Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, swataz said:

With all due respect to the members of AmericanWx, to see some in other forums actively "rooting" for it to intensify and not get shredded to hell is disturbing.

Yes, I understand the meteorological excitement surrounding the storm, but the human cost and cost to our nation will be very high if Irma gets her act together in the straits. It just boggles my mind.

Personally, I'm not one of the people rooting for it to strengthen.  I know people in Jacksonville, Punta Gorda, and the Tampa area and I would love to see Irma weaken.  That being said, it annoys me when people proclaim that this is going to be a letdown, nothingburger, ho-hum event based on track movement from east to west, what the satellite looks like right now, etc.

2 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I feel like several million in SE. FL are going to be less willing to listen to the most dire warnings next time.  No good solution when you have to give a forecast at a lead time prone to significant error.

I think that's unfortunately true.  They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Just now, SN_Lover said:

It's pathetic the sensationalists out there. "seeing" eye move North last night. This is not going to make landfall as a Category 5 or "high end" 4 and you can quote me on that for when landfall comes. Might even be a 2 or 3 from the rate of degradation. 

people see what they want to see. as for the rest of your post...lol.  you very well could be right about it not strengthening, but the arrogance with which you announce it is pretty astounding.

Just now, cmasty1978 said:

people see what they want to see. as for the rest of your post...lol.  you very well could be right about it not strengthening, but the arrogance with which you announce it is pretty astounding.

You tell me a hurricane that strengthened windspeed's in 30kt+ shear. 

Some people stayed in the mandatory evacuation zones for Ike, but most left, in spite of the Rita ordeal. I actually think most people give the NHC leeway for not nailing down the landfall spot 72-hrs ahead of time. It's still generally a well respected body, and they've gotten better and better at communicating uncertainty and the limits of forecasting. Obviously some will not listen next time but those people probably overlap with people who don't trust institutions to begin with. 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/09/080926-hurricane-ike-evacuation.html

31 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

It's pathetic the sensationalists out there. "seeing" eye move North last night. This is not going to make landfall as a Category 5 or "high end" 4 and you can quote me on that for when landfall comes. Might even be a 2 or 3 from the rate of degradation. 

Says the guy who thinks 5 million people live below sea level in Miami.

Archived