• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

I was just looking at the GOES 16 sat. of Nate and this large system way out in the South/East Atlantic caught my eye.  NHC doesn't have the area as even possible development.  Large system, looks like some mid level rotation.  Kind of has that "look"?

Thoughts?

59d66bfa9a774_Oct5.thumb.jpg.0335260e4c1d3ba77c110923559e992a.jpg

We're going to have a few more deep MDR/CV systems. It probably will get invested by 8PM EDT.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
21 minutes ago, stormtracker said:
No no..im flying into CUN..I'd get there at 11am.  Then driving down to Tulum, you're correct.  Last time I did that, I was on the beach in Tulum by 1pm

Ugh... I don't know, man. Southern quadrant may still be close and possibility intense convective banding over Cancun even if the small vortex is north of the coast. You're really playing it close here. Ah well, hope for the best. Perhaps at worst you just get delayed a bit.

I'm talking tomorrow, not Saturday.   Are you talking about tomorrow?

At any rate, United just issued the advisory.  No change fees, etc.   Problem is, there are no more non stops going out tonight.   Even if I left tonight at 10, got a layover in Housto n from midnight to 7am...and I wouldn't get into CUN until 9:40am.  I mean that's an hour and a half earlier than my current flight and hell...every hour counts.  Not sure what I should do.

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

NO, Saturday. Dear lord, I'm sorry. I'm sucking at multitasking today. Well tomorrow 11 AM, you should be in good shape.

Edit.............. ..... ... . .

Ha..yeah, I get in tomorrow at 11am on my current flight.   I'm wondering if I should just take the chance and leave tonight just to get there an hour and a half earlier.   

If you're committed to go there, then leave tonight. It should allow you to avoid limbo at some airport.

At worst then, you'll have an horrific honeymoon, with flooding and no power, which still beats being stuck at Houston International.

26 minutes ago, etudiant said:

If you're committed to go there, then leave tonight. It should allow you to avoid limbo at some airport.

At worst then, you'll have an horrific honeymoon, with flooding and no power, which still beats being stuck at Houston International.

It's not my honeymoon..don't wish that on me!!!  :lol:  Just going down with some friends.    We tried to go tonight...DC to IAH was fine..plenty of seats...IAH to CUN was full :(   So stuck at the mercy of United and Nate.  From everything I'm seeing, the winds, etc don't get to CUN until like 8pm...but we'll see.

Please tell me I'm not seeing the contrail of a recon flight zipping across the eye of Maria in this loop, so I can stop thinking that's what it is:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=loop_of_the_day/goes-16/20170921000000&number_of_images_to_display=200&loop_speed_ms=50

You're not seeing a contrail. You're seeing high canopy cirrus gyre above 300 mb spinning and pulling around. That is left over layer from the old eyewall convection remnants and upper level spillover from the new eyewall. We see that a lot when a new eye is clearing out or interacting with 200 mb shear.

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Why does every tropical storm thread have to turn into an argument about who is right and wrong on intensity?

I don't blame mods, btw, I blame the posters that have to act like they are 10 years old.

because there are a core of people...like SN_lover...who have been terrible for years but refuse to shut up

• 2 weeks later...

Archived