Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

49 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I thought it would. Similar ideas to yours though.

I got the impression that while the general sentiment regarding the overgeneralization of la Nina was one resounding commonality, he seemed even colder than I am.

I really didn't get the impression that he envisioned much in the way of a relent....didn't see any positive temp departures or negative precip. anomalies for us.

The difference lies in the Pacific....he is intimating that we will see +PDO season, while I am near neutral on that with a decided nod in the RNA direction as it relates to more stochastic influences.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMC has a decent coastal low for Wednesday now.   Cold air lagging behind so mainly rain as depicted.  GFS looks a bit closer with the offshore system as well but just scrapes eastern areas with some rain.   With temps fairly mild ahead of the system it's hard to imagine anything  wintry in SNE and especially down low and the coastal regions but perhaps if the storm trends stronger and the colder air works in toward the end someone could coat it up in the western high terrain especially. Like others have said,  that is a nice deep trough towards day 8 but  outside of the usual lake effect and upslope areas we end up mainly cold and dry as depticted currently but at least the trough is deep and the cold is there so it's worthy of perhaps watching  for any changes.   

CMC Wed..png

GFS Wed.png

GFS 180.png

2 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

CMC has a decent coastal low for Wednesday now.   Cold air lagging behind so mainly rain as depicted.  GFS looks a bit closer with the offshore system as well but just scrapes eastern areas with some rain.   With temps fairly mild ahead of the system it's hard to imagine anything  wintry in SNE and especially down low and the coastal regions but perhaps if the storm trends stronger and the colder air works in toward the end someone could coat it up in the western high terrain especially. Like others have said,  that is a nice deep trough towards day 8 but  outside of the usual lake effect and upslope areas we end up mainly cold and dry as depticted currently but at least the trough is deep and the cold is there so it's worthy of perhaps watching  for any changes.   

CMC Wed..png

GFS Wed.png

GFS 180.png

Thanksgiving 85  I remember it was a cold heavy rain that turned into pinged fest in S Worc County; it was an awful morning for football!

Some of the guidance has shortwaves embedded in the longwave trough over us next week. So we can't rule out a smallish event within that cold shot. I think the bigger 11/25 threat though is gone because the NAO block trended too far north and not west enough. 

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I have to remind myself it is 11/19.  At least for me anything before 12/10-15 is unexpected gravy.

Mmmm...gravy....I can’t wait until Thursday.  I really don’t get too hyped for winter events before 12/1 or so,  nice to see early flakes and a coating, but no big deal.

Looking back at the pattern you could see some potential but there was never any real consistent threat.  Climo was never on our side down here to begin with so it always felt like an uphill battle. At least temps have adjusted downward significantly this month and the usual suspects have enjoyed some lighter snowfalls.  Now let's see how thing unfold heading into December. 

There was potential for a threat. But a day 9 OP run showing a snow event isn't a real threat. Otherwise we basically have a threat at day 9 for 2-3 months straight during the peak of winter. 

The key was always the NAO block going gangbusters...and it just doesn't appear it will do that (and it was admittedly low probability). We are definitely getting an NAO block...but you need more than just a cookie cutter Greenland block in November when the PAC isn't totally cooperative. You need a big west based monster. 

But this is typical. You don't generally get big events in November. We're more likely to get a little 1-3 incher from maybe an embedded shortwave that flies through within a deeper trough. 

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Don't recall seeing it posted in your forum before, so in case you didn't know,  the Euro monthly forecasts are on the weather.us site with a ton of parameters. 

https://weather.us/monthly-charts

Those guys made a deal with the devil. Not sure how they can just throw out free data like that unless the lead site developer is sleeping with the head of the ECMWF.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Those guys made a deal with the devil. Not sure how they can just throw out free data like that unless the lead site developer is sleeping with the head of the ECMWF.

They're adding the stratosphere and wave model data on the other site soon too. Pretty crazy what they're doing. They're giving the big middle finger to JB and JoeD'A.

Archived