• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

Way too chattery to say in the main thread, but I have to say somewhere -- wouldn't you think that TWC could cough up the dough to get their reporters microphones with some kind of waterproofing? And send them out with more than one single wireless mike? (Though it was entertaining to watch Cantore and team wind the wire around the column of the building there.) :) 

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure no forecaster is feeling humbled by intensity forecasts like people are saying they should in the main thread. A Cat 4 keys hit and Cat 3 peninsula hit is not way off, nor is it beyond the scope of Katrina and Rita landfall forecasts, for example. This is just not a narrative for anyone except for frustrated weather fanatics who wanted a stronger storm.

What a night.  The back end of Irma was surprisingly strong.  Those south winds were ripping through the night.  Winds didn't start to subside until close to 6am.  

Probably had 10-12 hours of hurricane force wind gusts here.  Many reports of 85mph + winds here with even a report of 99 up on the Treasure Coast in St Lucie.  

I was surprised at the length and intensity of the storm being so far away from the center.  The best comparison I can make is Jeanne in 2004 which pounded the area for over 12 hours.  

Damage is surprisingly light for the type of winds and duration that we had.  

Worst I have seen in my neighborhood is a busted out glass door from where another homeowners fence panel blew through .  

57 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

What a night.  The back end of Irma was surprisingly strong.  Those south winds were ripping through the night.  Winds didn't start to subside until close to 6am.  

Probably had 10-12 hours of hurricane force wind gusts here.  Many reports of 85mph + winds here with even a report of 99 up on the Treasure Coast in St Lucie.  

I was surprised at the length and intensity of the storm being so far away from the center.  The best comparison I can make is Jeanne in 2004 which pounded the area for over 12 hours.  

Damage is surprisingly light for the type of winds and duration that we had.  

Worst I have seen in my neighborhood is a busted out glass door from where another homeowners fence panel blew through .  

It's all about the building codes and vegetation type. Up here with sandy in similar winds the tree damage was incredible 

33 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

But even in Jeanne with very similar winds there was significantly more damage.  

That's pretty wild then. I have no idea what caused the difference. Other then to think Jeanne brought down any truly old weak trees. But that was a really long time ago in reference to vegetation. Must have been the wind direction. That's part of the reason for the extreme tree damage we had on Long Island. The strongest winds during sandy where ESE and our strongest winds normally are NE

I feel very bad for all of the folks who were flooded by Irma. I hope they are all safe.

With that said, I am really bummed by that HUGE, BROBDINGNAGIAN BLOB of fresh rain that is going the wrong way right now.

All that rain. It is really kicking some serious, serious ass in and of itself - even without the winds and tornadoes.

I will be extremely lucky if I even get tossed a scrap or two of that rainfall. Irma IS teasing me big-time with her thick cirrostratus shield, though.

3 hours ago, Jtm12180 said:

If Jose sticks around, but continues to fall apart like he has been, would Maria still get turned out to sea more than likely, or if Jose gets weak enough, would the high over the Atlantic shift back West and turn Maria toward the U.S.?

Pretty awesome pattern for Florida/GOM trajectory. I still think it turns WNW at some point. Upper latitude tropical systems are overweighted by models at this range and before

f132.gif

Archived