Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Jose

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, kdennis78 said:

What is the 40/70 benchmark? I think I know but I don't want to vocalize my ignorance if I don't.  :) 

40N latitude and 70W longitude. 

It's usually talked about with snowstorms. Too far west of the benchmark and it's typically rain and sleet. Too far east and it misses you. 

5 minutes ago, kdennis78 said:

Thanks, I thought it was that. But in tropical systems I didn't know if it meant sweet spot for a Mid-Atlantic hurricane strike. Sandy was enough for me, and NJ (and no one) really needs another strike.

It's not. It's just a general location reference. Nothing more. It no way implies a hit to the mid-Atlantic

31 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I agree. The 10ft storm tide that came through my house was definitely garbage. :(

How Is able to fly? Anything disrespectful to the Irma victims was getting deleted during the storm.

Long Beach had more damage then anywhere in the entire mainland of Florida and similar damage as the Keys. And that's just one of hundreds of examples.

Just now, LSC97wxnut said:

And Jose or what's left of him still spinning northeast of Bermuda?

The trend of Jose getting stuck SE sooner is probably important. I just don't know how it will play out. I suppose at least one of these two hurricanes on the GFS will be an EC impact. The question is, which one?

Aside from beach erosion and any low potential land interaction with OBX that can't yet be entirely ruled out, Jose's meandering in the general vicinity between the Bahamas and Bermuda has been beneficial. Jose's circulation has decreased shallow layer SSTs around 2°C over a large area, and in combination with Irma, their upwelling has significantly weakened TCHP north of the Lesser Antilles and Puerto Rico. Granted, the Bahamas are still bathwater, as is most of the Caribbean and GOM. But any potential future NW trackers into the triangle may be checked in intensity, at least until a closer approach into the Bahamas or the Gulf Stream. Obviously any tracks further south into the Bahamas would still have high intensity/major hurricane potential.

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

12z gefs not helping clarify things at all. Huge spread at 126 hr, ranging from coastal North Carolina to well east of the BM.

Looks like a bifurcation around day 3. The north group are (almost) all recurving out to sea. Substantial variability in the south group.

XjXUscH.png

11 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

HWTF is near-evacuation material for Jersey Shore, things are getting dicey. Not willing to take a stand on intensity other than waters support a 960mb cane at that location.

I wouldn't go that far.  We are days out yet.  Tracks are very uncertain.  A track 300 miles offshore would give some large waves/spill over/beach erosion.  Our beaches have handled the large swells over the last few weeks quite well, no need to sound the alarms. 

Archived