Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 87storms said:

maybe the slightest wobble nw, but either way one helluva close call for cuba.  hard to tell if it will make landfall or skirt the coastline or somewhere in between.

Based on satellite, the eye moved due west between 1915 and 2245 UTC, although the latest half-hourly frame showed some north-of-west movement. 

7 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Just got home from dinner, you guys weren't kidding about Irma getting its act together.

Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind:    159 kts (183.0 mph)
SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind:    136 kts (156.5 mph)

Surrounding obs of 150+ kt flight level and 125+ kt SFMRs are supportive.

So is this going to landfall in Cuba or just skirt the coast? Going to be close. Seems like convection is exploding again near center. Wonder if this will start a weakening trend again being so close to Cuba

I can't find a track along the central northern Cuba coastline this intense. Ike was inland and though large, not this strong. Bad news...

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

18z GEFS.  Based on this and other model guidance, there's an increasing possibility of the Tampa area getting into some part of the eyewall.  Tampa-St Pete area is home to a few million people, and they have some skyscrapers of their own...

11L_gefs_latest.thumb.png.843e49d621c79af8da1229ac66fe54b6.png

Real concern also for Fort Myers, Sarasota, Naples, etc. At the least on this track they will get strong surge with the west winds behind the eye. If the eye goes over or just west, that whole stretch is in massive trouble. The Gulf side is much more surge vulnerable than the Atlantic side, and is heavily populated as well. 

I really think Tampa is in huge trouble, they are a couple west ticks away from getting slammed directly.

All in all this will be a catastrophic storm there's no denying that. The storm surge on the west coast will be tremendous and the entire state will be impacted.  

Also poor Cuba they're going to have some disasterous impacts as well, tremendous performance by the Ukmet model on this. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

18z GEFS.  Based on this and other model guidance, there's an increasing possibility of the Tampa area getting into some part of the eyewall.  Tampa-St Pete area is home to a few million people, and they have some skyscrapers of their own...

11L_gefs_latest.thumb.png.843e49d621c79af8da1229ac66fe54b6.png

Tampa will not get an onshore flow until Irma is north of them. It will have weekend a lot by then if it is over land, but   there are 3 members clipping the coast near the bay which is their worst case scenario track.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

I really think Tampa is in huge trouble, they are a couple west ticks away from getting slammed directly.

All in all this will be a catastrophic storm there's no denying that. The storm surge on the west coast will be tremendous and the entire state will be impacted.  

Also poor Cuba they're going to have some disasterous impacts as well, tremendous performance by the Ukmet model on this. 

I keep hearing tremendous storm surge potential in Tampa but the highest I can find anyone claiming is 10-15 feet.  I know that's a lot of water but does that mean zones B and C would be OK? 

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

I keep hearing tremendous storm surge potential in Tampa but the highest I can find anyone claiming is 10-15 feet.  I know that's a lot of water but does that mean zones B and C would be OK? 

It is my opinion that additional evacuations will be ordered should this western track continue to look more likely. 

Asking for family in PuntaGorda/Charlotte Harbor are of Ft Myers... I'm getting worried about surge for them. They are on canals. Anyone have any estimates on surge heights in that area that I can pass on to get them prepared. Sorry for the sort of frowned upon IMBY post but I thought here would be my best chance for solid info 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived