Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Jose

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Very true, but the chance of having a hurricane off shore is increasing. And with it coastal imacts. 

What's notable at this point is the amount of close east coast passes/hits shown on the GFS and Euro since this came within range of model guidance. It indicates to me that a large variety of solutions still bring about a similar result.... 

What's notable at this point is the amount of close east coast passes/hits shown on the GFS and Euro since this came within range of model guidance. It indicates to me that a large variety of solutions still bring about a similar result.... 

I guess I would argue it's not really in range of model guidance yet. But it bears watching, sure.

On the ensembles, I see a large variety of solutions yielding a large variety of results.

16 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Very true, but the chance of having a hurricane off shore is increasing. And with it coastal imacts. 

On this we don't disagree. I was more focused on speculation about specific landfall locations. While landfall is within the range of possible outcomes, it's too soon to speculate on details given model skill at 240 hours.

35 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I guess I would argue it's not really in range of model guidance yet. But it bears watching, sure.

On the ensembles, I see a large variety of solutions yielding a large variety of results.

Yes, members with varied initial conditions, -- of course we will see the large spread out 240 hrs...

I find it noteworthy that the unperturbed guidance --the empirical best guesses, if you will-- of the GFS and Euro continue to show a close approach to the eastern CONUS. 

Yes, members with varied initial conditions, -- of course we will see the large spread out 240 hrs...

I find it noteworthy that the unperturbed guidance --the empirical best guesses, if you will-- of the GFS and Euro continue to show a close approach to the eastern CONUS. 

You know as well as I do that h5 has basically no chance of verifying with any detail this far out, let alone the track of a tropical cyclone.

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
14 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

You know as well as I do that h5 has basically no chance of verifying with any detail this far out, let alone the track of a tropical cyclone.

Yes, and that's precisely why I'm not focusing on details...

The general long wave pave pattern is another story...

Irma is a perfect case in point, actually...

Agree that we cannot focus too much on model runs 10-14 days out. But has anyone seen Jose on the 6Z GFS? Has anyone ever seen behavior like that even that far out? It appears to continue to retrograde Jose towards the SW for many many hours over the Atlantic. Not just a stall or a meander. A steady SW and then S traverse between 264 and 284.

6 minutes ago, larrye said:

Agree that we cannot focus too much on model runs 10-14 days out. But has anyone seen Jose on the 6Z GFS? Has anyone ever seen behavior like that even that far out? It appears to continue to retrograde Jose towards the SW for many many hours over the Atlantic. Not just a stall or a meander. A steady SW and then S traverse between 264 and 284.

There is a blocking high to the northeast of the storm. That's why it retro gaded back south westward.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=atl&pkg=mslpa&runtime=2017091006&fh=42&xpos=0&ypos=684

In about 60-72 hours, we should figure out if Jose could still be in play to affect the U.S. Models that have Jose go OTS have it get picked up by a trough. The inland models have Jose avoid being picked up, allowing it to approach. Like Irma showed us, we really shouldn't look at 240-hour runs and get all hot and bothered because of a sexy eastern seaboard hit. Let's see if Jose will even be in position first, then we can figure out trough placements and what Jose will do.

if Jose avoids getting picked up by the trough it'll be an ACE monster. It'll just sit in a decently favorable area for days. upwelling should prevent it from strengthening(plus who knows regarding shear) as shown by the nws intensity but it should have no problem maintaining hurricane strength. will be interesting to watch the next few days just to see if it misses the trough to take it out to sea. if that occurs then potential landfalls can be taken more seriously. 

Archived