Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the Space Coast in Melbourne, but on the mainland away from the Intercoastal and the ocean by several miles.  I have two options on the table as I have a sturdy 2003 built condo that has 2 stories made of both concrete block (verified this yesterday) is on the bottom floor and is between units on both sides.  I'm not worried about surge or even inland flooding at this location.  Plus it has a rand new roof. The windows and patio are covered with metal shutters.  Have several days worth of food and water ready to go.  The other option is that I have a hotel booked beginning Sat north of the Tampa airport (well inland again).  My concern is what the Euro just showed that we can't rule out a ride up the entire state so both coasts would be impacted.  Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, weatherboy80 said:

I'm on the Space Coast in Melbourne, but on the mainland away from the Intercoastal and the ocean by several miles.  I have two options on the table as I have a sturdy 2003 built condo that has 2 stories made of both concrete block (verified this yesterday) is on the bottom floor and is between units on both sides.  I'm not worried about surge or even inland flooding at this location.  Plus it has a rand new roof. The windows and patio are covered with metal shutters.  Have several days worth of food and water ready to go.  The other option is that I have a hotel booked beginning Sat north of the Tampa airport (well inland again).  My concern is what the Euro just showed that we can't rule out a ride up the entire state so both coasts would be impacted.  Thoughts?

Based on the info you provided I would shelter in place.  BTW, just to complicate things a bit more, a new roof is also an untested roof.  

Oh yeah, no doubt - thanks.  The condo roof was installed before Matthew which didn't test it too much since he stayed just offshore.  Nice thing about the condo option is that its on the first floor and almost feels like a bunker.  It's actually my in-laws place, but I also have my primary home (buillt in 2001) nearby that had a new shingle roof installed just 2 months ago!  Another one to test, but if I were to stay I'd take my chances at the condo - feels more sturdy to me.

13 minutes ago, weatherboy80 said:

You are solid dude.  No need to go anywhere

18 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

They will be unlocked and allowed to sway in the wind.  Most cranes can withstand winds of 145

All these mph ratings are out the window when they get hit by debris.  Oh, I remembered that we really loved having a battery powered TV to watch news coverage and radar during the worst part of the storm.  Cellular data is likely to get messed up, so it's good to have an alternate.  It's more of a pain now that they got rid of analog tv, but worth it imo.

We evaced to Ireland last weekend. Scheduled to fly back Wed and get home Thurs.  No hardening of the house to be done, unfortunately. Guess that's what insurance is for. 

On spur of the moment I grabbed our important papers" safe and our server and we left it with my parents in Atlanta. Didn't think it would actually be necessary... 

37 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

They will be unlocked and allowed to sway in the wind.  Most cranes can withstand winds of 145

LOL what? You have an engineering degree? I represented a ton of structural engineers, our most common type of case was crane collapses. We have had them collapse in 50 mph winds. 

1 hour ago, NCWX said:

We are.  15 miles southeast ILM and 20 miles from the coast of Oak Island NC.

Carolina canes are lame. Boring

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

All these mph ratings are out the window when they get hit by debris.  Oh, I remembered that we really loved having a battery powered TV to watch news coverage and radar during the worst part of the storm.  Cellular data is likely to get messed up, so it's good to have an alternate.  It's more of a pain now that they got rid of analog tv, but worth it imo.

Verizon is a pretty good provider and I'm optimistic their service will hold.  If it does I'll be able to stream news.  

I wouldn't even know where to find a battery operated tv. 

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

LOL what? You have an engineering degree? I represented a ton of structural engineers, our most common type of case was crane collapses. We have had them collapse in 50 mph winds. 

Some city leaders in WPB mentioned this in their news conference.  

You must have had some ****ty cranes if they could only withstand 50mph winds. 

1 hour ago, ny10019 said:

my family in Cape Coral is. 

I may be flying down tomorrow to join them; along with finding my homeless bro and dropping him off at a shelter.

Now this is what I'm talking about.  

Hope you guys can add some insight,,,,I have family /in laws in Boynton Beach,they refuse to leave. Its about 9 miles from the beach so initially I was not worried about flooding but very concerned about wind damage . BUT then I remembered that they have a few canals nearby that I fish at with the kids when we go ,,these canals are drainage canals that I know empty into the everglades but not sure if they drain into the ocean as well ? Are any of you familiar with these drainage canals in the Boynton Beach Florida area and should I be more concerned with them ? They were specifically built for the overflow from storms and to prevent flooding but if they are in anyway connected to the sea my thinking is that the water will not drain with the surge and the wind going the opposite way, but overflow,,,,,,AM I MISTAKEN to being worried about these ? Also if you lived in Boynton Beach and these canals are not an issue would you ride it out or leave ? Very worried about them they are being stubborn ! Thanks for any answers in advance 

My uncle, his wife, my four young cousins, and grandmother are staying in Plantation. My other uncle is in Hillsboro Beach between Boca and Pompano (first flood on the ocean) is going to Delray but on the western side. He is going to lose everything. 

I'm extremely concerned for them given where they are. I'm begging them to get out. 

I know it's just a run, but this GFS run brought me to tears. I'm so concerned for everyone (family or not) down there. Unbelievable. 

As stated above, increasing chances that I'll be here on the Space Coast in the condo (mainland) I mentioned above.  Don't like being on the eastern right side (that can certainly change), but right now I'm not sure out-of-town in Tampa is that much better of an option considering the drive and the strong possibility of not being able to get back.

As stated above, increasing chances that I'll be here on the Space Coast in the condo (mainland) I mentioned above.  Don't like being on the eastern right side (that can certainly change), but right now I'm not sure out-of-town in Tampa is that much better of an option considering the drive and the strong possibility of not being able to get back.

I feel like you either stay, or you drive and you don't stop driving.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived