Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too just joined this forum, thank you for letting me in. 

i have a friend in Naples and more friends in Ft. Myers, so I am watching this storm very carefully. Because the Florida peninsula is fairly narrow, and right now there is still a lot of variation in the projected runs, it would be difficult to know where to evacuate to in order to avoid life threatening weather conditions. I especially feel badly for people in the Keys and at the southern tip of FL. Getting out of harms way will be a very long drive for them no matter what.

I have family in Kissimmee and a friend who lives in Lake Worth which is just south of West Palm Beach.

Worried about both of them. My cousin in Kissimmee has already booked a motel (don't know where, but im guessing somewhere in Orlando), but wondering if she should have gone farther north.

As for the friend in Lake Worth, he's a long haul trucker, but his wife is home. I fear they will take a good beating from this. Dont know what her plans are.

Another new member, in St.Pete. I'm in one of those pockets that is no evac, no storm surge, and local meteorologists are saying people like me should stay put, but that feels hard to do. I just want to load up my dog and head somewhere. Getting to the center of the state won't help with the wind threat, so I feel like I'd have to hit Georgia or Alabama to get clear. So stressful. Anyway, thanks for all the helpful posts and info. Stay safe everyone. 

First to feel the wrath of Irma will be the small nation of Antigua and Barbuda. This nation has a total population of 92k and of that, all but 1,638 on Barbuda live on Antigua, and in the case of Barbuda, almost all of that small population reside in a small town of Codrington on the west coast of the small island. Fortunately the harbor for this small town is largely protected by reefs and this may somewhat reduce the size of storm surges. 

Antigua's capital, St Johns, is on the northwest corner of that island and its harbor is open to the west through northwest.

Irma looks likely to go almost directly over Barbuda around 06z to 09z, exposing Antigua (to the south) to either the southern eyewall or very strong westerly winds in the circulation. Damage is likely to be extensive if not catastrophic. 

Barbuda is basically a flat and largely treeless island while Antigua has more hilly terrain and forested areas.

As the nation is a member of the British Commonwealth, it's likely that relief and assistance will come rapidly after the storm passes from a number of other members including Jamaica, nearby St Kitts and Nevis, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, and also Canada and the United Kingdom. 

I made the rookie mistake of posting in the Irma thread and selecting "notify me of replies". RIP Inbox. :(

So I happened to stumble across this thread... had no idea it had been started.. didnt receive a warning or anything... but.. anyway...

I have a concern since we are now out 12 hours or so... I have a cousin on Water Island. That is a tiny island just on the south side of St Thomas. She is very prepared. They spent the last few days covering all the windows and doors with corrugated sheetmetal.... and making other preparations... I saw on the main Irma thread that it may be wobbling to the north a bit. Any word from the SMEs of the board? Any chance the eye skirts by to the north? how much of a northern wobble can we expect? Her family and I are concerned, as expected. 

On a plus side, they have a ham radio operator in their midst and hopefully I can communicate with them tomorrow afternoon/night after it passes.... assuming his antennas survive the wind.

2 minutes ago, PressureDrop2017 said:

"Certainly not looking good for Barbuda, as the eyewall is almost upon Barbuda... we have breaking news that Barbuda is currently experiencing hurricane-force winds... At the very least Category-One winds"

Public power grids being turned off by the utilities company

It's tiny and almost all smaller buildings.  Doesn't look like a good place to ride out a storm of this strength.  At least the main town is mostly 20' asl or above (per google earth) and located in a position less likely to get the worst surge.  Even if they're able to avoid flooding, the wind damage is likely to be devastating.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/aerial-view-of-buildings-in-codrington-barbuda-stock-video-footage/640165997

didn't find many pics, but these guys have aerial shots.

Found these docs, latest water level reading at the Barbuda station is 1.608m above MLLW. The first document describes 1.5m-3.0m as 'high' - light green in the image below. Portions of Codrington are within this category but most of it seems to be in the 'no vulnerability' category

http://www.oas.org/pgdm/document/abvulnas/abvuln2.doc

http://www.oas.org/pgdm/document/abvulnas/abvuln7.doc

9qMoG5k.png

5g7IIXf.png

A coworker's cousin recently arrived in the US (Florida Keys) for an internship and is being bused to a shelter in Dade County. 

Given that Miami has a good chance of experiencing some of the worst if Irma, my coworker (in Delaware) is trying to help his cousin get away from Miami, but apparently all of the buses out of Miami are sold out.

Does anyone have any specific advice on how, where he can move to a safer place?

32 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Its ****ing crazy out there before the storm.  People are starting to panic over not being able to get water.  People need to chill the **** out.

Bottled water is convenient, but...  Just buy a couple trashcans and fill those up along with whatever containers can be found.  Another option is to amazon prime next day as much water as you want.  Yeah, it will cost a buck per bottle, but it's available.

41 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Bottled water is convenient, but...  Just buy a couple trashcans and fill those up along with whatever containers can be found.  Another option is to amazon prime next day as much water as you want.  Yeah, it will cost a buck per bottle, but it's available.

During hurricanes when we lived in Fort Lauderdale, My parents always filled up any container they could find, all of the sinks and the tubs and we drank that water. We're still alive.

1 minute ago, swamplover56 said:

Please sorry if this post is in the wrong spot my 95 yo grandmother lives in sunrise in broward county is this area in the mandatory evacuation zone?

Even if it's not, you're better off leaving at this point. Pretty much all models run this hurricane along the coast. Another 24 hours for any possible changes in movement in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, NicInNC said:

During hurricanes when we lived in Fort Lauderdale, My parents always filled up any container they could find, all of the sinks and the tubs and we drank that water. We're still alive.

Yup, also it's a good idea to have enough water to refill the toilet tank after a flush.  You can use the less sanitary water storage for that.

My little sister is preggo living in the cape coral area . She keeps calling me asking me if she should leave or not . I know it looks more of a southern east coast hit but should I tell her to go or just stay ... I told her to wait for me to call after 2nights runs of the euro And gfs ... what do you guys think m. Should she just leave now .... 

6 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Please sorry if this post is in the wrong spot my 95 yo grandmother lives in sunrise in broward county is this area in the mandatory evacuation zone?

Depends on where she lives. Mandatory Evacuation zone is east of US 1. However, even well west of there ... there may be substantial power outages for days. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived