Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hope you guys can add some insight,,,,I have family /in laws in Boynton Beach,they refuse to leave. Its about 9 miles from the beach so initially I was not worried about flooding but very concerned about wind damage . BUT then I remembered that they have a few canals nearby that I fish at with the kids when we go ,,these canals are drainage canals that I know empty into the everglades but not sure if they drain into the ocean as well ? Are any of you familiar with these drainage canals in the Boynton Beach Florida area and should I be more concerned with them ? They were specifically built for the overflow from storms and to prevent flooding but if they are in anyway connected to the sea my thinking is that the water will not drain with the surge and the wind going the opposite way, but overflow,,,,,,AM I MISTAKEN to being worried about these ? Also if you lived in Boynton Beach and these canals are not an issue would you ride it out or leave ? Very worried about them they are being stubborn ! Thanks for any answers in advance 

35 minutes ago, weatherboy80 said:

As stated above, increasing chances that I'll be here on the Space Coast in the condo (mainland) I mentioned above.  Don't like being on the eastern right side (that can certainly change), but right now I'm not sure out-of-town in Tampa is that much better of an option considering the drive and the strong possibility of not being able to get back.

both are in good situations.  I wouldn't leave either one 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, otown said:

wood frame lower level apartment built within last handful of years

They are good. No need to leave.  

It's going to be nasty in Orlando but not devastating.  Maybe a gust or two to 100 but this won't be enough there to cause that type of building to compromise if it's how you describe.   

The biggest problem is going to be tree damage disrupting the power grid in Orlando.  It's been over a decade since there has been really extreme winds there.  That tree canopy is going to get thinned out now.  

2 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hope you guys can add some insight,,,,I have family /in laws in Boynton Beach,they refuse to leave. Its about 9 miles from the beach so initially I was not worried about flooding but very concerned about wind damage . BUT then I remembered that they have a few canals nearby that I fish at with the kids when we go ,,these canals are drainage canals that I know empty into the everglades but not sure if they drain into the ocean as well ? Are any of you familiar with these drainage canals in the Boynton Beach Florida area and should I be more concerned with them ? They were specifically built for the overflow from storms and to prevent flooding but if they are in anyway connected to the sea my thinking is that the water will not drain with the surge and the wind going the opposite way, but overflow,,,,,,AM I MISTAKEN to being worried about these ? Also if you lived in Boynton Beach and these canals are not an issue would you ride it out or leave ? Very worried about them they are being stubborn ! Thanks for any answers in advance 

Maybe double check that location.. 9 miles west of the beach is not in Boynton Beach anymore.  Also check the elevation using google earth.

Also if it's not a concrete home I'd be concerned about staying there.  Finally, definitely refer to NWS products regarding evacuations, not just us here.

My Dad is in Naples and won't leave. He is going to ride it out at a friends with a recently built home up to code inland (in Golden Gate if anyone knows where that is). I kind of wish he would leave because this storm is only a wobble away from hitting him head on. 

Also have an uncle who lives right on the water in the Tampa area. Not sure what he's up to yet. Hoping for the OTS scenario, and if not that, selfishly the east coast FL landfall but that's obviously not a good outcome either. 

29 minutes ago, Dcwx said:

My Dad is in Naples and won't leave. He is going to ride it out at a friends with a recently built home up to code inland (in Golden Gate if anyone knows where that is). I kind of wish he would leave because this storm is only a wobble away from hitting him head on. 

Also have an uncle who lives right on the water in the Tampa area. Not sure what he's up to yet. Hoping for the OTS scenario, and if not that, selfishly the east coast FL landfall but that's obviously not a good outcome either. 

The thing is (for your dad), where can he go? Just got off the phone with my brother in Ft. Myers and it took my niece almost 8 hours to get to Tampa. Along the way a lot of the gas stations are out of gas. And it's only going to get worse down there since Lee County starts their mandatory evacs tomorrow morning at 9am. I-75 is going to be a parking lot. If he's inland and it's a new home, he should be ok. They got walloped pretty bad during Andrew but came out relatively unscathed (no injuries/deaths). I have friends down in GG and they're staying put too. Apparently, from what I've read, Collier County isn't even issuing a mandatory evacuation because they realize there's no place for anyone to go. 

As far as your uncle in Tampa; he'll be fine. The only thing I'd worry about is if it goes waaay west into the GOF and then slams into Tampa with the surge. Otherwise, surge is only going to be on the east coast. I've been in Tampa before when storms have gone by (on the east) and the water was actually drained from the bay. 

50 minutes ago, Dcwx said:

My Dad is in Naples and won't leave. He is going to ride it out at a friends with a recently built home up to code inland

Why does he need to leave?  Sounds like he is In a good spot. 

Part of what causes evacuation problems is people who don't need to evacuate clogging up the roads. 

Richmond county GA schools will be closed next week for 3 days so they can accommodate the evacuees from Savannah area. Also gas is starting go, long lines at the pumps. Basic food staples are running low or out, no generators left in this area. Finally people are paying attention. We are hoping for the best scenario out there we can get. Expecting winds and flooding along with power outages. After the ice storm people had no power for 3 to 4 weeks. We are not in a good position here and taking in 5,000 or more evacuees if we get a bad hit.

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

Maybe double check that location.. 9 miles west of the beach is not in Boynton Beach anymore.  Also check the elevation using google earth.

Also if it's not a concrete home I'd be concerned about staying there.  Finally, definitely refer to NWS products regarding evacuations, not just us here.

Bob thanks for the reply they are absolutely in Boynton Beach they are by Jog road and Boynton Beach blvd its between 8 and 9 miles away its concrete but Im sill worried about the roof ,,,they have their shutters . I could NWS but as I said they are stubborn and not leaving . What about the canals that are used for drainage during storms do you guys have any input ,,,do you think they backup ?

1 hour ago, ny10019 said:

The thing is (for your dad), where can he go? Just got off the phone with my brother in Ft. Myers and it took my niece almost 8 hours to get to Tampa. Along the way a lot of the gas stations are out of gas. And it's only going to get worse down there since Lee County starts their mandatory evacs tomorrow morning at 9am. I-75 is going to be a parking lot. If he's inland and it's a new home, he should be ok. They got walloped pretty bad during Andrew but came out relatively unscathed (no injuries/deaths). I have friends down in GG and they're staying put too. Apparently, from what I've read, Collier County isn't even issuing a mandatory evacuation because they realize there's no place for anyone to go. 

As far as your uncle in Tampa; he'll be fine. The only thing I'd worry about is if it goes waaay west into the GOF and then slams into Tampa with the surge. Otherwise, surge is only going to be on the east coast. I've been in Tampa before when storms have gone by (on the east) and the water was actually drained from the bay. 

That's pretty much exactly what he said. I think he will be fine too even if they take a direct eye wall hit. I just told him prepare like a tornado and get in a bathroom or other interior room while the worst of it comes through. Golden Gate has a lot of trees, so I'm more concerned about the debris flying around than anything else. If it hits east of them, I'm confident even his primary residence will make it through with only minor damage. 

Bigger issue is what happens post storm. If they are out of power for an extended period of time and crap is destroyed its a pretty low quality of life for awhile. Seems like a good time for a vacation IMO. 

Uncle north of Tampa has had flooding issues with previous storms and is very susceptible to surge. I imagine they will be out of there with even a remote surge threat. 

5 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Bob thanks for the reply they are absolutely in Boynton Beach they are by Jog road and Boynton Beach blvd its between 8 and 9 miles away its concrete but Im sill worried about the roof ,,,they have their shutters . I could NWS but as I said they are stubborn and not leaving . What about the canals that are used for drainage during storms do you guys have any input ,,,do you think they backup ?

I have seen freshwater flooding in FL drainage, but only on the level of minor damage/inconvenience.  According to the local evacuation maps they are well inland from the areas that would normally evacuate.  It ends to the E. of 95 in Boynton Beach even for a category 5.

pbc_evacuation_map_1439371a1.jpg?w=300

http://maps.co.palm-beach.fl.us/cwgis/?app=evacuation_info

13 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I'm wondering the same thing! I'm in West Palm Beach, 6 miles from coast. I'm in a 2 story concrete house, built before andrew. 4 sets of sliding glass doors with plywood..I think we will be ok. The roof was replaced after Frances/Jean. But...these canals and lakes..I just don't know! I'm surrounded by them! 

All hotels in Augusta, Ga. are booked full, shelters are going to open for the evacuees coming in from Ga coast, schools in Richmond County are closed Monday- Wednesday, Columbia county is opening a shelter. Both counties are preparing not just for the evacuees but for our locals that may be affected, news is reporting heavy rains, potential flooding and power outages for us.

48 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

For anyone leaving or driving north through Tampa on Suncoast, there was already a 1.5 mile back up at 630am at the terminus and junction to 98, and it will probably get exponentially worse through the day.

Too many people that don't need to evacuate are clogging the roads for those that are required to evacuate.

The EOC officials and DOT have done a great job to keep things moving over the last few days.  

Wasn't going to post at all but a bit of a predicament since everything seems to be shifting west. If this track keeps up I'm not sure where to stay. I'm in a mandatory evacuation zone in St. John's county and am definitely leaving. We've got a hotel booked for Sunday - Wednesday in Columbus GA, but with this new track it seems like it's going to be just as bad over there with a possible stall? So it's either Columbus GA or Palm Coast west of 95. I have to cancel the rooms tonight to get my refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived