Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

23 minutes ago, David-LI said:

Read an article that said buildings in Miami Beach, where evacuations are mandatory, could collapse since all that sand underneath will turn into sea. Could that really happen?

Since I don't know what I'm talking about but want to speculate I'll reply here in the banter thread.

It seems unlikely to me but these barrier islands are not all that stable. In a place or two the buildings may be the only thing left.  I picture a situation where these well built buildings don't end up a pile of rubble, but do suffer critical damage that requires a demolition. 

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Angle of approach means everything.  

Its essentially Charley from the other direction

In a way but Charley was a pinhole eye, so even across town the winds people experienced were drastically different.  Also we got the strongest winds for minutes, whereas this storm should be bringing them for much longer.  Irma is sporting this new gigantic eye and many multiples larger area of damaging wind.  Charley was also a lightweight on the IKE scale (yet managed to carve up some barrier islands) and Irma is a freak of nature and I am concerned that it may exceed what people thought was worst case depending on the next couple days.

BTW what's your elevation where you are riding it out?

15 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

So it's supposed wheelhouse is handling troughs, and it mishandled the trough.  Amazing how people, time after time, are willing to give the NAM the benefit of the doubt.  Euro has had this all along.

4 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Wow that's West. Big shift from 12z.  That locks it for me, going to bug out.

:lmao:

5 hours ago, bobbutts said:

In a way but Charley was a pinhole eye, so even across town the winds people experienced were drastically different.  Also we got the strongest winds for minutes, whereas this storm should be bringing them for much longer.  Irma is sporting this new gigantic eye and many multiples larger area of damaging wind.  Charley was also a lightweight on the IKE scale (yet managed to carve up some barrier islands) and Irma is a freak of nature and I am concerned that it may exceed what people thought was worst case depending on the next couple days.

BTW what's your elevation where you are riding it out?

I'm well over 20 feet and am riding it out on the barrier island here in Juno at my house.

mandatory evacuation starts at 10am.  I'm on lockdown starting then.  

Surge forecast is for 5-10 feet and my max wind forecast keeps lowering.  Most recent HLS quotes sustained winds of 55-75mph with gusts to 90.  If that's all this is we probably avoid a catastrophe in Palm Beach county.  No doubt it will be a major disruption but it's better than an outright disaster here.

someone further south is going to get ****ed unless this pulls some odd turn and angle of approach that takes it farther north for landfall . 

Any thoughts from the crew on Kevin Martin trying to take advantage of Irma to build his "business"?  

Kevin's Facebook Community "Hurricane IRMA Center and Updates - Category 5"

He's issuing Hurricane Warnings and Watches, among other things, under the banner "National Weather Systems" and "Hurricane Impact Center".  Some of my Southern California friends and coworkers had thought Kevin was legit.

18 U.S. Code § 2074 - False weather reports

Fake weather is a thing.

It may not apply here but I recall when Irene was off the SE coast, that all forecasts pointed to rapid strengthening to a high Cat/low Cat 3 before making landfall in NC. Except it never happened. It stayed a Cat 1 and then made landfall as a tropical storm further north. So it is possible Irma weakens and stays a cat 3 or hopefully even lower

7 minutes ago, ncwxlvr said:

Any thoughts from the crew on Kevin Martin trying to take advantage of Irma to build his "business"?  

He's issuing Hurricane Warnings and Watches, among other things, under the banner "National Weather Systems" and "Hurricane Impact Center".  Some of my Southern California friends and coworkers had thought Kevin was legit.

Fake weather is a thing.

all he had to do was get on twitter, call himself cranky, and post some graphics....people would eat it up.  instead now he is gonna be in trouble.

38 minutes ago, ncwxlvr said:

Fake weather is a thing.

Love KM.

probably going to troll him with fake obs and reports during the storm 

34 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It may not apply here but I recall when Irene was off the SE coast, that all forecasts pointed to rapid strengthening to a high Cat/low Cat 3 before making landfall in NC. Except it never happened. It stayed a Cat 1 and then made landfall as a tropical storm further north. So it is possible Irma weakens and stays a cat 3 or hopefully even lower

Irene was such a lame storm 

10 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

I hope you post more in the banter thread since it isn't a ****show like the main thread.  

Your content gets buried and that makes me sad 

15 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

That was also reported as happening with Irma when it was approaching/reaching Cat 5 status east of the Lesser Antilles.

29 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Wow, that is incredible...

It was a tongue in cheek, probably too soon, reference to this:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ahv0#map

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/world/americas/mexico-earthquake.html

6 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Figured but the point remains.

you are the best asset this board has in terms of tropical posters and your content gets buried in that mess 

3 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

What a mess 

IMG_3877.PNG

Look, my post was based on first hand accounts of people that I know rode out the storm in that area and from media reports at the time. A family member that's lived in Southeast Florida since the sixties said it was the second worst hurricane he had ever experienced, and that the primary reason was the wind direction out of the Southwest rather than from the East. You make it seem as if I was making stuff up just to hype the situation. The threat is grave enough without embellishment. 

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Look, my post was based on first hand accounts of people that I know rode out the storm in that area and from media reports at the time. A family member that's lived in Southeast Florida since the sixties said it was the second worst hurricane he had ever experienced, and that the primary reason was the wind direction out of the Southwest rather than from the East. You make it seem as if I was making stuff up just to hype the situation. The threat is grave enough without embellishment. 

Please don't infect this thread.  Keep the **** posts to the main thread.

This thread is for mocking you and the others 

Archived