Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

the main thread is giving me a headache...  we need more mods in there.. it's going to get worst as we get closer to LF..

Don't worry, it just takes them time to keep up with the thread but stuff is getting cleaned up. I quoted the JB thing into here to try to steer the conversation about it because I knew it'd get off topic

Irma main thread is turning into a sideshow.  Wonder if the board powers-that-be have ever considered having a "posters by invitation only" thread for big storms, or some pre-qualification process?  Granted it would make for less humor, but it would get rid of the hostile know-nothings like we seem to have in droves ATM.

Just now, frostbite_falls said:

Irma main thread is turning into a sideshow.  Wonder if the board powers-that-be have ever considered having a "posters by invitation only" thread for big storms, or some pre-qualification process?  Granted it would make for less humor, but it would get rid of the hostile know-nothings like we seem to have in droves ATM.

always gets discussed, but the general consensus is that what makes this board great is the ability for weenies, hobbyist to interact with professional mets..

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

always gets discussed, but the general consensus is that what makes this board great is the ability for weenies, hobbyist to interact with professional mets..

Yes, I think restricting threads is a dangerous path. Threads can get hard to read sometimes, but the mods do a good job at cleaning out the nonsense. 

There's something called Storm Mode but it's been a long time since I've seen it enacted and it wasn't quite that strict. Maybe new registrations were closed or something? And much lower tolerance for off-topic posts. But mods can only do so much.

I do feel bad for people who blunder in and ask earnestly for MBY advice days out (a few clearly very worried about evac), but was happy to see a few get sincere responses instead of deletion or ridicule. I know only so much can be done there.

Makes sense, just venting.  Note my post count; I've been lurking here since the beginning, at Easternuswx, and the board before that (forget the name now), and have the good sense to keep my trap shut unless I have something informed and relevant to add.  Wish a few others would do the same.

Makes sense, just venting.  Note my post count; I've been lurking here since the beginning, at Easternuswx, and the board before that (forget the name now), and have the good sense to keep my trap shut unless I have something informed and relevant to add.  Wish a few others would do the same.

How much for Philly

1 minute ago, thess said:

There's something called Storm Mode but it's been a long time since I've seen it enacted and it wasn't quite that strict. Maybe new registrations were closed or something? And much lower tolerance for off-topic posts. But mods can only do so much.

I do feel bad for people who blunder in and ask earnestly for MBY advice days out (a few clearly very worried about evac), but was happy to see a few get sincere responses instead of deletion or ridicule. I know only so much can be done there.

Yeah I agree re: the poor folks that don't know any better; it's the ones with high post counts that roll in spouting aggressive uninformed nonsense and then upping the belligerence that get me.  Wonder why they haven't Storm Moded this?

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:
4 minutes ago, frostbite_falls said:

How much for Philly

Dang I guess I've arrived or something...never been asked that before.  Think I'll drink a beer.  And thanks for that!

1 minute ago, cmasty1978 said:

The real answer is that they haven't because the staff are mostly filthy icepu55ies. They also don't care about the southeast as much as the Mid Atlantic and points NE. 

This is just a theory.

wow have not heard that term in a while..  I think there has been a pretty good MET representation in there, so the board does care. 

The real answer is that they haven't because the staff are mostly filthy icepu55ies. They also don't care about the southeast as much as the Mid Atlantic and points NE. 

This is just a theory.

True. Get a stupid blizzard that causes like 3k power outages for DC and it's storm mode for the entire forum.

Archived