Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sojitodd said:

So wasn't interaction with Cuba supposed to weaken this a bit? Instead it has interacted and is back up to 160mph? I don't get it.

Half of COC core remained over water plus as many have said she is healthy all around and conditions atmospherically are good for her to remain in tact provided the entire eye doesnt go completely inland.

1 minute ago, sojitodd said:

So wasn't interaction with Cuba supposed to weaken this a bit? Instead it has interacted and is back up to 160mph? I don't get it.

The interaction is really between the relatively stable eyewall and Cuba, not so much the overall CDO and Cuba. That interaction is really just starting now.

1 minute ago, Blue Ridge said:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-96-1-20

i cannot stop watching this loop. Consistent SW motion and then it hits a wall. Last few frames look to be NW. One of the most fascinating tropical cyclones of our time. 

This storm is going to spawn so many dissertations...

Hopefully this is the last of the "historic" storms of the season 

Just now, sojitodd said:

It can still weaken over the course of tonight with expectation of riding parallel to the northern coastline. It's been stated multiple times this evening that the northern fringes of the Cuban coast are flat and the interaction with the land at first will be minor. Through the course of any entire evening and into the morning, the core of the cyclone will be be half on and half off, so there will, at the very least, be some plateauing of intensity as this moves WNW and more than likely some pressure rises will occur. Once the turn is made between 18-22z tomorrow, as long as the core of Irma holds together and is structurally sound, she will be in the best breading environment there is, outside of the Western Caribbean, for further intensification with limited shear until she reaches the Keys. TCHP is running very high with deep layered warm water between 86-89F through its journey toward the island chain. This will be fun to watch through the night.

7 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-96-1-20

i cannot stop watching this loop. Consistent SW motion and then it hits a wall. Last few frames look to be NW. One of the most fascinating tropical cyclones of our time. 

Watch the loops of Sandy taking a left turn into NJ/NY, it almost looks like a 45° turn. 

3 minutes ago, AcePuppy said:

11pm Advisory

214634_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Wish we had some in between points between 8 pm Sun and 8 pm Mon, but that is just about as bad as it gets for southwest FL, and continues to increase concern for pretty damaging winds into the Tampa area with potential surge issues depending on exact track.

Kinda surprised there are still hurricane warnings in the NW Bahamas. I doubt they see hurricane force winds if the center hugs the west FL coast. 

The southern most Bahama island will probably experience hurricane gusts at the very least. Not sure they can just issue a warning for parts of the islands therefore warning is warranted.

3 minutes ago, jasons said:

I have a question now. I think it's apparent she has hit a wall and you can start to see the tug to the NW. If this is true (and not a wobble), could this mean a correction east? Isn't this happening a bit sooner than expected?

I was also wondering about this and about a slowing forward motion causing a turn to the north farther east than expected. I just don't trust this storm to do what it is supposed to do.

3 minutes ago, jasons said:

I have a question now. I think it's apparent she has hit a wall and you can start to see the tug to the NW. If this is true (and not a wobble), could this mean a correction east? Isn't this happening a bit sooner than expected?

Probably not.  The model agreement is pretty strong right now and some hurricane models and Euro ensembles do have a more WNW track off Cuba yet still put it into western Florida. 

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

It can still weaken over the course of tonight with expectation of riding parallel to the northern coastline. It's been stated multiple times this evening that the northern fringes of the Cuban coast are flat and the interaction with the land at first will be minor. Through the course of any entire evening and into the morning, the core of the cyclone will be be half on and half off, so there will, at the very least, be some plateauing of intensity as this moves WNW and more than likely some pressure rises will occur. Once the turn is made between 18-22z tomorrow, as long as the core of Irma holds together and is structurally sound, she will be in the best breading environment there is, outside of the Western Caribbean, for further intensification with limited shear until she reaches the Keys. TCHP is running very high with deep layered warm water between 86-89F through its journey toward the island chain. This will be fun to watch through the night.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Wish we had some in between points between 8 pm Sun and 8 pm Mon, but that is just about as bad as it gets for southwest FL, and continues to increase concern for pretty damaging winds into the Tampa area with potential surge issues depending on exact track.

The land in that archipelago are mostly mangrove swamp (look in google maps & turn on the satellite background). That means it's still essentially over water. 

2 minutes ago, mfgmfg said:

Difficult to see where the cone is on the last NHC update with the watch/warning lines so here's a screencap of the interactive map:

diApSsf.png

If you turn off the warnings, it passes directly over Summerland Key. Big Pine Key in the RFQ. Key West on the "good" side.

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

It won't really matter if Key West is on the "good" side with that track as the surge will move over the island as the eyewall moves over the shelf. That's a horrible scenario.

Plus category 3 sustained winds, if not stronger. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived