SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Jose

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The consensus of the guidance coupled with historical climatology for hurricanes passing within 100 nautical miles of Jose’s 5 am position continues to suggest that Jose will take an offshore track. Jose should pass to the south and east of Montauk Point and Nantucket as it heads through the waters of the northeastern U.S. and then heads farther out into the Atlantic. 

Since 1851, 39% of the hurricanes passing within 100 nautical miles of Jose’s 5 am position made U.S. landfall. The EPS and GEFS show a lower landfall probability. 

Nevertheless, parts of the U.S., especially North Carolina’s Outer Banks, parts of Suffolk County and southeastern Massachusetts still could experience tropical storm conditions. 

Select rainfall forecasts from the 9/16 0z ECMWF are below:

Atlantic City: 0.38”
Boston: 1.03”
Bridgeport: 0.63”
Hartford: 0.50”
Islip: 0.75”
Nantucket: 3.19”
New York City: 0.44”
Plymouth: 2.48”
Portland: 0.47”
Providence: 1.95”
Westhampton: 1.30”

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

The consensus of the guidance coupled with historical climatology for hurricanes passing within 100 nautical miles of Jose’s 5 am position continues to suggest that Jose will take an offshore track. Jose should pass to the south and east of Montauk Point and Nantucket as it heads through the waters of the northeastern U.S. and then heads farther out into the Atlantic. 

Since 1851, 39% of the hurricanes passing within 100 nautical miles of Jose’s 5 am position made U.S. landfall. The EPS and GEFS show a lower landfall probability. 

Nevertheless, parts of the U.S., especially North Carolina’s Outer Banks, parts of Suffolk County and southeastern Massachusetts still could experience tropical storm conditions. 

Select rainfall forecasts from the 9/16 0z ECMWF are below:

Atlantic City: 0.38”
Boston: 1.03”
Bridgeport: 0.63”
Hartford: 0.50”
Islip: 0.75”
Nantucket: 3.19”
New York City: 0.44”
Plymouth: 2.48”
Portland: 0.47”
Providence: 1.95”
Westhampton: 1.30”

Much appreciated Don! Does the cluster of the models show it going over the benchmark?  Also could you provide maximum wind gusts for the same locations as in the list above? And please add JFK/Nassau County to the list, interpolating from the above, the precip total should be around 0.6" but I'm not sure how high the winds would be.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Much appreciated Don! Does the cluster of the models show it going over the benchmark?  Also could you provide maximum wind gusts for the same locations as in the list above? And please add JFK/Nassau County to the list, interpolating from the above, the precip total should be around 0.6" but I'm not sure how high the winds would be.  Thanks!

This evening, I will provide a more complete list, including JFK.

Recon is currently in Jose, two interesting findings so far

Pressure is down to 978mb according to the dropsonde (it has 10kt winds though, and extrap is down to 975mb)

FL winds are stronger about 100mi to the E/NE of the center than in the SE eyewall (84kt vs 70kt), SFMR has 65kt surface winds in the SE eyewall

So...Jose is strengthening 

Umm. Umm. I have no words for this. Hurricane (or Tropical Storm) Jose moves SW as Hurricane-15 moves northeast. This is the ECMWF forecast image for 9/26 at 06z.

fjgs1qf.png&key=1181f3ba36cc6bb301c3c08e7206d500586c609e46ff5129f2723319513caa47

I can see the fake Facebook posts already "two hurricanes combine to make a category 7 supercane"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived