Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ryan Maue has resigned from Weatherbell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

That doesn't speak well of Weatherbell. Moreover, Maue could have greater incentive to make his maps available at no cost, which could adversely impact Weatherbell.

Agreed, my opinion of Weatherbell has gone way down. My opinion is that Maue generated a lot of word of mouth, traffic , revenue and value to Weatherbell . To me he was a huge asset .    

14 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

You need to take what he says with a grain of salt.  He has a temper and works for the Cato Institute so he's groomed to exaggerate and distort the truth.

There's a lot more money for the Ryan maue's of the world to be made in conservative climate change denial, than producing weather maps. That being said maue prides himself on his intellectualism and I get the sense he feels intellectually superior to a clownish Hannity loving showman like the self described big Joe bastardi.

7 minutes ago, HarveyLeonardFan said:

There's a lot more money for the Ryan maue's of the world to be made in conservative climate change denial, than producing weather maps. That being said maue prides himself on his intellectualism and I get the sense he feels intellectually superior to a clownish Hannity loving showman like the self described big Joe bastardi.

Well for a man of supposed intellect he should know that anything you develop for a company belongs to them, not you.  Whining about being blocked from access once he was let go is just a snowflake move. 

I have never meet Maue but being from Michigan know the area of the state he came from is rather conservative.  He also attended the University of Michigan a  difficult place to get into.  Judging from my son's high school graduating class pretty much a 4  point to get your application through the door ( sports exceptions)  You may disagree with his politics, but I suspect his intellect is fine, and whats wrong with changing jobs for more money  

2 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

This thread just needs to be deleted. Ryan Maue doesn't need the spotlight, his intentions are ill-concieved and he is mentally ill.

Talk about ill-conceived intentions, this post is a disgrace. Baselessly diagnosing someone with mental illness because you disapprove of his snow algorithms should be bannable.

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Talk about ill-conceived intentions, this post is a disgrace. Baselessly diagnosing someone with mental illness because you disapprove of his snow algorithms should be bannable.

Bro, that is not the reason at all. Seems like a big shot across the bow for no reason. People will always defend the most voiceferous for no reason.

1 minute ago, Vice-Regent said:

Bro, that is not the reason at all. Seems like a big shot across the bow for no reason. People will always defend the most voiceferous for no reason.

If that wasn't it, then what were your grounds for declaring the man mentally ill? Which disorder(s) do you believe him to have? I disagree with Maue on just about everything from AGW to presidential politics, but that doesn't excuse unsubstantiated claims about an absent party.

Living in the internet bubble is really hurting the sensibilities of some of you guys. In the real world we don't have the option of appealing to a moderator asking him to click the delete button. As for maue, he's sought the limelight via the nexus of politics and weather. He knows politics ain't beanbag.

On 9/27/2017 at 11:55 PM, yoda said:

I guess this means no more WxBell?  Or something...

No it means no more Maue at W/B. Every map you see at W/B is the intellectual property of W/B.

Those maps stay and W/B is unaffected. As someone who was involved in Ryan's interview process when Ryan left the JPL I can tell you he comes accross as a very difficult non team guy.

And I am telling you that didn't change once he joined the team. Mike Barak is committed to cultivating an entire team concept , cleaning up some of not so great stuff that they had to deal with during his tenure.

That said everyone wishes him well , but Mike Barak has hired two of the very best to implement his quest for unmatched innovation.

Brock and Tony are the next wave of superstars that are tasked to help take this company to the next level.

Barak and his team continue to refine their brand in a very competitive space but content wise they are on solid footing with tremendous upside , those maps stay and along with  W/B s commercial site these guys are as strong as ever.

2 hours ago, PB GFI said:

No it means no more Maue at W/B. Every map you see at W/B is the intellectual property of W/B.

Those maps stay and W/B is unaffected. As someone who was involved in Ryan's interview process when Ryan left the JPL I can tell you he comes accross as a very difficult non team guy.

And I am telling you that didn't change once he joined the team. Mike Barak is committed to cultivating an entire team concept , cleaning up some of not so great stuff that they had to deal with during his tenure.

That said everyone wishes him well , but Mike Barak has hired two of the very best to implement his quest for unmatched innovation.

Brock and Tony are the next wave of superstars that are tasked to help take this company to the next level.

Barak and his team continue to refine their brand in a very competitive space but content wise they are on solid footing with tremendous upside , those maps stay and along with  W/B s commercial site these guys are as strong as ever.

Thank you for the informative post. Your private assessment of Ryan seems to be consistent with his public persona.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:24 PM, frd said:

Agreed, my opinion of Weatherbell has gone way down. My opinion is that Maue generated a lot of word of mouth, traffic , revenue and value to Weatherbell . To me he was a huge asset .    

WB tried hard to bring Dr Maue to stardom. They even gave him a column to write his thoughts. Sadly he did not do so more than a couple of times.

More important, at least imho, the novice user was left behind. There was never an effort to provide an introductory tutorial which would have highlighted the resources offered and Dr Maue's insights.

It seems a missed opportunity, one which his new employer will hopefully act to exploit.

35 minutes ago, cmasty1978 said:

he's a super smart climate denier, which makes him evil.

He is indeed smart but he has a weak voice and because of this he'll never have a successful career on television. Right wing think tanks exist to book their so called scholars on Fox news and have their pieces published in national review. But the key is to get booked on cable television and if the producers like you they'll give you a contract.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, cmasty1978 said:

he's a super smart climate denier, which makes him evil.

That seems a mistaken appraisal. 

It surely does not help his professional standing to be labeled a denier, given that academia and the governmental bodies appear committed to the climate change thesis.

You call the man super smart, perhaps he is just being stubbornly honest saying that he is not convinced.

21 hours ago, etudiant said:

It surely does not help his professional standing to be labeled a denier, given that academia and the governmental bodies appear committed to the climate change thesis.

You call the man super smart, perhaps he is just being stubbornly honest saying that he is not convinced.

lol.  ok.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:50 PM, etudiant said:

We're literally watch the Arctic sea ice and glaciers melt away, with incredible record-breaking warmth year after year across most of the globe, and you want to go on some denialist bull**** about the gubmint conspiracy? Get the **** out of here with your apologism. We don't need it. We need action.

Maue isn't a climate denier though. He worked with one (Bastardi)...but Maue spends a lot of time debunking some of the hysteria over hurricanes and climate change which does make a lot of climate alarmists angry and sticks him with the denier tag. 

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maue isn't a climate denier though. He worked with one (Bastardi)...but Maue spends a lot of time debunking some of the hysteria over hurricanes and climate change which does make a lot of climate alarmists angry and sticks him with the denier tag. 

If he's going to work for the Cato Institution, he's a denier, or is otherwise enabling them and that movement.

16 hours ago, binovc said:

If the humane race is causing all this global warming, why worry about Maue says.  The better answer would be to curb population growth. A lot of problems would diminish with that.  Of coarse mother nature might do that for us with a simple microbe.

Well sure, but that's such a throw up your hands answer when we could actually, I dunno, reduce emissions and spend money on sequestration technologies and green energy solutions. Think of all the jobs and projects that could come from that, instead of trying to prop up industries that are going to die anyway (fossil fuels). Really sad that we have obvious, good answers and people are so easily swindled by the denial industry that this obvious answer is considered "radical".

1 hour ago, CaWx said:

His free Euro maps are awesome, that alone will destroy wxbell. 

Perhaps so, but I'd guess that the main revenue source for these sites are commercial entities trying to get an advance warning of potentially disruptive weather.

Those customers don't care so much about free maps.

In general, wxbell has not pursued weather enthusiasts' business particularly avidly, rather the opposite. When the comments pages got too popular, they were restructured to calm down the postings back to a desultory level.

Archived