Dano62
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Kevin is at 1000'

i really dont think 40 miles North east at similiar elevation equals over 8 inches automatically.  (Perhaps it does )

there are some southern scrapers where he does better, thou certainly more where he may trail(S.W.F.E)

Oh easily. I think of a few events where ORH got over 6" and Kevin a coating. The latitude and longitude as Will said can make up for that. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh easily. I think of a few events where ORH got over 6" and Kevin a coating. The latitude and longitude as Will said can make up for that. 

Those are extreme examples.

I would also Say that there is probably a

Better chance the worcester Coop Could Be

Under a couple Inches and Kev Is 64" and they are 70-71. 

I do not believe the co-op measures as consistently or are as dedicated as Posters here.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I do not believe the co-op measures as consistently or are as dedicated as Posters here.

Well Will is the measurer. :lol:   I think he has done a fair job.  He also helped BOX reconstruct snowfall during the 96-02 (give or take) timeframe when ASOS implementation screwed it up.  They aren't extreme examples. There are several storms a winter where ORH will do 2-3" or more better than Tolland. That's not offsetted by the south of the pike scrapers. 

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OK, 5 pages of DITs location and snowfall analysis should about do it. /

Late next week onward keeps poking at me. Figure once we get the block setup, we should get a better picture whether or not any of the rotated lobes can dig deep enough to pop a redeveloper. Interior still favored esp NH/ME. 

Can’t take the heat.. git out the kitchen 

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

All the winter folks but a few are back posting.  When wxniss chimes in we know we’re tracking something legit.

JC in CT, in case we didnt know the state he lived in, is the unofficial Dr No in CT. Once he starts posting the individual ens members and pointing out the rogue one as the “storm can still wiff”.....then winter has begun. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I haven't seen good evidence to support the 6-7" difference. Doesn't mean its impossible but I have looked at this stuff over and over again for like 15 years. During my time forecasting for Union CT, I averaged about 9" more than them. Granted, only 11 years of data and over a longer time span that difference might shrink some but you get the idea...it wasn't during a snow drought for CT either...and Union at 1100 feet 15 miles northeast of kevin no doubt averages more than him. And I agree it's possible the averages are all bumped up...I mean, unless disaster strikes in the next 3 years, ORH is going to be at like 73" or 74" for the 1991-2020 normals. But usually when I talk about averages, I mean long term and not the 30 year average. Even over 30 years you can insert some decent noise. 

Measuring isn't perfect so you only can go with the data you have. Especially if comparing someone else's measurements. They are supposed to be homogenous but they probably aren't. In the end, parsing 6 or 7" versus 9" or 10" is going to be difficult to prove on a 100% empirical basis, but given my personal knowledge of interior MA and northeast CT, I feel pretty comfortable sticking to my numbers. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BTW...weeklies and end of the EPS run says we go back to El Niño. Lol. Big western ridge and Aleutian low. Actually a decent pattern. We will see as we get closer. 

And some said weeklies were worth worrying about.

Stay the course, should have a good start to winter unlike the past several. 

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And some said weeklies were worth worrying about.

Stay the course, should have a good start to winter unlike the past several. 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Polar opposite of what Leo said he heard.

I must have missed that. But yeah, the weeklies actually look pretty good. Not the pattern I'd expect in La Niña though. We will see if it holds but it has ensemble support in the 13-15 day range. Obviously we know that could change that far out. Def a big positive PNA pattern. 

It’s good to see that it’s only November 17th and things look a lot better at this point than they did the past 2 years. Seeing at least some sort of blocking show up already in November is a telling sign that it will occur frequently this winter I think. 

Thats why I don’t get why some people are getting all nerved up because we’re not even into it yet lol

People freak out over oranges in Canada and nrn US. That's not bad when that happens. It usually means some sort of Aleutian or GOAK low with a more +PNA. Sure maybe Canada is not an ice box, but climo begins to get cold regardless in December. AN in Canada still means cold and possibly snowy. In addition, as modeled... it's not even a blowtorch pattern for Canada. Just AN. That's ok for us...especially the interior. With the models showing lower heights over the SE US, that may indicate storminess and srn stream action. It's an interesting pattern and I share the same thought as Will. Did not expect that whatsoever. Of course we are not at verification time, but I think it's valid to a point. I also notice the MJO forcing has trended weaker. If there is any CCKW or what have you out there...that can circle the globe and maybe that is helping with the look. Or, it's forced from wave breaking and just one of those things that happen from a big bombing low...etc. Certainly a head scratcher...but Mother Nature is humbling. 

Archived