Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Please sorry if this post is in the wrong spot my 95 yo grandmother lives in sunrise in broward county is this area in the mandatory evacuation zone?

Hey, good afternoon. So your grandma is west of Federal Highway, which is the main road (Route 1) that you can hop on to head to Lauderdale Beach or Las Olas Beach. My grandma is literally just north of Sunrise in Tamarac. I will be telling her it is time to go. They are just too close for comfort from Federal Highway and east. Tell them to heed the caution set forth by the local gov't, as Broward County officials have already warned Sheriff Deputies will not be coming residence to residence and knocking on folks doors. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Please sorry if this post is in the wrong spot my 95 yo grandmother lives in sunrise in broward county is this area in the mandatory evacuation zone?

No she is not, the evac zone is from Federal Hwy (US 1) east. This would encompass the cities of S to N Hallandale, Hollywood, Dania, Ft Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, & Deerfield Beach.

2 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

No she is not, the evac zone is from Federal Hwy (US 1) east. This would encompass the cities of S to N Hallandale, Hollywood, Dania, Ft Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano, Lighthouse Point, & Deerfield Beach.

My father in law is in Deerfield Beach. As of now he is not leaving, unless i tell him to. He lives on the 5th floor of a sturdy condo right on the beach, with hurricane windows, so the current track he would be ok. I told him if it moves further west, he should leave, and i will let him know tomorrow morning.

2 minutes ago, Raine1212 said:

We are on the evac route from the coast here, just a small warning we are seeing some gas shortage. so please keep that in mind 

The gas pipeline situation could be the hidden danger here.  It wouldn't take too many vehicles running out of gas to completely block highways.

3 minutes ago, wbsander said:

Han anyone tell me on the latest models the approximate time frame for a potential landfall along the GA/SC border? Thanks in advance.

Afternoon on Monday but it will get bad long before that. 

Of course that is not set in stone. Check out the NHC site for the official forecast. 

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145453.shtml?gm_track#contents

2 hours ago, swamplover56 said:

Is sunrise a town or is your grandmother residing in a Sunrise facility?  Assisted Living and skilled nursing homes have their own protocol for evac orders.

7 minutes ago, NCWX said:

I am wondering about possible impacts for the Wilmington NC area?  I am 10 miles west of ILM, Lucky for us we are at 75 feet above sea level so no flooding here.  But winds concern me.   

Any inputs?

based solely on the last run and where the model shows landfall, you're looking at winds in the approximate 41 mph (sustained range) keep in mind however this could change for the better or worse.  

15 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Is sunrise a town or is your grandmother residing in a Sunrise facility?  Assisted Living and skilled nurtosing homes have their own protocol for evac orders.

Sunrise is a town about 10 miles west of ft lauderdale it's getting close to me buying a plane ticket for tomorrow  early morning boarding her place up and have her come back up here to nj as everyone else in the family is dragging their feet and I don't want her to end up in a shelter by herself

10 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Sunrise is a town about 10 miles west of ft lauderdale it's getting close to me buying a plane ticket for tomorrow  early morning boarding her place up and have her come back up here to nj as everyone else in the family is dragging their feet and I don't want her to end up in a shelter by herself

Good call, just for the fact you don't want them to be alone thru this however the path goes.

If you are in Florida and are considering staying in your home you will need to know of the structural constraints of the building that you are in.  Also know if you are in a flood zone.  While the building codes are tough there are plenty of older homes that might not be able to withstand the hurricane force winds that this storm will bring.  My cousin who resides in Ormond Beach (just north of Tampa) had hurricane straps attached to their roof a few years ago.  With the addition of these straps the roof was rated to withstand winds of 130 MPH.  When Hurricane Matthew passed through their area the winds reached 100 MPH.  All trees and vegetation was damaged or destroyed.  As a matter of fact a contractor working in their neighborhood to remove the destroyed vegetation was killed a few days after the storm when a limb fell on them.  The storm did not do serious damage to their home.  They did go to a shelter because they were in a flood zone.  In any case you need to carefully consider a decision to stay versus going to a hotel or public shelter.

I am attaching a link which describes accounts of people who rode out Hurricane Andrew in south Florida.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/23/159613339/hurricane-andrews-legacy-like-a-bomb-in-florida

8 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I will say, one bright spot is that thanks to Harvey and all the media attention it got, most people will not play around with regards to preparing and evacuating.

It's a double edged sword, though. Folks get hurricane fatigue. If they leave for this one and nothing happened to their house, they feel justified in staying for the next one. Frustrating process, but, witnessed this many times first hand living in New Orleans area for many years. 

11 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I will say, one bright spot is that thanks to Harvey and all the media attention it got, most people will not play around with regards to preparing and evacuating.

I've heard friends who have talked to relatives living Florida saying people they know are gonna refuse to evacuate since "Matthew didn't do anything"

1 minute ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

It's a double edged sword, though. Folks get hurricane fatigue. If they leave for this one and nothing happened to their house, they feel justified in staying for the next one. Frustrating process, but, witnessed this many times first hand living in New Orleans area for many years. 

This is true. I know people who stayed for Sandy because Irene wasn't that bad the year before. That's the problem with the media hyping everything. But in this case and Harvey it's warranted

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

This is true. I know people who stayed for Sandy because Irene wasn't that bad the year before. That's the problem with the media hyping everything. But in this case and Harvey it's warranted

It definitely is, and we know that, but they don't. Especially the folks who have lived there so long and have gone through warning after warning only to have nothing materialize out of it.

15 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

No communication from anybody on the island of Barbuda for over 14 hours now. Prime Minister just hoppped on a helicopter to survey the damage. Afraid of how sad this could be...

"With regard to Barbuda, preliminary reports indicate damage to rooves and to some buildings, but I have had no report of any fatalities."

https://pressroom.oecs.org/hurricane-irma-statement-by-the-hon-gaston-browne-prime-minister-of-antigua-and-barbuda

"With regard to Barbuda, preliminary reports indicate damage to rooves and to some buildings, but I have had no report of any fatalities."

From my research this was made as an assumption because the island he was on (Antigua) that was on the south side of the storm was ok and was a presumptive statement that was made on the most recent report as of 1230 am today based on the last transmission they received. Other than that ground reports regarding what actually happened should be coming back shortly. Since they have been in the dark nobody really knows and he is getting a lot of backlash right now for that statement. A lot of people are very concerned about this situation. 

***update***

pretty scary/sad

IMG_1121.PNG

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived