Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zabo said:

I work in palm beach at a 7th story hotel on the beach, I have to be there during the storm, I don't belong on this site you guys are way out of my league , what would you do?

What should I look for , my first hurricane.

A safe room towards the center of the building away from glass as low as possible but above where flooding may occur.  Don't forget to park somewhere where you car will still be there when it's over.  Center of a garage well above sea level.  Insist that your employer keep enough food and water for you and everyone else there for an extended time.  Of course there is no guarantee that your location will experience the full power of this storm, so hope for weakening and a track well to your east also.

Just got word a family member is ok in St Thomas. He was in a new development with well built homes. I saw some video. Man impressive stuff. 

I've been to St Thomas/Charlotte Amalie a few times and I did a pass on social media earlier trying to find imagery, struck out. Glad to hear about your family member.

Waiting until the 12z Thursday runs to make my decision.  Incremental West shift of the track and I'm leaving, even if the center remains east of my location.  Not going to roll the dice that the track stops coming West. Will shelter in place as long as winds are projected under 70 mph.  Being on the water and in evac zone A in Hillsborough County, my hand would be forced either way if officials declare a mandatory evacuation.

I've been trying to keep up with the main thread for the past couple hours and I see that theres a general consensus that Irma stays towards the east coast of Florida. Can anyone explain what would have to happen for Irma to swing and hit the west coast/ panhandle, and chances of that happening? Really trying to determine if I should stay in Tallahassee or not.

9 minutes ago, otown said:

I've been trying to keep up with the main thread for the past couple hours and I see that theres a general consensus that Irma stays towards the east coast of Florida. Can anyone explain what would have to happen for Irma to swing and hit the west coast/ panhandle, and chances of that happening? Really trying to determine if I should stay in Tallahassee or not.

There is a trough that will be coming down from the southern US into the Gulf and that will ultimately interact with the Hurricane and direct it towards the north.  The thinking is this will happen before the storm can move into the Gulf.  At this time it looks like you will be okay in Tallahassee.

2 hours ago, bobbutts said:

Don't do it, but if you do get a bunch of action cams and stuff and capture as much as you can.

I know you were through Charley and I respect your opinion on it.  I'm in a good position, well stocked, and know what to expect.  

Wife and kids get out tomorrow.  I'll make sure all my employees are good to go with supplies and deal with the rest.  I expect the police to make the rounds like in Matthew and try to scare us into leaving.  

Im way ahead of the game in terms of prep work.  Going to have a ton of time to kill on Friday and Saturday before things get crazy.  

I'll post pics and videos here on Amwx but only if mods do something about the **** posting in the tropical threads . 

5 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

I know you were through Charley and I respect your opinion on it.  I'm in a good position, well stocked, and know what to expect.  

Wife and kids get out tomorrow.  I'll make sure all my employees are good to go with supplies and deal with the rest.  I expect the police to make the rounds like in Matthew and try to scare us into leaving.  

Im way ahead of the game in terms of prep work.  Going to have a ton of time to kill on Friday and Saturday before things get crazy.  

I'll post pics and videos here on Amwx but only if mods do something about the **** posting in the tropical threads . 

Nope.  We are going to sit here and do nothing like we have been doing since the threads started.

16 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

The worst of Charley for me was having a 9 month old baby.  I'd have at least enjoyed it a bit if it were just me.  Part of me wants to fly down there and be on the beach for this one.

4 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

The worst of Charley for me was having a 9 month old baby.  I'd have at least enjoyed it a bit if it were just me.  Part of me wants to fly down there and be on the beach for this one.

Best decision I made is getting the wife and kids out.

I can handle myself and anything that goes wrong during the storm. 

A heads up for anyone in South Florida (maybe Georgia and Carolina folks want to take note as well)  in evacuation areas or have plans to get the heck away from Irma...  hopefully you won't encounter this but in my area the fuel supply appears to be quickly becoming an issue.   I don't care what Gov Scott has been saying about having plenty of fuel.  I went out at 4:00 am to top off my car and fill a 5-gal with gas for my scooter.  After internet searching and physically scouting a radius of about 5 miles  &  20 ++ gas stations I finally found a station off the beaten path with fuel.   At the stations that were out of gas.. several had lines of cars waiting for fuel trucks or for the business to open.    The first station I went to had cars parked with absentee owners...  yup, they left their cars parked at the pumps to come back and fuel later.    At that same station I spoke to a gentleman who told me he got there at 2:00 am and was waiting for the tanker to arrive, and get this... at best, the fuel truck is not due to arrive till 11:00 am.  I'm sure that man is still there as I write this.   I hope this is a fluke and local issue only.  Pack patience folks, hope you make it to your destination without major problems.  Peace

Given the magnitude of the storm, I'm kind of surprised watches haven't been issued for Miami/etc as of the 5am update.  I know, I know...its not as if people aren't already preparing without the Hurricane Watch, but just an observation of mine when I went to Weather.gov and didn't see the advisories extended to FL.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived