SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fwiw - there are going to be any number of jogs... At some point in the next 12 hours Irma will turn and start to take a clear direction; the next model runs after that (12z) will be the more definitive. Watching the storm now is probably less useful. It seems relatively clear that it will.make landfall somewhere between Tampa and the very southern tip of FL... my bet is around Naples. But that's really only a 40 mile range, when you cut it north to south. The level of precision we all want won't be there until noon tomorrow. And precision matters less in a storm this size anyway. So by all means parse the GFS CMC and euro... but it's a game of inches. I think there will be a decent period tomorrow night where the exact path becomes pretty obvious, give or take a wobble.

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

here's a link to the long range miami radar loop for when irma gets into range

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=AMX&product=N0Z&overlay=01100000&loop=yes

Non flash version:

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=AMX&product=N0Z&overlay=01100000&loop=yes

e: Is there a way to get 248nm radar on the cod.edu site?

9 minutes ago, Buckeye05 said:

Seems to be pulling away from Cuba now, but land interaction has clearly already had a significant impact on Irma. 

I might be missing something, but I wonder how much of the degraded appearance on the western side (on satellite) is due to interaction with Cuba.  Wouldn't the southern side be more likely to take a hit?

Anyway, next recon will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I might be missing something, but I wonder how much of the degraded appearance on the western side (on satellite) is due to interaction with Cuba.  Wouldn't the southern side be more likely to take a hit?

I think it might pulling dry air around from the mountains on the SE side of Cuba.. The dry air is coming around into the nwq of the storm though. The core is fighting it...

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was sort of thinking the same thing.  The area that lose enhancement was not where you'd expect

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think there some topography interaction going on there. Likely down sloping off the mountain range in that vicinity. See below:

Cuba-Topography-Map.mediumthumb.jpg

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived