Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Right... but he’s acting like he’s in the Swiss Alps with some of these posts. Nobody around here has snow climo this time of year... I don’t care if you’re in Tolland or Acushnet... it’s basically all the same at this point.

Everyones November average is basically made up from years they saw snow and years they didn’t. Many more have not years. So even that 2” average or whatever is wildly misleading 

Lmao....Cmon Brett, you didn't know Mount Tolland has an Alpine climate?  They serve Swiss Miss instant cocoa up there starting in November. 

46 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I average around 40", Brett's a few inches more on the other side of town.

Not going to lie, it's funny how exact these discussions get.  I mean, we're talking about a few inches over a season...debating small differences of mere inches over 3-4 months worth of accumulation seems relatively trivial.  

Try a 175" range within one town ;).  Even up to 100" seasonal difference in 5 miles and 700ft difference in elevation change.  Without elevation change, you'd still be looking at a foot or more of snow per mile in annual snowfall for a gradient up here.  Tomorrow morning will be a good example.

49 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Care to elaborate Berg?  Not a whole lot going on in here...so what did it show?

Block sets up as the weekend system wraps up to our north. Ridge out west starts flexing a bit. Then next week you have a bunch of sw’s diving underneath it. There’s cold air around too so while nothing printed out “boom”, a northern stream dominated flow can pop a miller B inside 3-4days. 

I’ve never said lock and loaded monster snowstorm for all on turkey week, this is where you were wrong. Regardless how decent it looks, could still yield rainers and fropas except nne. All Im saying is that I will take this potential all the time and we should all pray before the turkey is carved that this look occurs in winter.

49 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lmao....Cmon Brett, you didn't know Mount Tolland has an Alpine climate?  They serve Swiss Miss instant cocoa up there starting in November. 

If I lived there, I'd want his elevation.  It may be a running joke, but he's in a relatively better spot than surrounding areas.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If I lived there, I'd want his elevation.  It may be a running joke, but he's in a relatively better spot than surrounding areas.

Yea. It matters some in borderline events early and late in season. like down on 84 its a slurpee while he clears 2” of paste off his deck on March 30th. 

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not going to lie, it's funny how exact these discussions get.  I mean, we're talking about a few inches over a season...debating small differences of mere inches over 3-4 months worth of accumulation seems relatively trivial.  

Try a 175" range within one town ;).  Even up to 100" seasonal difference in 5 miles and 700ft difference in elevation change.  Without elevation change, you'd still be looking at a foot or more of snow per mile in annual snowfall for a gradient up here.  Tomorrow morning will be a good example.

I don't think there is 100' variation in elevation within a 20' radius of TAN. lol. no orographic enhancement here.  all thermal gradient.

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Block sets up as the weekend system wraps up to our north. Ridge out starts flexing a bit. Then next week you have a bunch of sw’s diving underneath it. There’s cold air around too so while nothing printed out “boom”, a northern stream dominated flow can pop a miller B inside 3-4days. 

I’ve never said lock and loaded monster snowstorm for all on turkey week, this is where you were wrong. Regardless how decent it looks, could still yield rainers and fropas except nne. All Im saying is that I will take this potential all the time and we should all pray before the turkey is carved that this look occurs in winter.

Great explanation....thank you.  And I agree with you about the look occurring in a more climatological favored time/winter for us.

And BTW...I never said you said that about being locked and loaded...I thought you were razzing me about being uncertain...so I said if you want to make a call for next week, that's fine. I think you misunderstood me totally, and I misunderstood you as well.  

No big deal at all..it's forgotten:-). 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. It matters some in borderline events early and late in season. like down on 84 its a slurpee while he clears 2” of paste off his deck on March 30th. 

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What Berg said.  Borderline events early and late season he does better yes. After that not so much...unless your talking about the shore obviously. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Great explanation....thank you.  And I agree with you about the look occurring in a more climatological favored time/winter for us.

And BTW...I never said you said that about being locked and loaded...I thought you were razzing me about being uncertain...so I said if you want to make a call for next week, that's fine. I think you misunderstood me totally, and I misunderstood you as well.  

Bo big deal at all..it's forgotten:-). 

It’s all in good fun, nothing should be taken seriously or personal.

Anytime you get pieces of energy breaking off in western canada and slinging southeast, that’s something that I can never trust a silly computer to get right. There is too large of upstream error to have any sort of accuracy downstream. 

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Like has been said, in super marginal events during the fringe season... he may see an inch while everyone else gets white rain.

Its also important to note that it doesn’t matter much during the meat of the season. 

Id actually take my location over his for most of the year. We do big storms pretty well here... I’ll take having a shot at the big dog over higher average any day. 

That area is due for regression in big storms I think. They’ve lucked out big time. Areas just to the west and even east haven’t fared as well in big storms. March 2013 comes to mind.

Maybe I’m wrong, and that is the climo there... but it seems they’ve lucked out relative to other areas 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Like has been said, in super marginal events during the fringe season... he may see an inch while everyone else gets white rain.

Its also important to note that it doesn’t matter much during the meat of the season. 

Id actually take my location over his for most of the year. We do big storms pretty well here... I’ll take having a shot at the big dog over higher average any day. 

That area is due for regression in big storms I think. They’ve lucked out big time. Areas just to the west and even east haven’t fared as well in big storms. March 2013 comes to mind.

Maybe I’m wrong, and that is the climo there... but it seems they’ve lucked out relative to other areas 

They've def been lucky there in big storms recently...they used to get dryslotted a lot in previous big storms...or simply be too far west in a few others. That said, there's also snow retention where the elevation helps too. Those 38-40F days in the valley where its 32-35F up in the hills add up throughout the winter on snow retention. Tolland doesn't hold CAD nearly as well as the east slope of the ORH hills and doesn't get the upslope effect on easterly and northeasterl flow as much as ORH hills...so his location doesn't quite take advantage as much but there's def still some big differences during the season depending on the storm setup.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Likewise you (and me for that matter) are due to regress. We have also been lucky. I am not sure I would take your spot over Tolland. He has better retention...and I am not sure I would say you have a better shot of the big dogs. Might be some recent confirmation bias. In the 6-12 range, he would own you. 

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You’ve been lucky in big storms . You can go 5-10 or more years there without a big storm . You’ve been spoiled . You will regress for 5-10 years here at some point. It’s inevitable. I’m by no means a great snow spot, but am in far better position than SE Mass. And for a whiner .. if I were you.. I’d worry 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ve been lucky in big storms . You can go 5-10 or more years there without a big storm . You’ve been spoiled . You will regress for 5-10 years here at some point. It’s inevitable. I’m by no means a great snow spot, but am in far better position than SE Mass. And for a whiner .. if I were you.. I’d worry 

Your posting is about a -5SD tonight...and that says something.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Likewise you (and me for that matter) are due to regress. We have also been lucky. I am not sure I would take your spot over Tolland. He has better retention...and I am not sure I would say you have a better shot of the big dogs. Might be some recent confirmation bias. In the 6-12 range, he would own you. 

Oh.... I’m due for  some serious regression here. I recognize that. Both can be true... he can be due for regression in big events, and I can be due for regression overall 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Under measured forevah, PVD is not Providence for those who don't know, it's Warwick RI on the bay 

Providence is still pretty low relative to a lot of NE...but yeah, I'd say the city is probably closer to 40 than the airport's 36 and the northern side and northwest side of city are prob another inch or two higher.

Archived