Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

I feel like several million in SE. FL are going to be less willing to listen to the most dire warnings next time.  No good solution when you have to give a forecast at a lead time prone to significant error.

Yeah, that is a real possibility unless this shifts quite a bit east.  Wouldn't have to evacuate so early if that part of Florida wasn't so populated.

I refuse to downplay any threat until the event is over but I will say the following with regards to any future life-threatening events not impacting your community as forecast:

Floridians pay a price for living in a beautiful sub tropical climate and environment near to coastline that is prone to intense hurricane landfalls. If their inconveniences keep a massive loss of life from occurring, too bad. Be thankful your property was not damaged and stop bitching about government officials and meteorologists that are doing their best to put public safety first. Disruption, aggravation and financial loss from an event that doesn't pan out versus experiencing overwhelming loss of life to an event that does pan out is not an exact science and is the reality of living in an evacuation zone. If you cannot live with the uncertainties involved, you're living in the wrong state. I suggest you find another geographic location to reside that doesn't include those risks.

I actually think that adults who live in evacuation prone areas on coastlines should be required by law to have an emergency or contingency fund for mandatory evacuations. Higher amounts if you have dependants. This should be like insurance to help offset the cost of temporary relocation and financial loss when normal insured avenues do not apply such as: You having to evacuate is a financial burden in money spent and time lost in wages regardless of insured property loss. This would mitigate not receiving government financial relief when your community is spared. Perhaps it can be subsidized or businesses can start including it in salary. Just a suggestion.

That is all.

2 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

It's pathetic the sensationalists out there. "seeing" eye move North last night. This is not going to make landfall as a Category 5 or "high end" 4 and you can quote me on that for when landfall comes. Might even be a 2 or 3 from the rate of degradation. 

Lol. I have a feeling this might be a good post to bump later.

Didn't you say you are a licensed met?

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Might not have to wait long. Recon will probably give a pretty clear picture soon.

I seem to remember you saying harvey was being torn apart right before it went from an 80mph storm to cat 3 lol.

I'm seeing the feed also. Please find that quote. Thanks. I love witch hunts :rolleyes:

Just now, bobbutts said:

Port Charlotte loses again.  That 144 is my old 'hood.

A good friend of mine lives there. They evacuated, but he seems pretty confident his house will be OK since it's rated to 120 mph, or something. I'm not so sure now (besides that ignores projectile damage). It's at 9 ft. so surge could be close too.

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

A good friend of mine lives there. They evacuated, but he seems pretty confident his house will be OK since it's rated to 120 mph, or something. I'm not so sure now (besides that ignores projectile damage). It's at 9 ft. so surge could be close too.

Yeah, it's a craps shoot with the projectiles.  I did pretty much fine in Charley and many of my neighbors had partial roof and wall failures because they got hit by large debris and falling trees.  They have bumped up the storm surge numbers on the most recent statement.

1231 PM EDT SAT SEP 9 2017

...Storm Surge Warning issued September 9 at 12:30PM EDT by NWS Tampa
Bay Ruskin FL...

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Port Charlotte
- Punta Gorda
- Charlotte harbor

* STORM SURGE
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Life-threatening storm surge possible
- Peak Storm Surge Inundation: The potential for 6-10 feet
above ground somewhere within surge prone areas
- Window of concern: early Sunday afternoon until early
Tuesday morning

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Tough call.   Flying there tomorrow and back Tuesday night might be ok but chaos may prevail in air travel.

Would your presence there

-tax the overloaded infrastructure, hotels and airlines getting constant messages from worried people?

-help people supposing anyone there needed your healing skills?

Just now, winterymix said:

Would your presence there

-tax the overloaded infrastructure, hotels and airlines getting constant messages from worried people?

-help people supposing anyone there needed your healing skills?

I think this is overthinking.   I'm there for a meeting of other SMEs.   Hotel has been booked for 2 weeks.  

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think this is overthinking.   I'm there for a meeting of other SMEs.   Hotel has been booked for 2 weeks.  

This article says come on down.

http://www.ajc.com/weather/evacuating-atlanta-for-hurricane-irma-here-are-things-know-about-the-city/w9As4IkrUWs570bboxrxYK/

Waffle House is non-negotiable.

1 hour ago, mfgmfg said:

Whole lotta potential darwin award recipients on this stream - rewind a bit to see how many people there have been

Idiots.  Just saw a lady run away from a huge wave crashing over the wall.  Worst part is these are the people that will put first responders in harms way when they need to get rescued after foolishly staying put.  

17 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Idiots.  Just saw a lady run away from a huge wave crashing over the wall.  Worst part is these are the people that will put first responders in harms way when they need to get rescued after foolishly staying put.  

The best part is that it's categorized as "Comedy" on YouTube.

Archived