba that clearly isn't happening here... it's a brush of the coast. This hurricane still has plenty of time once fully off coast to re strengthen. IRMA has been all surprises for all of us. Hitting extremely high wind speeds for record times and low mb readings. Just because of some interaction with Cuba doesn't mean it won't ramp back up again. 

In all due respect the UKmet had IRMA going far into Cuba that clearly isn't happening here... it's a brush of the coast. This hurricane still has plenty of time once fully off coast to re strengthen. IRMA has been all surprises for all of us. Hitting extremely high wind speeds for record times and low mb readings. Just because of some interaction with Cuba doesn't mean it won't ramp back up again. 

As long as her core is in tact... She has the distinct potential for incredibly rapid deepening.

Just now, USCG RS said:
9 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

As long as her core is in tact... She has the distinct potential for incredibly rapid deepening.

Yes totally agree and I should of made that more clear in my post... but as of right now her core is in tact and don't see that being a problem. 

5 minutes ago, jasons said:

Just saw the new guidance. So in a day and a half, we've gone from an east coast runner to a west coast runner. Most of my family and friends are in the bay area. I'm just sick.

The GFS beyond hour 240 actually had this type of track as a pegged possibility I find that amazing actually!  I am really kicking myself because I wished I would have saved that run or two.

URNT12 KNHC 091419
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL112017
A. 09/14:02:00Z
B. 22 deg 45 min N
  079 deg 35 min W
C. 700 mb 2590 m
D. 99 kt
E. 043 deg 9 nm
F. 120 deg 104 kt
G. 034 deg 17 nm
H. 941 mb
I. 13 C / 3052 m
J. 16 C / 3051 m
K. NA / NA
L. CLOSED
M. C15
N. 12345 / 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF307 2611A IRMA               OB 22
MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 105 KT 017 / 22 NM 14:09:00Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 175 / 7 KT

Eye has shrunk considerably due to frictional effects. However, its life is running a bit low on time. If it shrinks too much with it still partially on land and insufficient flux to support core convection, it could collapse. Riding a fine line here.

3 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Irma seems to be moving WNW based off KBYX's radar. Also presents the inner core to be in tact still.

Thanks. I've been watching KBYX's radar on GR3 this morning. Core is definitely very healthy on radar and it's been moving WNW for past several hours ( the turn appears to have begun IMO). The GFS is verifying better at the moment on the COC than the EURO and it looks to free of cuba early this afternoon.. The IR tops have obviously warmed due to the land interaction. The eye never made it fully on shore. I think that long penninsula/island chain just NE of the Cuba mainland has had more of an impact than anticipated. That and of course the SW side being disrupted by mountainous terrain. All things considered, the pressure rise was well modeled and we should no doubt see re-intensification tonight. Given the shear being relatively minor until it reaches central Florida and the TCHP of the Florida straits, it has potential to bomb out again, no doubt. Whether it does all depends on ERC's/inner dynamics of the Hurricane. I will say this, in 24 hours some of the posts this morning will be looked at as some of the dumbest in weather board history. That I have no doubts about and will be tempted to bump troll.

6 minutes ago, Michigander said:

Bastardi predicting Cat 5 at LF, FWIW

Given that he's an adamant denier of climate change, it's not worth much.

Not saying that it can't be Cat 5, I'm still concerned what the next 12 hours will bring as Irma heads over the bath water between Cuba and FL, but Bastardi deserves zero credit and attention as a Serious Meteorologist

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
3 minutes ago, Michigander said:
Bastardi predicting Cat 5 at LF, FWIW

I agree cat five is a good possibility

I wonder if the proposed strengthening process can concentrate angular momentum.  To put it simply, the storm will soon have reduced friction and access to an increase of ocean latent heat.  As it speeds up in an increasingly favorable environment, does it become a heat engine with increasing concentrated energy?

I wonder if the proposed strengthening process can concentrate angular momentum.  To put it simply, the storm will soon have reduced friction and access to an increase of ocean latent heat.  As it speeds up in an increasingly favorable environment, does it become a heat engine with increasing concentrated energy?

On the other thread I commented about ERC and how the HBL has issues with angular momentum hence the need for ERC. Essentially, this is what happens as they strengthen.

What bothers me is that we all knew based on the models that it was going to potentially scrape or make LF in Cuba and de-intensify, yet people still freaked out. 

What worries me is that I always read from mets that a strengthening hurricane is a lot more dangerous than a weakening one and it looks like we'll get just that. 

Updated surge values

Cape Sable to Captiva...10 to 15 ft
Captiva to Ana Maria Island...6 to 10 ft
Card Sound Bridge through Cape Sable, including the Florida
Keys...5 to 10 ft
Ana Maria Island to Clearwater Beach, including Tampa Bay...5 to 8
ft
North Miami Beach to Card Sound Bridge, including Biscayne Bay...4
to 6 ft
Isle of Palms, South Carolina to Fernandina Beach...4 to 6 ft
Clearwater Beach to Ochlockonee River...4 to 6 ft
Fernandina Beach to North Miami Beach...2 to 4 ft

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

What bothers me is that we all knew based on the models that it was going to potentially scrape or make LF in Cuba and de-intensify, yet people still freaked out. 

What worries me is that I always read from mets that a strengthening hurricane is a lot more dangerous than a weakening one and it looks like we'll get just that. 

The NHC still had it at 155mph at this time in their advisory last night, so they did not anticipate this much weakening

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived