• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
is it moral to be rooting for irma to restrengthen?

the ghost of leroy

moral?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. is it moral to root for deepening?

• yes
    • no

1 minute ago, cmasty1978 said:

seems some people think so.  i made this as a separate thread in hopes of not derailing the main one.

Meh.  I've wanted to see storms affecting other areas strengthen so I'm not going to be a little b**ch about people wishing the one coming to me to strengthen. 

It depends on the reason why. Imo, if youre rooting restrengthening because of the destruction that will entail. That's immoral. However, if you're rooting for it to restrengthen because of the meteorological aspect and the fascination of the storm itself, its moral in my eyes. The shift between the storm and the impact is where I put the line. Morality is a touchy topic.

Is moral the right word? I'm no philosopher but I don't believe in magic, therefore I don't believe we can affect storms with our thoughts, so ...

That said, bias in either direction is annoying in *storm thread posts*, although I'm generally only savvy enough to spot it in my own metro and during winter.

Morality aside. If you like weather you are fascinated by the extremes of weather, whether it's the Moore Tornado or Hurricane Andrew. Many on this board, including myself have chased weather events, you don't go for a rain storm. So I think most people want to see whether theoretical maximums can be challenged, just like Irma this week. I can hope for less human impacts and property damage, but it some ways when looking at it from a meteorological perspective you have to remove the human factor. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know.

If it as 0% human impact - OTS or never touching land then I don't see a problem with it. When the storm is going to effect the 3rd most populated state any chance of rooting for a strengthening should go out the window - think of this storm impacting YOU and imagine reading what some of the people have said on these boards.

seeing "magnificent" "impressive" "beautiful" just kills me

Touchy subject.  I think it's pretty tacky to actually cheer for death and misery. Hurricanes are a bit different than tornadoes.  With hurricanes, they have to hit land for you to really see the power. With tornadoes, you can watch them in a rural area and still get a good show.  

There's always the balance between wanting to see the power of nature and the effects it has on people.  A strengthening storm obviously heightens the prospects of loss of life and property.  Everybody gets thrown challenges in life (to varying degrees of course), whether it's serious chronic or terminal illness, losing property via the weather, or other things.  In the case of this hurricane, all you can do is hope that those affected are able to recover and get back on their feet as soon as possible.  

it doesn't make a difference on it strengthening or not either way so who cares? White knighting a weather forum for people being excited about something that is meteorologically exciting is about as tacky as the people wishing for a cat 5 to slam Miami. In my opinion, the type of people that start this argument in every single big storm thread must have some self esteem issues if they are really trying to make themselves feel morally superior over weather weenies that are hyped over an extremely uncommon weather event. Weather kills and negatively effects the lives of people unfortunately, but wanting to see an extreme storm because of an interest in weather occur doesn't make one immoral. Believe it ot not it is possible to be excited about a cat 5 making landfall and also hope that everyone makes it through alive and recovers quickly.  Hoping to witness a cat 5 doesn't mean you're rooting for the people in it's path to die and suffer and again it has no outcome on what actually happens.

Archived