Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AmericanWxFreak said:

Asking for family in PuntaGorda/Charlotte Harbor are of Ft Myers... I'm getting worried about surge for them. They are on canals. Anyone have any estimates on surge heights in that area that I can pass on to get them prepared. Sorry for the sort of frowned upon IMBY post but I thought here would be my best chance for solid info 

I would get out ASAP if I lived in a flood prone area down there, near canals sound like they're flood prone. I would think 10+ foot surge if the eye goes overhead or just west, which is a distinct possibility with the west trend today. The worst surge might be as the eye goes north of them as the wind switches to west and onshore. 

1 minute ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

Asking for family in PuntaGorda/Charlotte Harbor are of Ft Myers... I'm getting worried about surge for them. They are on canals. Anyone have any estimates on surge heights in that area that I can pass on to get them prepared. Sorry for the sort of frowned upon IMBY post but I thought here would be my best chance for solid info 

This is the experimental model from NHC -

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/214634.shtml?inundation#contents

Up to 5-9 feet depending on where they are

9 minutes ago, Hotair said:

I keep hearing tremendous storm surge potential in Tampa but the highest I can find anyone claiming is 10-15 feet.  I know that's a lot of water but does that mean zones B and C would be OK? 

I think the Bayshore/South Tampa is going to be in some danger. A lot of the big house and unfortunately some of the run down college apartments in that area could be in quite a bit of danger with storm surge from the Bay.

Looking at storm surge maps the west coast of Florida is most prone to storm surge.  I keep seeing the forecast of huge storm surge.  I guess my question is as long as Irma's eye stays just inland from the west coast isn't all the water driven out by a strong north wind?  That keeps storm surge possibility much less?   Of course as Irma passes then the west wind rushes in and a storm surge develops.  *IF*  the west trend continued a bit more and Irma managed to stay just off the west coast then the water is all driven north on the RFQ into inland areas. Irma stays stronger and then as Irma passes the west wind comes in and drives and surge even further.  

My question is,  the exact path of the eye over the west coast makes a huge difference for Naples, Ft Myers and very, very big difference into Tampa Bay,  right??

I would get out ASAP if I lived in a flood prone area down there, near canals sound like they're flood prone. I would think 10+ foot surge if the eye goes overhead or just west, which is a distinct possibility with the west trend today. The worst surge might be as the eye goes north of them as the wind switches to west and onshore. 

This is my concern. The further west with a right turn forces surge onto the shallow shelf inland. I cannot stress how bad surge would be for these areas. Much worse than Wilma simply due to the amount of funneling of sea level heights in the Florida Straits. Then as the core turns NNW-N, that pushes heights into the SW Florida coastal inlets and harbors. The Keys get overwelmed, but that does not stop the onshore flow of the eyewall. Naples is particularly vulnerable. 12-15 feet seems likely unless Irma trends back to the east.

18 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I really think Tampa is in huge trouble, they are a couple west ticks away from getting slammed directly.

All in all this will be a catastrophic storm there's no denying that. The storm surge on the west coast will be tremendous and the entire state will be impacted.  

Also poor Cuba they're going to have some disasterous impacts as well, tremendous performance by the Ukmet model on this. 

How can you just blurt out that the storm surge on the west coast will be tremendous until there is something that says it is going to track even more west? you have facts? you know something that we do not know other then your guess? nothing is set in stone till it happens.

1 minute ago, rdcrds4 said:

How can you just blurt out that the storm surge on the west coast will be tremendous until there is something that says it is going to track even more west? you have facts? you know something that we do not know other then your guess? nothing is set in stone till it happens.

If it travels along the west coast and nails the cities along the coast with the eye, there will be a huge surge given how large and powerful the storm is. That's certain. 

1 minute ago, rdcrds4 said:

The west coast is prone to storm surge and several ensembles take it further west plus there's been a consistent west trend with all of the guidance. I'm not saying it will happen but the risk has definitely increased today.

16 minutes ago, Hotair said:

I keep hearing tremendous storm surge potential in Tampa but the highest I can find anyone claiming is 10-15 feet.  I know that's a lot of water but does that mean zones B and C would be OK? 

Theoretical max was 26ft for downtown in the Project Phoenix scenario. This was for a 160mph cat 5 on a NNE approach. I've also seen low 30s modeled in county documents for the area around Tampa General on Davis Island.

http://www.tbrpc.org/tampabaycatplan/pdf/Project_Phoenix_Scenario_Info.pdf

3 minutes ago, bigtenfan said:

We all know that there are no "good" options for Florida in this situation. Of all of the realistic possibilities where would Irma have to track to give Florida as a whole the least amount of damage?

Well, missing the west coast and landfalling in the Big Bend, after that basically going straight up the center (tracking through the Everglades on the south end), but even that idea is bad.

Just now, OUGrad05 said:

Maybe already been discussed but I just got home from dinner.  She's on a pretty good westerly track, may come ashore in Cuba and weaken considerably?  Might also move a bit further west adding more relief to Miami area?

NHC says even if it goes make landfall, it will probably sustain itself since its not going over mountainous terrain 

This storm is about to spend about 24 hours with the center or part of the eye over land and strengthen 5mph?   I respect NHC, but this is NOT HAPPENING. Irma will weaken due to interaction with land.  Feel free to make your own guesses on how much.

INIT  08/2100Z 22.1N  76.5W  135 KT 155 MPH
 12H  09/0600Z 22.4N  78.2W  135 KT 155 MPH
 24H  09/1800Z 23.0N  79.9W  135 KT 155 MPH
 36H  10/0600Z 24.1N  81.0W  140 KT 160 MPH
 48H  10/1800Z 25.7N  81.5W  125 KT 145 MPH
 72H  11/1800Z 30.6N  83.0W   50 KT  60 MPH...INLAND
 96H  12/1800Z 35.0N  85.9W   25 KT  30 MPH...INLAND
120H  13/1800Z 35.6N  87.0W   20 KT  25 MPH...POST-TROP/INLAND

Just now, Amped said:

This storm is about to spend about 24 hours with the center or part of the eye over land and strengthen 5mph?   I respect NHC, but this is NOT HAPPENING. Irma will weaken due to interaction with land.  Feel free to make your own guesses on how much.

They're upgrading it shortly.

Just now, Amped said:

Why do you doubt the NHC's outlook?

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

That's after it moves back into the Florida Strait, both the weakening estimates and the intensifying thereafter are possibly underestimates in terms of overall magnitude.

Also I'd like to see backup of your claim that the eye was "collapsing" on radar earlier.

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

I think it drops 20-25 mph

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived