• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

I posted this in another thread but maybe this is a better spot to get an answer

Can anyone predict the storm surge of Irma and how many feet it will be ? I know that much depends on the track and I understand that with the rotation of the storm that when Irma hits the East side of the storm would get counter clockwise strong winds and then later as Irma continues up Florida to the North the backside of the storm and rotation would now surge on the West and back side of the storm------> do I have that correct ? Also I just watched the weather channel and they showed a chart for the predicted storm surge and they were saying max 6 to 9 foot surges on the West side of Florida and not much for Miami or the East side so Im confused ? A 6 to 9 foot surge would do tremendous damage but I read many pages back where mets on this thread were saying the surge could be 15 feet or higher , would the fact that Irma has been heading this way for days and had time to build up the surge effect the height of it , I would think yes . Does the weather channel have the potential max surge numbers  wrong ?,,,,,,thoughts and answers appreciated . 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RazeNCain said:

Wasn't going to post at all but a bit of a predicament since everything seems to be shifting west. If this track keeps up I'm not sure where to stay. I'm in a mandatory evacuation zone in St. John's county and am definitely leaving. We've got a hotel booked for Sunday - Wednesday in Columbus GA, but with this new track it seems like it's going to be just as bad over there with a possible stall? So it's either Columbus GA or Palm Coast west of 95. I have to cancel the rooms tonight to get my refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you on the St. John's or the coast?  My Aunt is in Vilano Beach. Said she's heading 5 miles South of St.Aug to hunker down at a friend's house. 

Love her, but she's notoriously ditzy....

1 hour ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Too many people that don't need to evacuate are clogging the roads for those that are required to evacuate.

The EOC officials and DOT have done a great job to keep things moving over the last few days.  

Agree mostly but people should do what makes them comfortable.  If they are not in an evac zone but in a marginal structure or have critical needs to maintain power then they should leave.  The grizzled Florida Man thing wins no awards or certificates.

Are you on the St. John's or the coast?  My Aunt is in Vilano Beach. Said she's heading 5 miles South of St.Aug to hunker down at a friend's house. 

Love her, but she's notoriously ditzy....

Near the airport. We had a ton of damage last year.

I'm in evacuation Zone C 2 miles west off the Tolomato River surrounded by large pines and young oaks. Matthew knocked two pines on top of the power lines in my driveway, I would have been stuck home for 3 weeks if I didn't evacuate.

14 minutes ago, RazeNCain said:

Near the airport. We had a ton of damage last year.

I'm in evacuation Zone C 2 miles west off the Tolomato River surrounded by large pines and young oaks. Matthew knocked two pines on top of the power lines in my driveway, I would have been stuck home for 3 weeks if I didn't evacuate.

Ugh.. rock vs. hard place.  Sit in hours of traffic, with stations out of gas. Stay put and hope that Matthew took out the weak trees. Or bug out to a nearby shelter.

What's your gut telling you to do?  Which option might you regret the most, by not taking it?

Ugh.. rock vs. hard place.  Sit in hours of traffic, with stations out of gas. Stay put and hope that Matthew took out the weak trees. Or bug out to a nearby shelter.

What's your gut telling you to do?  Which option might you regret the most, by not taking it?

I think we will be going to my mothers in Palm Coast. I'm scared we go to Georgia and get stranded from gas shortages and possible flooding.

Plus work just announced we have to be here until 6 which makes for a 12 hour shift, not looking forward to driving after that.

Hope everyone here stays safe. I'll continue lurking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think if you're inland by say 7 or more miles, not near a river or large lake, and don't live in a trailer, you'll be OK provided you have a generator with say 15 gallons of gas to keep the fridge cold, and PLENTY of fresh water, and a weeks worth of non-perishable food.  It's not a nuclear explosion, it's a storm.  

Seeking some insight - I'm in Pinellas County, non-evac zone, so I'm boarded up and hunkering down. I've got this WaterBob thing that goes in your bathtub, essentially a 100-gallon bladder. I've only got one bathtub...when would you fill that up? Sunday night? I've also got bottled water but I figure this might be handy. It's my better safe than sorry option. 

4 hours ago, TPAwx said:

Left my home in Hillsborough Zone A at 530am, mandatory evac was declared a few hours ago for Friday 2pm.  Beat the crowd and was able to help pops put up his hurricane shutters.

