Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I was trying to figure out the mechanism that la Nina produces the wet conditions in the northeast and southern Canada. Is it the increase in Amazonian rainfall building the southeast ridge?  

Maybe, yeah ... I have noticed in the past as well, Nick that when the Caribbean ridge menace is lurking and bulging and imposing higher heights as far N as TX- Bermuda (axis), there are 500 mb vectors around that anti-cyclonic motion that originate over the deep sub-tropical/tropical regions of South America.  Increased rainfall --> greater latent heat release... etc..

That can then transitively/indirectly lead perhaps to more active generation of precipitating events up this way, too... ?  But, there is also an interesting countermanding argument there; the increased height tendencies in the south tends to "squeeze" the gradient, and that as we know creates higher than normal geopotential balanced winds ... and that's a shearing/muting/damper to storm genesis; that sort of lends to thinking less precipitation should result.  Hm.  not sure.  interesting..

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Maybe, yeah ... I have noticed in the past as well, Nick that when the Caribbean ridge menace is lurking and bulging and imposing higher heights as far N as TX- Bermuda (axis), there are 500 mb vectors around that anti-cyclonic motion that originate over the deep sub-tropical/tropical regions of South America.  Increased rainfall --> greater latent heat release... etc..

That can then transitively/indirectly lead perhaps to more active generation of precipitating events up this way, too... ?  But, there is also an interesting countermanding argument there; the increased height tendencies in the south tends to "squeeze" the gradient, and that as we know creates higher than normal geopotential balanced winds ... and that's a shearing/muting/damper to storm genesis; that sort of lends to thinking less precipitation should result.  Hm.  not sure.  interesting..

May lead to more cold/dry stretches during neg NAO episodes....I did note that although the east-based la nina composite featured appreciable blocking, the seasonal snowfall tallies were relatively underwhelming.

May actually have better storm genesis in the absence of blocking....which would benefit the deep interior and nne.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We'll have to watch the spokes of energy going around the ULL next week if it gets blocked up as a lot of guidance hints at...12z GFS produces a little snow event T-day out of one of the spokes.

Yeah yesterday I was using the GFS op as an example on how to run an interesting pattern. Just need to get it to amplify enough, but not over our heads either. Bit of a narrow window. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And on the clown range GEFS, I would say there is a signal on the mean for something on T-Day.

Its too bad that the Pacific is such crap right now, while the NAO is cooperative because there are some decent mid Novie events in my analog set.

That is a nice storm this week.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its too bad that the Pacific is such crap right now, while the NAO is cooperative because there are some decent mid Novie events in my analog set.

I would say the Pacific, well the Rockies to west coast area, is favorable through later next week. The GEFS setup certainly is favorable for EC cyclogenesis somewhere as depicted. Whether that happens is another story...but that's a decent look. I feel like the PAC and the -NAO both relax afterwards for a time.

And ...like we elaborated yesterday, it should -

That is, if the -NAO has/had any legs.  Well, low and behold, don't look now but this run of the Euro finally after like three days of denial.. depicts a negative NAO.

The fact that this did this even once broke it's own stalwart continuity speaks volumes. 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And ...like we elaborated yesterday, it should -

That is, if the -NAO has/had any legs.  Well, low and behold, don't look now but this run of the Euro finally after like three days of denial.. depicts a negative NAO.

The fact that this did this even once broke it's own stalwart continuity speaks volumes. 

The euro ensembles still have a pretty good low heading by Toronto. I think the s/w itself is pretty sharp, thus causing that track. 

Archived