Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Honestly can you stop making these posts, and just let the mods handle it? The forecast of Maria is highly dependent on what Jose does/is doing. 

hi, thanks for the post. But here's the thing, I'm helping out the mods.. so... yeah. 

57 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

I really hope the season quiets down soon. We don't need any more names to get retired (I am assuming Harvey, Irma & Maria are gone). Plus the Caribbean has taken an extreme amount of puishment :(

I wouldn't hold my breath on this, end of October is when things quickly ramp down.

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

just tried it so I don't know how some are able to post while patting themselves on the back.  

one hand on the keyboard, one hand on the back (or elsewhere)..... people like that are used to clapping with one hand, so it's like second nature to them.

53 minutes ago, H2O said:

just tried it so I don't know how some are able to post while patting themselves on the back.  

This by far is the most annoying thing in the threads, whether it is Harvey, Irma, or Maria. 

No one cares that you, as an amateur, guessed what would happen and got lucky.

17 minutes ago, HarveyLeonardFan said:

Do you recall the official tracks at 24-48 hours in Gloria and Bob?  If I'm not mistaken Bob tracked slightly farther east but I don't believe significantly so.  I gusted up to 100 with a half inch of rain or less in Bob, and barely 75-80 in Gloria with a trace of rain.  There hasn't been anything comparable in SE New England tropics wise since Bob.  

WBZ 4 Boston Met Bruce Schwoegler was forecasting wind gusts to 200 MPH in advance of Gloria.

Heh, Schwoegler once forecast 20-30" of snow for me and I got 0". 

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Want to know a quick way to get your account suspended? Post your off-topic arguments to a moderator about off-topic posts being deleted in the same thread.

He did take it too far, but it would have been nice to see the other posts moved here (minus the argument stuff of course.)  Perhaps we should have two banter threads, one for inane joking around silly stuff and the other one for people who want to reminisce about past storms.  There are some very useful lessons to learn from past storms and their behavior.  Because of having been through Gloria and a few other similar storms, I'll never expect a major hurricane to hit this region and will be extremely suspicious of any model that shows such a hit.

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

He did take it too far, but it would have been nice to see the other posts moved here (minus the argument stuff of course.)  

It takes a lot more time to move a post than to delete one. The solution is to put them in the right thread in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Feel free to reminisce about past storms in here.  I love talking about this stuff. 

Same with winter stuff too :P

PD2 reminded me a bit of Gloria, in a strange way.  Both affected the south shore much more, and both were preceded by smaller storms just a few days before that we barely remember.  I don't remember Henri at all (would like it if someone posted a track or precip map of that storm here) but I also remember we had a 9" snow event just before PD2 that I don't remember well (don't even know if I have the snowfall amount right.)

It's crazy that all homes in the Caribbean aren't made out of block. How is it possible that people live in wooden houses with tin roofs in 2017? It's mind boggling. I understand the economic factor, but it's still astounding that these people are just sitting ducks. 

Florida has done a great job since Andrew. My father returned home today to his house in Naples and other than a destroyed lanai and minor cosmetic roof damage, his house was fine. All of his trees were down, but the house itself fared fine. 

If irma hit my wood frame house on LI I'm not sure what would happen. I assume the walls would hold up, but I can't see the roof staying on in 140 mph wind gusts. 

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Same with winter stuff too :P

PD2 reminded me a bit of Gloria, in a strange way.  Both affected the south shore much more, and both were preceded by smaller storms just a few days before that we barely remember.  I don't remember Henri at all (would like it if someone posted a track or precip map of that storm here) but I also remember we had a 9" snow event just before PD2 that I don't remember well (don't even know if I have the snowfall amount right.)

I watched a YouTube clip from channel 7 news the night before gloria hit and they had no idea if she was going to go inland or hit LI. They also made no mention of how strong the winds would be just that there was a hurricane warning. This was just 12 hours before the worst of the storm. It's amazing how precise the models are now in comparison

19 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It's crazy that all homes in the Caribbean aren't made out of block. How is it possible that people live in wooden houses with tin roofs in 2017? It's mind boggling. I understand the economic factor, but it's still astounding that these people are just sitting ducks. 

Florida has done a great job since Andrew. My father returned home today to his house in Naples and other than a destroyed lanai and minor cosmetic roof damage, his house was fine. All of his trees were down, but the house itself fared fine. 

If irma hit my wood frame house on LI I'm not sure what would happen. I assume the walls would hold up, but I can't see the roof staying on in 140 mph wind gusts. 

Just be glad we have one of the most stable climates in the entire country (possibly the world).  We don't get much severe weather (tornadoes could do as much damage as a major hurricane, just over a smaller area), we don't get droughts, we don't get direct hits from major hurricanes.  Pretty much the only extreme weather to be expected around here is the occasional big snowstorm.

18 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I watched a YouTube clip from channel 7 news the night before gloria hit and they had no idea if she was going to go inland or hit LI. They also made no mention of how strong the winds would be just that there was a hurricane warning. This was just 12 hours before the worst of the storm. It's amazing how precise the models are now in comparison

And intensity is even harder to forecast than track (it still is.)

That entire time period is chock full of forecast busts (mostly on the winter side though, both positive and negative busts- positive busts Jan 1978, PD1, negative busts- Feb 1989, Dec 1989, March 2001, Jan 2008, etc., as you can see the negative list is far longer lol)

Also no internet back then, so we had to rely on what local meteorologists were telling us and no model watching (which is half the fun.)

Its a closed wall on recon at 38 nm.  U really need to stop.  

Let it go. Not worth discussing with someone not willing to learn. He has been told that it is indeed an eye, bluewave posted words from NHC themselves, and yet he still doesn't want to accept it. 

I'm sorry for adding to it, should have just let it go. 

49 minutes ago, mappy said:

Let it go. Not worth discussing with someone not willing to learn. He has been told that it is indeed an eye, bluewave posted words from NHC themselves, and yet he still doesn't want to accept it. 

I'm sorry for adding to it, should have just let it go. 

I'm sorry for attempting to have a scientific discussion. It can indeed be a closed eye, however you can clearly see that it's contracting on the infrared loop into a more traditional eye. In other words, I think Maria is still in the process of repairing her inner core. If people want to disagree, they are certainly welcome to. You have a very quick trigger finger.

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm sorry for attempting to have a scientific discussion. It can indeed be a closed eye, however you can clearly see that it's contracting on the infrared loop into a more traditional eye. In other words, I think Maria is still in the process of repairing her inner core. If people want to disagree, they are certainly welcome to. You have a very quick trigger finger.

No. You said straight up said it wasn't an eye. You were corrected, then changed your tune to make it sound like you knew wtf you were talking about.

By all means, argue until you feel validated. You're just wasting your 5-posts. 

Also, I didn't pull any trigger. 

30 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Theres been no contraction lol. 

Yep- there's an eye and it's about 45 miles wide, so it expanded after its interaction with PR and re-emergence back out over the water.  I didn't know that any of this was in dispute lol.  It's still a major (or rather back up to Cat 3 after going down to Cat 2) but definitely not what it once was.  The hurricane has expanded in size though, so conservation of momentum has been maintained, but don't know if it'll matter much since the path of the storm has now been adjusted to the east so sustained hurricane force winds may not be felt in any inhabited areas (not even the Bahamas or DR.)

Archived