Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afraid to post it in the main thread due to being told they are crappy models BUT the UKMET has had this western idea and Cuba LF for a while leading up to today and........the CRAS (of all models) has actually led the way and outperformed the UKMET in terms of being the farthest S and W model most of the duration of Irma and has not waivered. 

Everywhere I look I see outlets and people exclaim this hurricane to be the most powerful hurricane in the "Atlantic" in history. If the GOM and Caribbean weren't in existence than yes it would be. The play on words is causing everyone to think this is stronger than Hurricane Wilma - very unfortunate and cringey. The measure of strength for tropical cyclones is pressure but the general populous doesn't really know that.

I'm already seeing the clichés abound despite avoiding reading much today online - unbearable seeing predictable drivel. Should've done this Wednesday but better late than never - In before the "Could've been worse" and "Dodged a bullet"! Those main 2 have company with these: "sigh of relief", "good thing", and "Miami got lucky",

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Afraid to post it in the main thread due to being told they are crappy models BUT the UKMET has had this western idea and Cuba LF for a while leading up to today and........the CRAS (of all models) has actually led the way and outperformed the UKMET in terms of being the farthest S and W model most of the duration of Irma and has not waivered. 

The UKIE insisted on a Cuba lf until today I believe but was too far south in the days 2-5 range.    Still performed better than all the models except the Euro which is to be expected.  

Everywhere I look I see outlets and people exclaim this hurricane to be the most powerful hurricane in the "Atlantic" in history. If the GOM and Caribbean weren't in existence than yes it would be. The play on words is causing everyone to think this is stronger than Hurricane Wilma - very unfortunate and cringey. The measure of strength for tropical cyclones is pressure but the general populous doesn't really know that.

I'm already seeing the clichés abound despite avoiding reading much today online - unbearable seeing predictable drivel. Should've done this Wednesday but better late than never - In before the "Could've been worse" and "Dodged a bullet"! Those main 2 have company with these: "sigh of relief", "good thing", and "Miami got lucky",

There is more to a cyclone's "power" than just surface pressure.

Just now, Akeem the African Dream said:

Don lemon on CNN is hammering this guy who didn't evacuate the keys

Is it the same guy who said s*** twice last night on his show when talked to by Bill Wier? That was funny, after the first the bar owner kept talking as usual and then just slipped in another later - Bill then said okay we have to end this now :) .

2 minutes ago, mfgmfg said:

Is this accurate enough to say if an AF plane just flew in Cuban airspace?

08plOgv.png

Was wondering the same thing. What protocols apply in these cases?  I can't imagine that Cuba would be overly thrilled with but then again, if we share the data with them, they are fine with it or is there an agreement?

6 minutes ago, mfgmfg said:

Yeah but what I picked up from that was that NOAA had something worked out (even though they seemed to avoid flying over Cuba on their last flight) and the Air Force didn't.

NOAA has more broad based clearance and the USAF can ask for it on particular missions.  they flew in during IKE, for instance.  here's an article from an embedded reporter: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26676853/ns/weather-hurricane_ike/t/bumpy-flight-offers-birds-eye-view-ike/#.WbNevtOGOCQ

Archived