My daughter just noped out of Zone A in S. Tampa.  Said she saw two houses boarded up.  That's it.

Our concern is growing deeply for my father in law in Port Charlotte. They are on a canal, zone A, obviously. I'm aving a hard time seeing the surge threat if winds are out of the NE, but i see the forecast is now 5-8 feet. He says they are 9-10 feet above the water. Obviously if this trends any more west and the eye stays out over water up to them it's game over...

Just spoke to my grandparents in Tampa. They are very scared and worried now. Roads are too jammed to leave now and are being told to stay put if not already on the road. If Irma indeed goes up the west coast, this may be worse than the east coast because it is too late for everyone to properly evacuate. This is a bad situation

Did someone on this thread mention someone who is unable to evacuate who has a medical condition?  I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but someone has said to call 1-800-955-5504 to get assistance.  

Edited: The phone number that was shared does seem to be legitimate, and Rick Scott shared it.

58 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

Asking for family in PuntaGorda/Charlotte Harbor are of Ft Myers... I'm getting worried about surge for them. They are on canals. Anyone have any estimates on surge heights in that area that I can pass on to get them prepared. Sorry for the sort of frowned upon IMBY post but I thought here would be my best chance for solid info 

To be determined.  You really don't want to see a track that puts those areas in the storm's right front quadrant as it comes onshore. 

You can check at the Charlotte County Evacuation Map here.  https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/services/emergencymgmt/Site Documents/Evacuation-Zones-Charlotte-County.pdf

2 hours ago, hooralph said:

Our concern is growing deeply for my father in law in Port Charlotte. They are on a canal, zone A, obviously. I'm aving a hard time seeing the surge threat if winds are out of the NE, but i see the forecast is now 5-8 feet. He says they are 9-10 feet above the water. Obviously if this trends any more west and the eye stays out over water up to them it's game over...

There are a couple shelters in Port Charlotte opening tomorrow if they can't find better evacuation plans.  Being quite familiar with the geography of the area I'd be really concerned about a system of this strength running up the coast.

Quick question for those of you with more experience.  I live just west of Orlando, beside Magic Kingdom.  1 year old 1 story home, concrete block.  We have a large bathroom with only 1 small 2x2 window.  You think it's necessary to board that up?  I don't plan to board up others as if it's bad we will just go in there.   No large trees in neighborhood.  No trees above 10 ft probably within 50 yes of my house. 

Thanks in advance!  Enjoyed reading and learning a lot on here the past few days.

Great. I've been telling family and friends in the peninsula and on the east coast of GA to evacuate, and now this westward trend. Peninsula family went to other family in FWB on the panhandle. GA friends are leaving in the morning for ATL. I've put both on notice about the westward shift. Anything else to do besides watch this play out?

Google "Crisis Map". Includes evacuation routes, shelters, traffic, gas stations and statuses, radar - bunch of useful info if you're still heading out to safer ground. http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma?hl=en&llbox=35.46%2C11.66%2C-40.38%2C-100.41&t=TERRAIN&layers=3%2C1340721332252%2C30%2C1%2C31%2C32%2C5%2C49%2C15%2C11%2C20%2C12%2Clayer9%2Clayer8

...Storm Surge Warning issued September 9 at 5:53AM EDT by NWS Tampa
Bay Ruskin FL...

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Port Charlotte
- Punta Gorda
- Charlotte harbor

* STORM SURGE
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Life-threatening storm surge possible
- Peak Storm Surge Inundation: The potential for 3-5 feet
above ground somewhere within surge prone areas
- Window of concern: Begins early Sunday afternoon

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: Moderate
- The storm surge threat has remained nearly steady from the
previous assessment.
- Emergency plans should include a reasonable threat for
dangerous storm surge flooding of greater than 3 feet above
ground.
- To be safe, earnestly prepare for the potential of
significant storm surge flooding impacts. Evacuation
efforts should now be brought to completion. Evacuations
must be complete before driving conditions become unsafe.
- Life-threatening inundation is possible. Failure to heed
evacuation orders may result in serious injury or loss of
life. Leave if evacuation orders are given for your area.
Consider voluntary evacuation if recommended. Poor
decisions may needlessly risk lives.

This seems very weakly worded for a major coming up the W. Coast.  Is Charlotte Harbor really expecting just a couple feet of surge?

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived